• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just need barrel swap to shoot .260?

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
I was reading Zak Smith's article about how the .260 is just the best damn thing since slice bread. Am I right in assuming my 700 sps-v 308 just needs a barrel swap to shoot .260?

I probably won't do it..but it might be kinda fun

Re: Just need barrel swap to shoot .260?

yes, but if your gonna do it, might as well have the action trued, lugs lapped, threads trued, and barrel chambered. But the 260 isnt the best damn thing since sliced bread. Its a good round but there are others that are extremely close to the performance of the 260

Yes. The 260 is an excellent round, others that are as good or better would be a 7mm-08.

The BC's of the 7's are better than the BC's of the 6.5's.

Recoil in a heavy 7mm bullet is going to be higher than the 6.5's but both will be less than the equivalent BC 30 cal bullet.

The barrel life of the 7 is less than 30 cal and the 6.5 is less even less than the 7mm. It's not a torch like the 6.5-284 is though.

If you're a reloader either the 260 or the 7mm-08 would be good choices.

If you decide to go 7mm instead, look at the 284. If won't feed properly most likely though, it would require a little work to get it to feed because of the larger shoulder diameter.

It can shoot heavy 7mm's in the same ballpark as the 260 shoots heavy 6.5's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, but if your gonna do it, might as well have the action trued, lugs lapped, threads trued, and barrel chambered. But the 260 isnt the best damn thing since sliced bread. Its a good round but there are others that are extremely close to the performance of the 260 </div></div>
Also, if you pin your recoil lug, you can keep your 308 barrel and change barrels.

Yes, 260 started as 6.5/308. It is basically 308 necked down to take 6.5mm bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tweek5896</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ChadTRG42 Also said:
And an action wrench. The pins locate the recoil lug when you torque it up.

I have 5 barrels that I can swap between two Stolle actions - unscrew old barrel, clean threads well, apply anti-sieze and lube, screw on the new one. Each barrel will shoot to a different POI, but that is very repeatable.

With your boltface you could go 6BR through 30-06 or 284 class (single-shot on those that won't fit/feed). As noted above, 260 is 308 necked down and would be simple barrel swap....

Cheers,

Bill