• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Picked up a Barrett MRAD....have some ?s

cobravenom39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys,

Kind of new to the forums here. I've never had a precision, bolt-action rifle, but I have an AR10 and a SCAR 17s, and I've gotten tired of shooting at 100 yards or less offhand. Started benching my AR10 with a 2.5-10 Vortex EBR, but getting kind of bored.

I wanted a new toy that I could switch calibers with, so I decided to cry once and opt for the MRAD. After talking with some folks and doing some reading, I noticed that you could keep the same glass on the top and the zero and you don't need to re-zero for the caliber change.

Please don't flame me for buying such a large caliber. I reload and I want to start shooting at my range out to 600. I've been buying long enough that I know I'll regret not buying one of the better rifles, even if it's just for the name.

Anyways. Any tips on glass for both the Lapua and the .308 at ranges from 300 to 600 yards. I'd like to stay at under $1500 with rings. Also, what rings do you guys suggest.

Any tips/pointers would also be appreciated

Andy

Re: Just Picked up a Barrett MRAD....have some ?s

Welcome to the Hide. I joined several months ago and have learned a ton. I've had an MRAD 7 months, but you'll find you get bored shooting it at 600 yds quickly and soon will want to stretch it out to 1000 yds and beyond. Many good scopes in your price range for that. Good buys at small discount here on the Hide in the Optics for Sale section. Depends on what you're looking for in a scope. Good you reload, since otherwise the price of ammo would eat you alive. I would suggest at least 24X top end magnification. A March FX 5-40X 56mm sits on top of mine due to my old eyes, but $3200 and overkill for most. A March F 3-24X 42mm sits on my custom Rem 700 and would work just fine for you-$2260 from Kelby Rifles. Both are FFP, mil/mil, rugged, with great glass, and novel zero stop.

You should research it as well as others, since 24X scopes of good quality can be found for much less. Will also need good quality scope rings, but no canted mount needed, since the MRAD rail has 30 MOA cant built in. Brouse the Optics section above this thread for many other good suggestions. Good luck and have fun!!! I guarantee you won't be bored again. Much to learn and here on the Hide there is a great amount of valuable information provided for free. Also talk to people at your local ranges, since most are willing to help out a Newb. Sometimes difficult to find 1000+ yds areas to shoot and some ranges don't like 338 and 50 cal weapons with their muzzle brakes.

Re: Just Picked up a Barrett MRAD....have some ?s

As you see not too many Barrett MRAD owners here. DTA and AI big winners with barrel conversions. Plan on picking up a new DTA A1 in the near future. Go to the Barrett Forum, but not much action there! New barrel conversions should be available soon (whatever that means) and will probably be more expensive than the DTA conversions. Still much valuable information on LR shooting here on the Hide. Good Luck

SWFA SS 5-20x50 ftp, ill ~$1200
Bushnell hdmr 3-21x50 ffp non ill ~$1200
Take your time choosing the right reticle for you.
Welcome and have some fun with the new toy!

Those Barrett conversions are only different lengths in 338 caliber. The 308 and 300 WM barrels are still MIA at Barrett, at least for civilians!!!

Congrats on the mrad. I shot one once and was surprised how much I liked it. Bolt lift was a little heavy for me but better than a trg, in my opinion. As for glass in your price range, try the Bushnell HDMR, Leupolds can be found here used under that price point. Good luck & have fun.

I don't think they will ever introduce caliber conversions. I'd like to be wrong, but I just don't think they have sold enough MRADs, and therefore have even less demand for conversions of a specific caliber.

I love my 98B though !!

Those Barrett conversions are only different lengths in 338 caliber. The 308 and 300 WM barrels are still MIA at Barrett, at least for civilians!!!

Another new MRAD owner here. Showed up yesterday (May 1), ordered early January. The "jewelry" being added is a NF ATACR, Larue 111 mount (no cant), Atlas Bipod, and Dueck Defense Rapid Transition sights.

Enough of a dent in the wallet for now. It is going to rain all weekend so probably no shots for a while.

Bob

Another MRAD owner here...

"Barrett" is saying over at their forums that they are due to "ramp up" in the first quarter of this year...

Hey, wait, aren't we in the second quarter??? ;)

I sure do want a 308 to "plink" with....

I don't think they will ever introduce caliber conversions. I'd like to be wrong, but I just don't think they have sold enough MRADs, and therefore have even less demand for conversions of a specific caliber.

I love my 98B though !!

It would help them to sell enough if they had the conversions.

Another MRAD owner here...

"Barrett" is saying over at their forums that they are due to "ramp up" in the first quarter of this year...

Hey, wait, aren't we in the second quarter??? ;)

I sure do want a 308 to "plink" with....
I could go for a .243, I think that would be the cats ass on the mrad.

Waiting patiently for the 300WM and 308 barrels but it is more difficult with all the pessimists out there.

Attachments

• DSC_0845.jpg
    DSC_0845.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 25
For glass, Premier scope makes the most sense for a multi-caliber rifle, as all you need to rezero is a spent casing. For mil reticle with holdovers that isn't Christmas tree busy, the Gen 2XR is very functional.

At $450 I was a little skeptical. Once it arrived I immediately noticed why it cost so much. Worth every penny!

I don't believe he's talking about the .308 or .300 WM - rather just the different barrel lengths for the .338 LM, I think. I've not found anything showing Barrett has come out with either the .308 or the .300 WM barrels yet. We'l see. :O

I don't believe he's talking about the .308 or .300 WM - rather just the different barrel lengths for the .338 LM, I think. I've not found anything showing Barrett has come out with either the .308 or the .300 WM barrels yet. We'l see. :O

It shows he's in Afghanistan. If, by chance, he is talking conversions and the military got them a month ago it means we should be hearing something soon. The other thing is that he mentions price $1100(which does sound a little cheap for a conversion kit). Never heard of being able to purchase 338 barrels separately, at least not yet, have you? At this point any news is good news. Thanks 1KM

Are you talking about both 308 and 300WM? Where did you hear this? Are you talking about military use while serving?

I actually called Barrett about the 27" barrel, and they told me that "ohh they've been on the site" (I checked it yesterday and nothing new was there) And out of nowhere they appeared. Then disappeared 24 hours later. And no just for .338.

It shows he's in Afghanistan. If, by chance, he is talking conversions and the military got them a month ago it means we should be hearing something soon. The other thing is that he mentions price $1100(which does sound a little cheap for a conversion kit). Never heard of being able to purchase 338 barrels separately, at least not yet, have you? At this point any news is good news. Thanks 1KM

And no, the military does not use the MRAD.. sorry guys it didnt make it through the SOCOM trials, it got beaten by Remington's XM rifle

And no, the military does not use the MRAD.. sorry guys it didnt make it through the SOCOM trials, it got beaten by Remington's XM rifle

Good Morning HOG338 How's the weather this morning over there? Thanks for clearing it up and no need to apologize for SOCOM choosing the XM I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision. Curious...was the Remy MSR part of that group also? I just hope this isn't the reason the Barrett conversions haven't been offered yet because if it is and they're waiting for a certain amount of MRADS to sell before committing to conversions then we're in for a wait. Well at least my son might be able to reap the rewards. Thanks for your time and service. Stay safe and godspeed.

Yeah, I don't think the lack of conversions has anything to do with the inaccurate perception that they are fielding MRADs to troops - I think it's just a priority issue for Barrett. The M82/107 is a cash cow for them, not only US govt but allied govts as well. If anything, the fact that the PSR solicitation is over may actually steer them back towards the civilian market, but only time will tell. And what's worse is that without any different bolt heads or magazines available, it's not like a 3rd party smith could spin up a conversion for you while you wait.