• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just picked up Rem 721 300 H&H Mag

DirtyDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
Just recently picked this up. Rem 721 300 H&H mag. Date stamp says June 1951. Its in pretty good condition. Has a Revelation 4x scope on it.
Anyone know much about these?

EDIT; Figured out the barrel has been cut to 16". I would like to have a new barrel put on it, but I am thinking about going to a different caliber. Dont really have much use for a Magnum. Thinking about going to 6mm Remington. What other changes/mods would need to be made to make this work? Bolt? Magazine?

000_0085.jpg

000_0086.jpg

Re: Just picked up Rem 721 300 H&H Mag

Just an older, better built Remington 700. 721 is the long action. 722 is the short action. .300 H&H is less powerful than the .300 Win Mag. Shorter and more taper in the case body, therefore not to be loaded at as high of pressure.

Some one chopped off the barrel. .300 H&H is a fine cartridge for hunting big game. It is close enough to .300 WM that any well hit game will not know the difference. The latest Nosler reloading manual has a good selection of loads. Taking mine Caribou hunting in Quebec next month.

Winchester, Nosler, Remington and Norma all manufacture brass.

Good luck

Jerry

Even with that chopped barrel and loading to a little bit lower pressures, if you reload, the .300 H&H is still going to be stronger than the 30-06. Not many critters who were properly hit had much time to even say "ouch!" before they died.

Jerry M,

Good luck on that caribou hunt. The people of Alaska will thank you for it as well.

Thank you, i'll post some pictures in a new thread.

The .300 H&H case while more tapered then the .300 Win mag is actually longer at 2.850 compared to 2.620 for the Win mag. Most accurate powder listed in Nosler's Reloading Guide #6 is IMR4831.

Good luck

Jerry

Nice rifle and caliber!
That barrel has been shortened.

Surprisingly the 300 H&H and the 300 WSM are almost identical in case capacity and exterior ballistics. Charlie Sisk performed a test using a barrel intially chambered in a 300 WSM, then same barrel rechambered to 300 H&H. The results found nearly identical exterior ballistics using same powder charge & bullet combinations.
So you can utilize the newer load data developed the the 300 WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mclevela</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle and caliber!
That barrel has been shortened.

Surprisingly the 300 H&H and the 300 WSM are almost identical in case capacity and exterior ballistics. Charlie Sisk performed a test using a barrel intially chambered in a 300 WSM, then same barrel rechambered to 300 H&H. The results found nearly identical exterior ballistics using same powder charge & bullet combinations.
So you can utilize the newer load data developed the the 300 WSM. </div></div>

Yeah I was actually comparing the data of the H&H and WSM. My boss has a 300WSM and uses the Berger 210 VLD's. I was going to start loading with those and some 208 A-max's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one chopped off the barrel. </div></div>

Just measured the Barrel, its 16"

That is a nice rifle and brings back some good memories.

My dad has the twin sister to your rifle. Same caliber and vintage but with original barrel length. It is scarred up and ugly from decades of traveling and hunting, but shoots very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some one chopped off the barrel. </div></div>

Just measured the Barrel, its 16" </div></div>

Wow!! 16", that maybe a flame thrower. It will be very interesting to see what kind of velocities you get with the 16" tube.

Yeah, I'm thinking the barrel is kinda short for a magnum. I dont have a chrono to see what velocity it shoots though

I edited my original post with a new idea
Since I figured out the barrel has been cut to 16". I would like to have a new barrel put on it, but I am thinking about going to a different caliber. Dont really have much use for a Magnum. Thinking about going to 6mm Remington. What other changes/mods would need to be made to make this work? Bolt? Magazine?

I would go with a caliber you can get ready-made Lapua brass for (without case forming). Maybe just plain old 243 win, or howabout a 6.5mm flavor like the 260 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweeeeedish, or 6.5x47 lapua?

I have same model in 270 win originally. Had pac nor rebarrel it in 6.5-06 Ackley. Now it shoots like a dream. Put new CDL takeoff stock on it,Jewell trigger.With 130 vlds its a deer slayer deluxe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a caliber you can get ready-made Lapua brass for (without case forming). Maybe just plain old 243 win, or howabout a 6.5mm flavor like the 260 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweeeeedish, or 6.5x47 lapua?</div></div>

Remington and Winchester brass is available for the 6mm Rem.
The .243win is close to the 6mmRem, but a little slower. The 721 is a long-action, So I dont really want to chamber it for a short-action cartridge.
Maybe a 6mm-06, or a 25-06, or .257 Roberts?
My main goal here is something to bridge the gap between my 30-06 and .223 (mainly for Deer). I like to be able to spot my shots through the scope and this doesnt happen with the 30-06. I shot 2 deer on the run with my uncles 6mm and really liked the light recoil and being able to watch the deer tumble through the scope.

If you keep a sharp eye out you might be able to find a 721 bolt with a .473 bolt face and your gtg.
Or you could go with a new PT&G bolt with a Sako extractor.

It's a shame someone cut that barrel.
The old Holland's Super Thirty load with the 220 grain round nose bullet at 2300-2400 fps is a wonderful low pressure round that will absolutely flatten anything on this continent.

It's like the 7X57 and 6.5 Mannlicher with their long for caliber round nose bullets at the above velocity. They shoot point blank on deer to 200 yards and just flat get the job done with minimal recoil. If the deer is over 200 yards, I guess I'll just get off my arse and get a little closer...

Rebarrel it if you want i can get the length off my dads so you know what factory length is. they kick like a mule with that stock stock but they are great guns.

Why the devil would someone cut a magnum barrel down to 16"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the devil would someone cut a magnum barrel down to 16"?</div></div>

To make a flame thrower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tatertot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel it if you want i can get the length off my dads so you know what factory length is. they kick like a mule with that stock stock but they are great guns.</div></div>

Factory length is suppossed to be 26"

Must have been in a bad mood to cut down that fine rifle. Either way, magnums do not have to always be magnums. I shoot a lot of the big boys and find a bit less powder and some experimentation, will give me some awsome combinations.
The 300 H7H is a fine one, but there are others and watch the bolt face. If you find another caliber that is the same, you will only be out for a barrel.
My thoughts? Take that fine old girl out for another dance or two, before sending her in for a facelift. You might be surpised.
BB

There are quite a few options if I keep the original bolt (.532" dia face) that were born from the Original H&H case.
.244-H&H, .264-WM, 300-WM, 257 Wby mag, 300 Wby mag, etc. But I still really dont have much need for a Magnum.
I will search for a Bolt with a .473 bolt face and see what I come up with

I got a standard bolt with the .473" face for it now. Just need to have it rebarreled

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bestboss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My thoughts? Take that fine old girl out for another dance or two, before sending her in for a facelift. You might be surpised.
BB </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedinaM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice gun should keep the same </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldolds442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot it.....might like it </div></div>

I have put a box of ammo through it. It does not group very well, might be the crown job from whoever hacked the barrel down. Either way, I have no use for a magnum, but I really do like the look and feel of the rifle. I am sending it out for a new barrel in 6mm.

since it is a long action what about a 270 and mess with the new jlk 175's they look awesome. Buddy is building a 270 wsm to shoot the 175's and all the data looks promising

Love the .300 H&H. Great ctg and the brass will last you a long time.
I would leave it the way it is or have it barreled back to 300 H&H.
Thats just me though.

That is a great rifle. I picked up its little brother,the 722, in .244 Remington about 2 years ago. I was going to do a build off of it but after looking into it, I decided not to disgrace it. It shot great but I wanted to shoot heavier bullets and the .244 wouldn't do it accurately. I kick myself for getting rid of it. I should have hung onto it and let my daughter use is as a deer rifle.
I love the 721 and 722 Remington's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robescc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a great rifle. I picked up its little brother,the 722, in .244 Remington about 2 years ago. I was going to do a build off of it but after looking into it, I decided not to disgrace it. It shot great but I wanted to shoot heavier bullets and the .244 wouldn't do it accurately. I kick myself for getting rid of it. I should have hung onto it and let my daughter use is as a deer rifle.
I love the 721 and 722 Remington's.</div></div>

If I may ask, what year is your 722 in .244? Wanted to know if it was a 1-12" or 1-9" twist.

Hi I See This Has Been Here A While But Have You Considered A 30-06 Barrel And Have It Rechambered In 300 H&H It's 24" And Better Than What You Have Now Just A Thought

Send it to me for proper disposal. I love the .300 H&H

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi I See This Has Been Here A While But Have You Considered A 30-06 Barrel And Have It Rechambered In 300 H&H It's 24" And Better Than What You Have Now Just A Thought</div></div>

Like I said before, I have no use for a magnum of any kind. Got the rifle in the current condition and I have already sent it off to get re-barreled.

ps: Is it a pain in the butt to capitolize the first letter in every word you type?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....
Like I said before, I have no use for a magnum of any kind. Got the rifle in the current condition and I have already sent it off to get re-barreled.
....</div></div>

What did you end up selecting for the new caliber and how did you address the differences in bolt face for a non mag caliber?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTinIN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What did you end up selecting for the new caliber and how did you address the differences in bolt face for a non mag caliber?

Thanks</div></div>

I decided on 6mm Remington. I picked up a bolt from a non-mag 721 with a .473 bolt face.

Got a call from the gunsmith. New barrel is on and it has been sent out for cerakote.

DirtyDave,

We look forward to the pics when you get the rifle back. I just picked up a 6mm AI and am currently waiting on dies. Looking forward to seeing it shoot. It has a tight twist and is throated for the Sierra 107's. I got a box of those when I get the dies. Already ran one box of Federal through it for fireforming the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DirtyDave,

We look forward to the pics when you get the rifle back. I just picked up a 6mm AI and am currently waiting on dies. Looking forward to seeing it shoot. It has a tight twist and is throated for the Sierra 107's. I got a box of those when I get the dies. Already ran one box of Federal through it for fireforming the brass.</div></div>

I'm looking forward to seeing the rifle too. The original pics (in stock form) got deleted. I'm keeping the original stock, but not sure what I'll have to do to raise the cheek piece (if any) when I get the new scope on there.

Got it back on thursday! I'll get the scope mounted up and the new recoil pad installed on it this week. I still want to re-finish the stock but that might have to wait cuz I just want to shoot it! Stand by for pics.

Looking forward to your next post. I got a 721 several years ago, had it rebarreled to .280 AI, and it has been a real shooter. I bet yours will be one, too.

Here it is with the scope mounted. 6mm Rem, 22" barrel, 1:8", Black Cerakote barrel, action, and bottom metal. I put a recoil pad on it that actually fit it haha. I like the old school look of the leather cheek pad and I dont have to do any permanent mods to the stock. Dont know if I am going to keep the USO on there, its pretty heavy for a hunting rifle, but I had it laying around. Might go to something a bit more sleek and lighter weight that looks a little more period correct.

GAP6MM-3.jpg

GAP6MM-2.jpg

GAP6MM-1.jpg

WOW. A 721 now that brings back some memories. I grew up shooting a 721 in 270. Good old rifles. Enjoy it.