• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just in time for Christmas: Tac Ops Kilo-51

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Well, my Tactical Operations Kilo-51 arrived a couple of weeks ago and I finally got a chance to get it to the range. Conditions were rough for shooting, but I was at the range already to try and get the suppressor transfer going, so I figured I would put a few downrange anyway.

122210Kilo51110yds.jpg

I was really pleased at how well it shot given the conditions at the range, my capabilites, and the fact that I am using factory ammunition at least a decade old that I got on discount from the CMP. I was able to shoot this 5X5 that averaged just under half MOA... I knew things were going to be good when during sight in, I shot a 3-shot group right in the same hole... to the point that I was scanning the target looking through my scope for the second hole. When I shot the third shot, I knew where it was.

I have also shot a couple of 5-shot groups in the .2's (one of them is on the 5X5). I am not posting any of these out of respect for the 5-shot rule, which I whole-heartedly support. No doubt, this rifle will shoot half MOA 5-shot groups "all day long." I am still working on producing a quarter MOA 5X5 with factory ammo. I know Mike Miller has shot a sub-1/4 MOA 5X5 with his Tac Ops rifle using factory ammo, so with a little improvement in my shooting skills and ideal conditions, I think it should be possible. Not to be a wuss about the wind or anything, but if you are trying to shoot .25 MOA groups, it becomes a factor.

Here are the specs on the rifle:
- Remington 700 action trued to Tac Ops specs
- Tac Ops proprietary ground recoil lug
- 22" 1:10" twist Krieger barrel, MTU contour
- Chamber reamed with a proprietary Tac Ops reamer designed to shoot FGMM accurately (and it does!)
- Remington factory trigger tuned to what feels like 2.5 pounds or so. It breaks likes glass.
- 2-piece base. I wasn't a fan of this at first, but talked to Mike Rescigno about it and I have to admit, it has grown on me... and given the accuracy of the rifle, I am not likely to change it out.
- McMillan A3-5 stock. Mike R said that they test the bed job for zero movement to ensure max repeatability. It works for me.
- Rifle finished with Birdsong proprietary Black-T and Green-T finish. This finish is highly durable and corrosion resistant while being very thin (much thinner than, say, DuraCoat or Cerakote). It is also self-lubricating.

I know people are going to want pics of the rifle, but I suck at pics. I prefer pics of targets to pics of rifles, anyway. But I must admit, the build quality on Mike's guns are phenomenal.

I will probably do a more detailed write-up in the future for those who don't know about Tac Ops. For those that do, here are a few things that surprised me about the rifle:
- Tight vs. Loose: A lot of people have talked about the tight tolerances of the Tac Ops impeding function. I actually found the bolt to be pretty loose, but then clamp down tighly as I locked the lugs up. I was using old FGMM, which ranged in condition from discolored to downright corroded, and the gun had no issues chambering the ammo. I haven't tried to stuff rocks and mud in the chamber to see if it will still work, but based on my very limited experience (which, given, has been on a square 1-way range), function hasn't really been an issue.
- Birdsong Finish: It is a lot darker in person than pictures may show. All pictures I have seen show a mustard appearance. The green is a true olive drab and very very flat. The black texturing was not fully flat... it seemed to have a semi-gloss to it. I think this varies from batch to batch.
- Weight: The rifle was incredible well-balanced. With a Premier 5-25X56mm scope on top and Harris bipod, it weighs around 15.5 pounds. The A3-5 stock is a little less chunkier up front (compared to the A-5), putting the weight towards the butt, which makes it very wieldy.

I will be looking forward to reporting more results as I get more time behind this rifle. For the sake of economy, I am going to be switching to handloads pretty soon, but I would like to show what this gun can do at 300, 600, and 1,000 yards with factory match ammo just for comparisons sake.

Re: Just in time for Christmas: Tac Ops Kilo-51

That is the right way to post a target and much more telling than simply posting the best group out of 20 tries.

thanks for posting... enjoy the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is the right way to post a target and much more telling than simply posting the best group out of 20 tries.

thanks for posting... enjoy the rifle. </div></div>

Thanks... I was poking around the other day and found surprisingly few 5X5's posted on this site, given the policy. I had to resist the urge to cut and past several 1/4 inch 5-shot groups... I didn't really want to show the groups that were around those:)

BTW... I forgot to mention that I was shooting with 175grain FGMM. Kind of a waste at ~100 yards, but it is what I have on hand.

Awesome Christmas present! I'm jealous.

Congrats on the Tac Ops. My Tango is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I look forward to your reviews of your Tac Ops. I'm waiting on a Underground Skunkworks Recon to come in. I think it's going to give my Tango a run for it's money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the Tac Ops. My Tango is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I look forward to your reviews of your Tac Ops. I'm waiting on a Underground Skunkworks Recon to come in. I think it's going to give my Tango a run for it's money. </div></div>

There are two things you can count on for a Tac Ops: 1) it will be dead nutz accurate, 2) it will be perfect. I can't find a single flaw with this gun. I will post some pics when I get the chance. It is awesome! The only problem with it is that the gun way out-shoots me, so I have no one to blame but me for my bad shots:-(

you have to have pictures of the rifle to make us all jealous but I do commend you on such nice groups. That makes me jealous in multiple areas now
grin.gif

Carter, do you plan on handloading for you Tac Ops? It is amazing how accurate a Tac Ops is with factory 168g GMM ammo. I have been shooting 155g Secnar bullets and Varget and it has been performing better than the 168g GMM.

Yes. I already shot 43.0 grains of Varget under a 175 grain SMK this last week. I haven't really worked up a load, but I just stole that recipe as a pretty accurate, safe recipe. I loaded 10 rounds and it shot a sub-1/4 MOA 5 shot group and then about a .75 MOA group that was a one-hole group of 4 and a flyer. The flyer was all me.

Right now, I am going to get a custom die from Neil Jones, so I am going to shoot through the same brass 3 times and send them for him to fab up a custom. Mike Miller said that you can't top FGMM at short range... My very limited experience --10 shots-- looks promising.

Carter Mayfield,

Tac Ops Kilo-51
Premier Heritage 5-25x56mm Scope
Custom Neil Jones dies
1/4 MOA 5 shot groups

And you giddy as a school girl contemplating her first date with the star quarterback......

Have you no shame??? Children are starving somewhere. And you have thrown an expensive gauntlet down. How can poor folks keep up??

You are a capitalist sir, and a profligate waster of scarce resources. You should feel shame, not pride......

Oh, and:

Ichers.jpg

Bob,

It was funny... on my first trip to the range, I felt like a virgin on his wedding night... wondering if I could perform to standards. It is exciting and scary at the same time. I was a big ball of nervous fear on my first couple of shots, then I settled down once I saw that it was performing and actually helping me get 'er done.

Yes, I will get some pitchers up...

Oh, and I just re-measured those hand-loaded groups. The small one was just over 1/4 MOA (about .285) and the big one with the flyer was about 1/2 MOA (.55) with flyer. This is with a ruler, not calipers. Just 2 groups doesn't tell you much, but I think I can do well with handloads, and I at least feel like I have more control over the ammo. That FGMM has off-center flashholes and over 5 thou of runout in a lot of cases. It is a miracle it shoots as accurately as it does.

Oh, and BTW... I have only 5 rifles, so I can afford to splurge on a setup or two...

Carter, I copied Mike Millers load for his Tac Ops and it shoots great in my Tango 51. I never had to do any load development. It was wonderful. What made you go with Neil Jones dies?

I like Neil Jones for the following reasons:
- die resembles chamber, minimizing stress on brass
- you get the benefits of neck-only sizing in terms of concentricity, but you are controlling headspace by sizing every time... basically, you are tightly controlling all the dimensions
- the unique bushing used in the Neil Jones die leaves no portion of the neck untouched (I kind of like that just because... not any major benefit other than if I decide to re-turn my necks down the road, I won't have to use a FL die first).

Overall, I think custom dies are the way to go in a custom gun, but many many people "get by" without one.

All, I don't think I will be able to get those pics up tonight. Maybe tomorrow night...

Great rifle and nice shooting. Mike will most likely be building my next rifle. I really want a TANGO-51. He attention to detail are second to none. BTW. Where did you get that target? Thanks.

Congrat's on the new stick! Great shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great rifle. Nice shooting. Where did you get that target? Thanks.</div></div>

They used to be posted on a downloadable site hosted by Lowlight. I tried to pull the files down recently and could not pull them down, so I don't know if they are still around.

Thanks for the ups on the shooting. I know I can do better with this hammer...

Cant wait to see some pics. I have this same rifle on order and would love to see what I can expect to get when it is done. Great shooting.

Carter,

What stock does the Kilo 51 use? Also, is this the rifle your Tac Ops .30 suppressor going on?

Jamie

The Kilo 51 is an A3-5 adjustable stock. I finally got to see my suppressor... looked phenomenal. My SOT was pretty impressed as well and you can imagine he sees a lot of them come through.

Yes, this gun will ultimately end up with the Tac 30 suppressor. I hope to fire it suppressed this weekend or next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kilo 51 is an A3-5 adjustable stock. I finally got to see my suppressor... looked phenomenal. My SOT was pretty impressed as well and you can imagine he sees a lot of them come through.

Yes, this gun will ultimately end up with the Tac 30 suppressor. I hope to fire it suppressed this weekend or next. </div></div>

I thought of using that stock for my 260 build. Mike R. had the A3-5 in his office along with a Tango. I decided to go with the Tango at the time. However, if you ever post a pic I might have wished I went with the A3-5.

Jamie

Okay... I am sorry to hijack the thread but, I've done numerous searches and cannot find that Snipers Hide Group Target.

Anyone?

OK, tough room. Here are some pics:

In the hard-shell case custom fit by the folks at Tac Ops
DSC07326.jpg

Atop a collage of 1/4 MOA 5-shot groups with bad groups strategically hidden (I don't want Lowlight thinking I have too much integrity)
DSC07329.jpg

One of the better detail shots I could take.
DSC07330.jpg

The obligatory thread job pic. Note the Class 3A threads. This is the best thread job in the biz. Period.
DSC07335.jpg

Another decent detail pic.
DSC07337.jpg

And of course a picture showing what someone with a little experience shooting Tac Ops rifles can do. Yes... that is 3 shots.
DSC07338.jpg

These photos really do not do this rifle justice. The detail orientation is absolutely phenomenal. Mike Rescigno is an anal nut when it comes to every aspect of the rifle. Of course, I like it for what it can do... bughole factory ammo at 100 yards. But I understand everybody wanting pics... nicest rifle I have seen in person. What the hell... nicest I have seen period.

I want to get it out to 300, 600, and 1,000 yards. I will report back when I get some more trigger time and do a more detailed writeup. This was kind of rushed, but I was excited to show my preliminary results. Truthfully, my original plan was to get 1,000 dry fires before going live, but I couldn't help myself. I am building a huge dry fire deficit right now... and loving every minute of it!

Thanks, guys. As far as the A3-5 Adjustable stock goes, the fore is nice and shallow with a semi-beavertail, sort of like the Tango, but the rear is adjustable with the butt hook. Adjustability is key for me. While my face is round, my cheekbones are pretty high, and with a 56mm scope, my firm cheekweld puts me too low on the scope with most stocks, even with a stock pack.

I was originally going to have him shave the set screw heads off and just have them be tool adjustable with allen wrenches but I am glad I didn't as I can't get a cleaning rod centered with the cheek-piece adjusted to my face. Since I can't set and forget like I wanted to, I have to raise and lower the cheek piece every time I clean. I am glad the knurled bolts are on there now.

I like the A3-5 a lot. It is a very ergonomic stock. I haven't shot it slung up yet, but just holding it off hand with a sling, it is very well balanced. Also, 22" is a nice length... especially compared to the 32" truck axle on my 22. I was originally going to go shorter (18" or 19"), but chickened out at the last minute. 22" still is not terribly long.

awesome stick he really does such a good job.

Nice rifle. I saw it in Mikes living room the night before he shipped it. I showed to my super liberal, anti gun retarded california brain washed brother in law, and even he was in awe over the details. Made me want to order another one, with that A3-5 stock.

Congrats!

Wow Carter, great rig....congratulations. I know it's been a long time coming but Mike's work is just incredible, and I'm glad you're lovin' every second of it. I have it's twin awaiting delivery very soon....I knew I shouldn't have looked, dammit. I wanted to run my Atlas on it as well so I'm wondering...did you go with the Anschutz rail option or does it have a std rail on it?

-Tyler

Tyler, I went with an Anschutz rail and am using an Accu-Shot AFAR Adapter.

Mike had to machine the bolts down to get it to fit in the rail because the !#!@#$$ things don't fit in a standard Anschutz rail. I have bought 3 AFAR kits and I have had to grind all of them down to get them to work, but once you get them on, they work like a champ. I am robbing one from another gun right now. The one Mike worked on is at Birdsong's right now getting finished.

I like the Anschutz rail for adjustability and have one on 3 of my guns now, but honestly, I just throw on the AFAR kit. All of my bipods have Pic rail quick attach/detach (DLOC and ARMS), so I own a couple of Harris's in different sizes and an Atlas. For pure target shooting, I like the Harris, for anything else, I like the Atlas and I don't have to own an Atlas for each of my guns.

Carter -

Beautiful rifle, he did a great job for you. Is there a reason you went with a bdl style mag system as opposed to a DBM set-up?

As I am in San Antonio quite a bit visiting family, we should get together and shoot sometime!

Best,
Josh

That is a very nice rifle! I am in talks with him about starting on a rifle for myself. Late Christmas present!
smile.gif
Enjoy your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carter -

Beautiful rifle, he did a great job for you. Is there a reason you went with a bdl style mag system as opposed to a DBM set-up?

As I am in San Antonio quite a bit visiting family, we should get together and shoot sometime!

Best,
Josh</div></div>

Thanks! We should definitely get together if you are passing through.

On the BDL vs. DBM, I am not doing tactical comps, so I don't need to take more than 5 consecutive shots at a time. Mike Rescigno feels he can squeeze more accuracy out of the system with a BDL as it gives the stock more stiffness... and he would know better than I.

This thread is killing me. I spoke with Mike last night about my build and he informed me that I am very close. As soon as I have it in hand I will start my own thread, but for now I will continue to drool over your rifle. Sorry.

I really like these rifles, and am strongly considering ordering one for my collection.

A question for you- how does the bolt throw feel? I am spoiled by AW and TRG bolt throws that feel like they are on roller bearings. I have felt a number of custom 700's that I wouldn't be able to fall in love with because of a gritty bolt throw.

How is it on this rifle?

Thanks for your time,

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, tough room. Here are some pics:

In the hard-shell case custom fit by the folks at Tac Ops
DSC07326.jpg

Atop a collage of 1/4 MOA 5-shot groups with bad groups strategically hidden (I don't want Lowlight thinking I have too much integrity)
DSC07329.jpg

One of the better detail shots I could take.
DSC07330.jpg

The obligatory thread job pic. Note the Class 3A threads. This is the best thread job in the biz. Period.
DSC07335.jpg

Another decent detail pic.
DSC07337.jpg

And of course a picture showing what someone with a little experience shooting Tac Ops rifles can do. Yes... that is 3 shots.
DSC07338.jpg

These photos really do not do this rifle justice. The detail orientation is absolutely phenomenal. Mike Rescigno is an anal nut when it comes to every aspect of the rifle. Of course, I like it for what it can do... bughole factory ammo at 100 yards. But I understand everybody wanting pics... nicest rifle I have seen in person. What the hell... nicest I have seen period.

I want to get it out to 300, 600, and 1,000 yards. I will report back when I get some more trigger time and do a more detailed writeup. This was kind of rushed, but I was excited to show my preliminary results. Truthfully, my original plan was to get 1,000 dry fires before going live, but I couldn't help myself. I am building a huge dry fire deficit right now... and loving every minute of it! </div></div>
Hey Carter -

Congratulations on getting your Kilo 51 and Tac .30 suppressor. I'm envious. I'd like to have a Tango as a lightweight complement to my X-Ray 51 but the A3-5 Adjustable is <span style="font-style: italic">really nice</span> (I did finger your Kilo 51 before Mike shipped it out to you - sorry). And of course while your photos are nice they cannot do a Tac Ops weapon justice. They truly must be handled and shot to understand what is so special about them.

Also, nice shooting in the wind. After you've gotten a little more time behind your Kilo 51 you could do well in FT/R with either FGMM <span style="font-style: italic">or</span> handloaded 175s'. No excuses = more pressure.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long was the wait for your rifle?</div></div>

It took a while... over a year. I would talk to Mike about current wait times if you are interested. (310) 275-8797.

He has been working on streamlining his ordering process with his vendors. Birdsong's turnaround has improved quite a bit and I think he was working closely with McMillan to get that wait time down. Give him a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like these rifles, and am strongly considering ordering one for my collection.

A question for you- how does the bolt throw feel? I am spoiled by AW and TRG bolt throws that feel like they are on roller bearings. I have felt a number of custom 700's that I wouldn't be able to fall in love with because of a gritty bolt throw.

How is it on this rifle?

Thanks for your time,

-Bob</div></div>

I am not really a connoisseur of bolt throws. I have shot AW's (maybe 10 rounds max) and Remmy's, but never paid a lot of attention to the feel of the bolt throw apart from the angle, which is kind of nice on the AW. I don't think I have enough time behind an AW to intelligently answer that question. I mainly just adapt to what I have... maybe someone else could speak to that better than I could.

What I do notice is the bullets seem to go where I point the Tac Ops, which has been my prime consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like these rifles, and am strongly considering ordering one for my collection.

How is it on this rifle?

Thanks for your time,

-Bob </div></div>

What?! One of my smoothest actions believe it or not is a GAP tuned Remington 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What?! One of my smoothest actions believe it or not is a GAP tuned Remington 700. </div></div>Good to know, and thank you. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a GAP 700, but I have shot some other custom 700's that have not-so-smooth bolt throws.

I believe they smooth out in time though.

The bolt throw on a Tac-Ops is smooth but that is the least of it. The 'crush' of the round as the bolt closes is a great feeling. It's the same feeling with a Tango as it is with an X-Ray and likewise I'd imagine with a Kilo. Personally what I like most is what Mike does with the triggers.

I know it's controversial to say the arrow helps make a better Indian but with a trigger like that it makes it easier to get more things right. It did for me anyway. I've seen one of Mikes personal hunting rifles that he built many years ago on a Mauser action. Unbelievable. Claw mounts, gorgeous checkering and a trigger you wouldn't believe.

Disclaimer: unabashed Tac-Ops fanboy and soon-to-be-owner of a Tango-51.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overall, I think custom dies are the way to go in a custom gun, but many many people "get by" without one. </div></div>

I take the opposite approach. I get a common match chamber on my first barrel and use it to find the sizing die, brass and bullet I like the best. Then I design my own chamber reamer around these and have the barrels that follow and a new bullet seating die sleeve cut with it.

I prefer not to size the last 1/16" of the neck because I've found it reduces the issues I experienced here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1069616

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I take the opposite approach. I get a common match chamber on my first barrel and use it to find the sizing die, brass and bullet I like the best. Then I design my own chamber reamer around these and have the barrels that follow and a new bullet seating die sleeve cut with it.
</div></div>

That works... design the chamber around the dies... but with a Tac Ops, one of the main reasons to go with Tac Ops is that they are designed around FGMM... so you are "stuck" with the reamer that Mike uses.

FWIW, I neck turn and cut a bit into the shoulder to avoid donuts. Isn't not sizing the last 1/16" just putting off the donut? In other words, it is still there, it is just not being pushed in until it gets to 1/16" from the shoulder?