• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing just got my epoxy for my first bedding job???

jimmyrjessie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
just got my epoxy to bed a few rifles a rem,700 300 rum, rem. 700 sps 204 ruger and a tikka t3 270 never done it before but done lots of reading on here i also have a savage in 17 hmr i thought about doing just for practice i dont really care weather it is beded or not, do yall think i should just go for it on my 3 good rifles or practice on it first?

Re: just got my epoxy for my first bedding job???

just do the good ones. it is not that hard and if you are doing it on a good rifle you are bound to do it right. jmho

Thanks dgunn i am a little nervous just want it to look professional. and shrink my groups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks dgunn i am a little nervous just want it to look professional. and shrink my groups </div></div>

Make sure your prep is solid and you'll be GTG. I have a bedding post here thats pretty solid and easy to follow. I believe "Fool Proof" is the term that was used to describe it
wink.gif
Good luck.

I have seen and read your post and it is the method i have decided to use. thank you for taking the time to take pictures and write your post!

Glad to help. The first bedding job is always the hardest. You'll do fine.

I am planning on making pillars yp bed at the same time will this also help?

As Roscoe posted above, his video is pretty damn solid. I have bedded rifles for years and I even learned some on that one...the wd40 was "the chit".

Just remember, lock yourself up when its done for about 12 hours...that frst one is hard not to jack with while its drying, but then again, I have been accused of being a little hyper at times.

Good luck to you,

can u give me the link to the video i cant remember how i found it so i can refresh one mor time i will post some pics as i am doing it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on making pillars yp bed at the same time will this also help? </div></div>

When pillar bedding a stock I attach the pillars to the receiver every time. Lately, I've been cutting the length of my pillars so they're very close to their completed length. Just a small change I've made to the system I posted. Makes the final clean up quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can u give me the link to the video i cant remember how i found it so i can refresh one mor time i will post some pics as i am doing it too. </div></div>

Clickity Click

thankyou for all your help you guys have been alot of help.

I just did my first bedding job on my Rem 700 which is coated with Birdsong Black T into a $560 Mcmillan EDGE. I was pretty nervous about it, but it turned out great. Spend most of the time on your prep and memorizing each step so you don't forget anything. I also practiced taking out the trigger and boltstop/bolstop spring so I wouldn't forget how it went back after everything was done. Release agent and tape are your friends.

I did my first bedding project it came out ok i had a small area where the ejection port is cut out that has a void in it about 2 in. long and .200 wide the rest of the job looks great nice finish. what should i do about this void leave it or fix it. if i fix it how should i do it?

300ultra What epoxy are you going to use?.

One thing I can offer is dont mess with the Tikka. I have seen more good shooting T3s ruined by an attempted bedding job than I have seen improved. The system used with their bedding is quite a bit differnet than a 700 and I have yet to see a repeatable method that has shown to offer any real improvments.