• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Just picked up a Trojan/Range Report (long term?)

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
Can't wait to go shoot it!

trojan.jpg

Update 5/25/2011:
Finally got around to using my "protection", and put 150 rounds down the tube before I had to head home. Accuracy was very good, and I could hold a very tight group at 10 yards when I was focusing and carrying through with the fundamentals. The VZ grips are VERY grippy, and it will take a few trips for my hands to get used to them. Overall gun function was very tight, and it ate everything I fed it without a hiccup (There was one when a friend loaded a magazine improperly - operator error). Trigger was crisp and broke consistently. The undercut trigger guard is also a huge plus.

I also just received 4 power mags from Chip McCormick, that seem to run great, as well as a magwell/MSH from Ed Brown (tight fit!) that I plan to put through their paces this weekend. Initial impressions are good.

Gripes: Front sight is matte black. While this is a non-issue during the day, it can be a pain in the ass to see in a shadowy indoor range, especially on a silhouette. I will be replacing it with something that has a bit more contrast.

Grip safety is a bit finicky with a high grip. It has been getting easier to disengage every time with practice, but I may still "sensitize" it.

The guide rod is kind of a PITA to remove, god forbid I don't have a paperclip handy in the field.

Overall/TL:DR :
Impressed with the overall construction and performance of the gun. Shoots very well, and seems to work so far. Only very minor issues that can all be addressed with training or simple upgrades. The more I train and practice with this pistol, the more I like it. I'll try to update this often as I run it through the gears.

NOTE: I'm a complete noob at essentially everything pistol related. This is my first pistol, so feel free to correct me or name-call.

Re: Just picked up a Trojan...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to see you are using protection... BWHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, couldn't resist!</div></div>

My mind was somewhere else as well....

Tell me about the STI's. Do they gather parts and build the guns? Tighter tolerances, etc? I need a rail for laser as my eyes can't make the front sight sharp for precision shooting.

Very nice! I've got a 9mm Trojan on my list of wants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to see you are using protection... BWHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, couldn't resist!</div></div>

My mind was somewhere else as well.... </div></div>

No, no, no, that's not the STD, that's the STI ...

very nice!

I've got over 15,000 through mine with no problems!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me about the STI's. Do they gather parts and build the guns? Tighter tolerances, etc? I need a rail for laser as my eyes can't make the front sight sharp for precision shooting. </div></div>

Yes they do job certain parts to build their pistols nothing wrong with that it's what most custom pistol makers do although STI it more of quantity gun maker than a true custom maker. The ones I own are tighter than the majority in their price point competition and I have never had an STI that did not shoot and function well. I have owned more than a few. I recently fitted my old Trojan 38 super with a 9mm barrel and it's a tack driver as it was in 38 super. It's still tight as a drum and reliable.

Check their website for railed options.

I may make this a running thread regarding the performance of the Trojan/noob experiences with a 1911.

The Trojan is a very nice 1911 and STI has a long reputation for quality. I go way back with their stuff. Back when STI stood for Strayer-Tripp Inc. and have nothing but good to say about them.