• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just picked up my first 40x** PICS UP**

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
After a while of searching I finally found a 40x. My intent is to eventually put it in either a manners or mcmillan stock but for now im just going to shoot it with the origiinal wood stock. Now for my questions. I have been looking for a picatinny rail of some sort that would go into the channel on the bottom of the stock, that way i could attach my atlas. I cant seem to find them anywhere. Perhaps because I dont know what its called? Also, I am looking for a scope base to carry me out to 200+ yards. would a 20moa base be enough or should I get the 30moa to be safe. Anyone have recommendations on which brand of base? I know some guys like Ken Ferrells. Anyways Im new to the rimfire scene and this is my first trainer so all constructive criticism and suggestions are much appreciated.

Re: Just picked up my first 40x

Congrats on your 40-X purchase. I am sure you will love it. What kind of scope are you planning on putting on the 40-X? 30-MOA base is actually excessive unless you want a 200 yard zero and shoot to say 4-500 yards. I actually run anywhere from 0-MOA base to 25-MOA base (depending on the competition rifle). They are all fine just make sure you have a scope that has enough adjustment to zero at 56 to 212 yards if you plan on shooting at Chilli during their rimfire "buffalo" match. If you need help with anything, just need information, or just want to go out and shoot let me know I will be happy to help or meet up at the range in Chilli.

Gene

You shouldn't need a 30 moa base to shoot 200 yards unless your scope has very little elevation travel.

As long as you have the T-nuts that fit in the 40-X rail you can attach just about any piece of picatinny rail to it. If your rifle is a 40-XB with the long rail it's easy, if you have the 40-X with the short rail and captive T-nut you may have to drill another hole in what ever rail you use to match the shorter rail length.

Im going to use my 10x SS until I can afford something better. It didnt come with any of the tnuts either. I believe mine is the xb model. It is 1968 manufacture with a serial is 36xxxB. No military markings and the stock has a nice gloss finish not the deep red flat finish the military ones have. Do the 40x actions have standard screw hole size or did they come with 8-40 threads.

They have standard screw hole size for the bases unless someone enlarged it to the 8-40. Do you have a picture of your rifle? The non military ones may not come with the same style stock that the military ones had.

Gene

Thanks for your help guys. Ill post pics when I get a chance. Illinois gun laws + auction house rules says I cant pick the rifle up until Saturday morning. Too excited about this thing. Cant wait to shoot it

I'm pretty sure the receivers scope mount screws are 6-48 unless re-tapped oversize. Any Rem 700 style mount should work- might need a shim on the rear. If yours has a 700 style bolt(bent to the rear + a checkered knob) then its most likely a 40XB. If I wanted more scope adjustment range I'd go with Burris Signature rings with the +20/-20 inserts.

I was able to pick it up early. Its in even better shape than I thought. Crappy cell phone pics but you still can see the condition
40x4_zpscb81a8c3.jpg

40x3_zpsf4fb94c1.jpg

40x2_zps7165b74e.jpg

40x1_zps2a858345.jpg

Re: Just picked up my first 40x** PICS UP**

Nice Stock. Nice mettal for that matter. I'd do as little as I could to shoot it first. Burris signature rings with offset inserts will fix your elevation situation and prevent rings from scrathing scope finish

That's a beautiful rifle -- congratulations!

I used a Murphy Precision 20 MOA base (he's a vendor here).

Charlie at Score High in Albuquerque bedded my rifle into an H-S 700V stock.

3345dl4.jpg

ml2sd5.jpg

fyk47c.jpg

Sure was -- one of the last $400 (standard-weight barrel) Christmas specials a few years back.