• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just ordered a Cronus BTR from gr8fuldoug - need advice

Derek200

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2017
Ordered scope. Will go on an old r700 223 that is just a tapped receiver. Hope to be putting it on an Impact early next year.

What kind of rings would serve both installations well? I know little to nothing about pros and cons of different rings....

You’ll want rings that keep the front of the scope close to the barrel. I think the Cronus has more than enough travel in the scope for the .223 so a 20moa rail isn’t really needed, it wouldn’t hurt though if you already have one.
I personally like the Steiner Meds with the built in level. Makes scope install much easier if you attach a scope level on the tube of your scope.

Last edited:
How do I know how high the rings need to be? If it’s a 56mm objective do I jest need the center of rings to be a little more than 28mm high?

I run a Cronos BTR on my Tikka CTR w/ stock pic rail and I use 34mm low rings Nighforce ultralites. Clearance is about 0.25".
The low or medium NF ultralites would both work well

My Cronus BTR is in a Spuhr 4006 on a 30moa NF rail. This is a 300wm, though. It's 1.35".
46151090531_68a2d18fb8_b.jpg

Ordered scope. Will go on an old r700 223 that is just a tapped receiver. Hope to be putting it on an Impact early next year.

What kind of rings would serve both installations well? I know little to nothing about pros and cons of different rings....

If your old Remington 223 has a rail then you just need some picatinny rings. If it doesn’t then get one and then some picatinny rings to go on it if you must share the scope. A canted rail is always a good idea, no reason to ever go with a non 20moa rail unless you have an old scope with extremely little travel or a bent barrel.

Most rings you can get by with mediums height, they vary by manufacturer but they are generally pretty close. I went with high on mine just to be safe and I’m glad I did because my chassis has a straight inline stock back, there is no droop to the butt so my check piece is bottomed out is just right.

Yeah. That’s what I was wondering. It doesn’t have a rail. The rings on there now mount directly to a leupold one piece base that is mounted to the action.

I’m thinking I need to get a pic rail to replace that and then rings to go on the pic rail.

What’s the advantage to separate rings versus rings that are connected via a base?

Which is adjustable? Seems like they both would be adjustable?

I second the 1.1 rings. I have vortex ring on my rig.

Attachments

• 86537B66-901A-44A9-A262-135FD97BA9F6.jpeg
    86537B66-901A-44A9-A262-135FD97BA9F6.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 53
So am looking at a set of nightforce ultralight 4 hole rings. Says the mediums are .334 to base of tube. Highs are .455.

Is my math right. .334 + half the tube diameter is right at one inch high for center of scope. Where the high comes in at 1.12 inches? Is that the right way to calculate?

Thanks for all the help. Got it all ordered. Hopefully it all works!!

I went with Seekins low rings for the Cronus BTR on my V-22, which has a 30 MOA rail, and have about 3/16" between the objective & top of the Kukri contour bbl. So, if you go with a 20 MOA rail on your Remington, you should have even more clearance with low rings than I do with my 30 MOA rail.

Yeah. Didn’t know how to account for the rail height. Didn’t see that spec when I ordered. So. Will see how it works out!

Seekins lows on a 20 minute rail. sits perfect with just enough room to fit a defender flip cap on the sun shade