• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just how bad is the Mark 6 M5B2?

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
My local buy sell (not US based) has been having a few Mark 6s pop up lately at pretty good prices.

I like the specs on the Mark 6, but I've heard mixed (mostly bad) reports on the M5C2 model but when it comes to the B2 I've not heard a single good thing about them.

Is it all Internet hearsay or are they really that atrocious?

My local buy sell (not US based) has been having a few Mark 6s pop up lately at pretty good prices.

I like the specs on the Mark 6, but I've heard mixed (mostly bad) reports on the M5C2 model but when it comes to the B2 I've not heard a single good thing about them.

Is it all Internet hearsay or are they really that atrocious?
Can you throw a link up to the reviews? I tend to trust anonymous web reviews like an Adam Schiff 'we have the proof' press conference. Having said that a buddy considering one of these and I want to forward them his way and let him decide.

Reactions: Halberdier
I have had one for years on one of my Larues, it has been used alot, and never an issue at all. What issues have people had with them?

If your reviews are from this website, I wouldn’t completely trust them. Leupold has a very bad rap on this website and is pretty much hated here.

When the M5B2 first came out, it had some tracking issues. That was many years ago. They have seemed to fix that problem awhile ago. The M5C2 scopes are awesome scopes. I really like the Mark 8, Mark 6, and Mark 5 scopes with them.

The M5B2 turrets aren’t bad, just not as nice as others.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one at all if the price is right.

I have had one for years on one of my Larues, it has been used alot, and never an issue at all. What issues have people had with them?

Have heard reliable reports of tracking issues many Mark 6 scopes, but I'd seem a trip too Leupold can fix that.

Specific issues with the B2 turret is the clicks being very mushy and issues with the turrets never lining up, so being half a click out.

The other concern is that the pinch to turn feature can be difficult to pinch if it's not in the 12o'clock or 6o'clock position.

Had a pinch and turn mk6 since they came out, mounted on whatever needed a scope. Always worked as advertised, pinch and turn turrets are so so, not great but better than nothing, found them quick to learn how to use. Glass was suprsingly good, scopes are lightweight,work great on an AR. Sold mine recently since I got a mk5, need to get a mk5 4-18.

Pinch turrets are meh and too high. The low profile upgrade makes the scope perfect.

Thanks, I've sent an email to the custom shop to see if the C2 turret can be retrofitted.

Regardless, if the price is right I might just give it a go. Can always resell if I don't like it.

Thanks, I've sent an email to the custom shop to see if the C2 turret can be retrofitted.

Regardless, if the price is right I might just give it a go. Can always resell if I don't like it.

Which Mk6 are you looking at?

I have a 3-18 with the turret upgrade, Horus reticle and all the bells whistles and cerakoted basically just sitting around I was thinking of selling.

Which Mk6 are you looking at?

I have a 3-18 with the turret upgrade, Horus reticle and all the bells whistles and cerakoted basically just sitting around I was thinking of selling.

It's for sale on another website.

I live in New Zealand and don't tend to use the Buy/sell here due to people (understandably) not wanting to ship stuff internationally.

I did a review on the Mk 6 M5B2 3-18 a few years back. At that point the optics we roughly equivalent to many $1.5k scopes. Now though I can tell you they don't keep up with sub $1k Sightron SIII I did a review on last year and although that scope is muck larger than the Mk 6, it is not significantly heavier.

The big thing about the MK 6 is that it is very light and very short but still has ok optics. The issues it has is that it is very expensive and tends to have problems with accuracy in adjustment magnitude. The one I had was 2-5% off out of the box. Leupold fixed this but a few years later it was back to being off again and I sold it part for that and part because I just don't think it is optically good enough for the price anymore. Basically, I think the optical design is just too aggressive on these things and the price is too high.

As for the B2 adjustment, it has a bit of a squishy feel that some don't like. I rather liked the design though. I liked the independently movable outer ring as well as the robust zero stop set screw. Mine never malfunctioned beyond having issues with the adjustment magnitude and I believe that had more to do with the optical design than the adjustment itself.

Reactions: roamin
I did a review on the Mk 6 M5B2 3-18 a few years back. At that point the optics we roughly equivalent to many $1.5k scopes. Now though I can tell you they don't keep up with sub $1k Sightron SIII I did a review on last year and although that scope is muck larger than the Mk 6, it is not significantly heavier.

The big thing about the MK 6 is that it is very light and very short but still has ok optics. The issues it has is that it is very expensive and tends to have problems with accuracy in adjustment magnitude. The one I had was 2-5% off out of the box. Leupold fixed this but a few years later it was back to being off again and I sold it part for that and part because I just don't think it is optically good enough for the price anymore. Basically, I think the optical design is just too aggressive on these things and the price is too high.

As for the B2 adjustment, it has a bit of a squishy feel that some don't like. I rather liked the design though. I liked the independently movable outer ring as well as the robust zero stop set screw. Mine never malfunctioned beyond having issues with the adjustment magnitude and I believe that had more to do with the optical design than the adjustment itself.

Thanks for your indepth opinion.

Off topic a little, the Mark 5HD has improved basically all these issues with improved glass, has it not?
Or is it bound by the same shortcomings due to the ultra short design and 44mm objective.