• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Just ordered a Turret From Kenton Ind. ???

Highmark

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Kentucky
I just ordered a Drop Comp Turret from Kenton Ind.

One of the options on the website order form was pertaining to the scope base MOA

I have the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 with a 20 MOA Nightforce base.

I use two ballistic programs Sierra Infinity and EXBAL but have never seen any refference to this in their program
Does it have any bearing in this situation?

Re: Just ordered a Turret From Kenton Ind. ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fireshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered a Drop Comp Turret from Kenton Ind.

One of the options on the website order form was pertaining to the scope base MOA

I have the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 with a 20 MOA Nightforce base.

I use two ballistic programs Sierra Infinity and EXBAL but have never seen any refference to this in their program
Does it have any bearing in this situation? </div></div>

Honestly, it sounds like you need to go back to square one and learn what a MIL is and what a MOA is.

What the Victor?
grin.gif

I going to assume you know nothing about Kenton Dials. Kenton dials come in multi tiers, 2 or 3 depending on scope and cartridge.

So if you have 5 Mils per tier (turn) and no 20 MOA base, then they might make you a two tier dial (depending on your scope). Add a 20 MOA base, and then might make you a 3 tier dial, because a 20 MOA base will give you 5.5 MILS more up.

Now your Nightforce has 14 MILS of up without a 20 MOA base. But Kenton uses generic forms. You might be ordering a dial for a scope like the Bushnell 6-24x50mm. That scope less than 7 MILS of up on a 0 MOA base, but 12+ MILS on a 20 MOA.

The 20 MOA base means nothing to a ballistic program, but may mean a bunch for a Ballisticly Calibrated turret....YMMV

yeh pretty much what everyone has said.

It all comes down to the fact that the turrets physicaly need the room to be able to accomodate a givens scope elevation adjustments in any given direction, but in these cases we are talking about raising the elevation.

The ballistics programs dont need this sort of information as it has no use in any equation. The ballistics software is mainly concerned with your scopes zero distance (i.e. 100 yards), and units of elevation and wind (i.e Mils or MOA). The rest of the information is all information regarding your projectiles (BC, weight, velocity etc etc) so that your program can accurately create a chart.

So as you can see they are two totally unrelated things.

Thanks BobinNC
My question was why also. I am familiar with MOA The Nightforce I have is in MOA adjustments.On Kentons order form on their website one of the fields to fill in requests this info , I just couldn't figure why they needed this . I am sure they derive the end product from ballistic programs. I gave them all the info needed per the load I shoot.

I don't think they would have any problem with needing too many tiers. I shoot a 7MM Rem. Ultra Mag. which requires 19.5 MOA at 1K , two revolutions of the turret with My load.
Have always used Leupold VX3 6.5x20x50 LRT with etched turrets on my setup. and just purchased the Nightforce with the one piece base and rings because they strongly discourage the use of the Leupold style rings and bases
The only Nightforce one piece setup from what I could find was the 20MOA set and have never used this type setup before.
Thanks again.

I have a Kenton knobs for my NF scopes, but it's not an elevation knob.

I have custom windage knobs for my NF (MRad) scopes, they are marked with .5L and .5R, 1.0L and 1.0R. The L and R markings help when I need to dial wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Kenton knobs for my NF scopes, but it's not an elevation knob.

I have custom windage knobs for my NF (MRad) scopes, they are marked with .5L and .5R, 1.0L and 1.0R. The L and R markings help when I need to dial wind.</div></div>

Is that a standard product or something you had made up special? If the turret isn't the same form factor as a normal NXS, would you mind taking a pic? This isn't something I'd seen on their website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a standard product or something you had made up special?</div></div>I just told them what I wanted, and they made it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the turret isn't the same form factor as a normal NXS, would you mind taking a pic? This isn't something I'd seen on their website.</div></div> It looks like the NF knob, but with more letters
smile.gif

The white etching the use to make the numbers is a slightly different shade of white, but that's it.

100_0493.jpg

Thats pretty decent I might have to look into these myself... set you back much $ ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats pretty decent I might have to look into these myself... set you back much $ ?</div></div>

It's been a few years, but I think it was $79. At first I scoffed at the price, but it seemed reasonable after I dialed my wind incorrectly in an F class match, more than a time or two, costing me a number of points.

Looking back, I wish I would have saved the money and just held for wind. That's typically what I do now, except for matches where I'm holding the same amount of wind for a number of shots - I'll dial then.

Whenever I mess with my windage knob, I screw something up. Now, I don't dial it in the wrong direction, but occasionally forget to zero it back at the end of the day.