• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just received my Vudoo Fluted barrel concerns

Michael W

I love this place
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2020
    Hey guys.
    About a week back I receive my Vudoo-V-22.Apparition. I purchased it with a couple of options a Trigger Tech diamond single stage and a fluted barrel.
    I was pretty satisfied when I got the gun. Took it out to the range It shot perfectly .
    But while I was at the range in bright sunlight I noticed that the machined troughs in the Fluting were a bit rough And almost appear to be unfinished .
    This is the 1st rifle I've ever owned with fluting So not sure if it's a common issue. I have not contacted Vudoo gun works about this yet, I am very wary about sending it off for repairs because it took me almost 6 months to receive the rifle in the 1st place and I am not really wanting to wait another 3-4 months for the repair. If this was like a inexpensive Ruger 10/22 I wouldn't be that concerned or that picky but this was Quite a bit of money for me and I expected a little more I guess.
    20210117_093840.jpg
    20210117_093755.jpg

Last edited:
    That's the thing I don't know if it's really a problem or if it's a common machining flaw that you get with a fluted barrel. I'm relying on your guy's knowledge base .

It is just a cosmetic flaw but I wouldn’t be happy with that for a premium .22.

my Vudoo doesn’t have flutes and the barrel is cerakoted so I wonder if it was coated if you would be able to see any of the flaws.

Reactions: One Mile Up
    Hey guys.
    About a week back I receive my Vudoo-V-22.Apparition. I purchased it with a couple of options a Trigger Tech diamond single stage and a fluted barrel.
    I was pretty satisfied when I got the gun. Took it out to the range It shot perfectly .
    But while I was at the range in bright sunlight I noticed that the machined troughs in the Fluting were a bit rough And almost appear to be unfinished .
    This is the 1st rifle I've ever owned with fluting So not sure if it's a common issue. I have not contacted Vudoo gun works about this yet, I am very wary about sending it off for repairs because it took me almost 6 months to receive the rifle in the 1st place and I am not really wanting to wait another 3-4 months for the repair. If this was like a inexpensive Ruger 10/22 I wouldn't be that concerned or that picky but this was Quite a bit of money for me and I expected a little more I guess.View attachment 7530206View attachment 7530209

On par with my fluted IBI barrel. You can see the same clouded areas. Also, for fun the last photo shows how much case is sticking out on my IBI with 52D chamber.

IMG_20200102_141659.jpg
    IMG_20200102_141710.jpg
    IMG_20200102_141528.jpg

Talk to Lisa today at vudoo Gun Works she said they would be happy to take a look at it and make it right for me good customer service. So far. I waited six months to get this done I'm hoping the repairs don't take that long.

A lot of manufacturers have a problem with fluting leaving machining marks. When I need something fluted, I always go to Paul at pro precision rifles because I haven’t seen anyone put a better finish in fluting.

I’d get it coated and just hide them lol
    Coating would not solve the problem as it would not be thick enough to hide the tooling marks. I'm not a fan of bling...I would just scotch-brite the tool marks and bead blast it....but as they say "to each their own".

I believe Vudoo will make it right.

I've seen worse from better.

I'm also not a fan of bright SS finishes so I'm reminded of an old saying; 4 bucks worth of Krylon can fix a lot.

Reactions: ma smith
    I would shoot it first, then send it back. I like the flutes bead blasted, then the barrel polished. I had one the flutes painted black, then the barrel polished. good luck.
    Mark

Sorry Guys, getting back in the mix after a bit of travel.

@Michael W When one gets a stainless barrel without flutes, the barrel is polished and you won't see what you're seeing. On a fluted barrel that either doesn't get the polish treatment or bead blasted, you'll see tool "rubs" and occasional burrs from the cutter used to flute the barrel. Although not aesthetically pleasing, there's nothing wrong with the overall quality of how the barrel will perform.

I get it....after a long wait, it's hard to send it back, so if you'd rather not, I can talk you through a few very simple things that will clean it up. If this is a good route for you, reach out via PM and we'll deal with it. If you'd like to send it back, a simple bead blast will make short work of what you're seeing if you want to stay with the stainless finish (but it won't be shiny) and following bead blast, we can Cerakote it if you'd like.

Hope this helps....

MB

Sorry Guys, getting back in the mix after a bit of travel.

@Michael W When one gets a stainless barrel without flutes, the barrel is polished and you won't see what you're seeing. On a fluted barrel that either doesn't get the polish treatment or bead blasted, you'll see tool "rubs" and occasional burrs from the cutter used to flute the barrel. Although not aesthetically pleasing, there's nothing wrong with the overall quality of how the barrel will perform.

I get it....after a long wait, it's hard to send it back, so if you'd rather not, I can talk you through a few very simple things that will clean it up. If this is a good route for you, reach out via PM and we'll deal with it. If you'd like to send it back, a simple bead blast will make short work of what you're seeing if you want to stay with the stainless finish (but it won't be shiny) and following bead blast, we can Cerakote it if you'd like.

Hope this helps....

MB

...and this is why if I ever purchase a .22 caliber magazine fed rifle it will be a Vudoo. Customer service and follow through even after the rifle is delivered.

'Nuf said. <mic drop>

Regards,
    Ken

Reactions: ccollier and jbell
    If you plan on hovering over the barrel with magnified pictures for the internet then take the time to send it in but if you plan to shoot it for accuracy then go shoot it. I wouldn't send it back myself but your time.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    If you plan on hovering over the barrel with magnified pictures for the internet then take the time to send it in but if you plan to shoot it for accuracy then go shoot it. I wouldn't send it back myself but your time.

Agreed. I would've hit that with some high grit wet dry sand paper and a little flitz to finish it off.