• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just got my SS 10x42 HD

Starbelly

Private
Minuteman
Well, I know its not top of the line, but it is a huge upgrade from the Walmart Leupold I had mounted. I am taking it to the range Friday morning to zero and do a little box testing. I have it mounted and boresighted already, the only issue I am noticing so far is that with the Burris xtr rings it is parallel with the bore but maybe a 16th to the right of center? It needed only a minor elevation adjustment when boresighting at home. How much of an accuracy error would this very slight offset cause, if any, when shooting under 500 yds?

Anyway, I figure I'll post some pics when I get back. Should be a fun weekend...

Re: Just got my SS 10x42 HD

I used to have a set of those rings and if i did not have the clamp side with nut pointing to the right side they were off center. try flipping them the opposite way that you have them.

I tried both ways, the offset is always to the fixed claw side, I think they are not cut quite deep enough at the factory. Plus the directions (I actually read them) state that the rings only have a vertical recoil support in one direction, nut on the left. Maybe I need to torque them to the recommended 65 to 100 in/lbs. I will post pics, but the offset is very small, probably not enough to effect anything at the distances I shoot. Its just a little disappointing when you get new gear and spend the time getting the right tools and levels only to have a slight manufacturing flaw drive you nuts.But I wasn't willing to fork over the cash for Badgers, not yet anyway. Maybe I'm just suffering from OCD.

Range trip tomorrow morning, but I will only be able to do 100 and 200 yd distances, should be able to get a good idea for how well the mil adj tracks. I torqued the rings to the rails at 70 in/lbs and it seems a little more centered? I also went a little higher with my rings this time to be able to look through the center of my corrective lenses, vs out of the top edge and it makes a big difference.

IMAG0044 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

IMAG0045 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

IMAG0046 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

Congrats man! It looks really nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I know its not top of the line, but... </div></div>

Lots of people (including us) would beg to differ with your initial statement. Don't judge it by price alone. You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you compare it side by side to "top of the line" scopes.

If you got the XTR's from us we would be glad to replace them with another brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I know its not top of the line, but... </div></div>

Lots of people (including us) would beg to differ with your initial statement. Don't judge it by price alone. You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you compare it side by side to "top of the line" scopes.

If you got the XTR's from us we would be glad to replace them with another brand. </div></div>

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that it wasn't top of the line quality, just not top of the the line price wise (most of the guys on this board who get jacked up about taking pics of their new scopes are talking Night Force, Swaro, S and B etc) I was actually very happy to get the SS in the mail and excited to open the box. And you are absolutely right, after taking it out today I can attest that it one hell of a scope. As far as the mounts go... thanks for the offer to replace but I'm keeping them, off center or not. Here's why... I did a simple bore sighting at home, then went to the range this morning. I put a target out at 35 yds and my second shot was a bulls eye with ZERO windage needed and only .2 mils of elevation. After those 2 shots I moved over to the 100yd range (no need to use any more ammo), my first 2 shots were high as expected. I over corrected on the 3rd, then brought it back up and fired a 10 shot group. You can see the 13 shots...
IMAG0050 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

IMAG0049 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

I then moved to the 200 yd range. This was my first time using a mil dot reticle and first stab at mil adjustments too but once I got the hang of adjusting for the wind (10-15 r to l) I was able to get the 5 shot group in the center of the next pic.
IMAG0051 by GtrJosh, on Flickr

I'm not sure how these shots stack up against the more experienced guys, but I will say that today was by far my best day at the range and the only thing different was I had the SS 10x42 mounted. So I think the proof is in the pudding...

I was going to box test, but I was having so much fun, that I spent the next 2 hours hammering the steel rapid fire at 200, couldn't miss today!

I've heard nothing but good things about that scope

Do you have any play in your knobs? My HD seems to have a small amount...about .05MRAD of play. However, after box testing it yesterday I didn't really see an issue as long as I'm within .1MRAD I'm pretty much hitting bullseye every time.

According to SWFA's websight the H.D.'s F.O.V. is 10.5ft at 100yards compared to 13ft at 100yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have any play in your knobs? My HD seems to have a small amount...about .05MRAD of play. However, after box testing it yesterday I didn't really see an issue as long as I'm within .1MRAD I'm pretty much hitting bullseye every time. </div></div>

Nope, no play that I noticed. I haven't rotated the turrets all the way in both directions though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I know its not top of the line, but... </div></div>

I'm finishing up a little testing with both the 3-9 and the 10xHD SS scope. Just a quick heads up, I think it would be a mistake to think that the price dictates a lack of quality. These are very solid scopes that see very well.

This scope is on my short list of purchases, based on the reviews that I have seen here at the hide like your's. Thanks.

For the record I love the ss10x42 that i have on my ar10. But i really just wanted to compliment the laziness of the yellow lab on the first picture in the background.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious if the HD model has the same nice and wide FOV as the non HD 10X SS

Anyone know for sure? </div></div>
I just purchased the 10x HD model and I also have the 10x non HD model. The non HD has a noticeably wider FOV. the reticle on the non HD seems to be thinner also.

I just order one myself and ups droped it off at my front door today. Looking forward to see how it compares with the IOR and MK4 scopes I own.