• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Scored an Accuracy International AE MK III for $4500 - Need Suggestions for Next Steps

orba_66

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2023
CA :(
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm absolutely stoked to share with you all that I've just managed to pick up an Accuracy International AE MK III (pristine condition, basically new), chambered in 260 Remington, all for a cool $4500. This is my first venture into the world of long range bolt action shooting, although I do have a CZ457 that's also en route to me (I guess it's just my lucky season!)

I'm quite familiar with short to medium range shooting, but I'm still getting my feet wet with long range precision. Therefore, I am humbly reaching out to this amazing community for advice. I have to admit, having such a sophisticated tool in my hands is a bit daunting, but also extremely exciting.

1. Preparation: What should be my first steps in terms of preparing the rifle for use? Any specific break-in process I should follow, or other maintenance/care tips specific to this model?
  2. Optics: I haven't decided on optics yet, and could really use your input here. I'm aware it's a highly personal choice and often comes down to budget, but I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have. My budget is reasonably flexible, and I want something that will do justice to the capabilities of this rifle. I'd love to hear both your high-end and budget-friendly options.
  3. Ammunition: I know that 260 Remington has a good reputation for long-range accuracy, but any particular brands, grain weight, or bullet type you prefer?
  4. Accessories: Are there any essential accessories I should consider? Bipods, muzzle brakes, anything else?
  5. Training/Practice: Any drills, training routines, or resources you'd recommend for a newcomer to long range shooting? I want to make sure I'm honing my skills in the right way.
I'm excited to embark on this journey with such a renowned piece of kit, and I'm eager to learn from all of you. Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

1. Run a few pitches down the barrel and shoot it.

2. Attend a local match and ask to look through some of the shooters’ scopes, but don’t waste $ on one of those IOR Valdada or WTF they are.

3. Something in the 130-142 range with a good BC.

4. Stay away from chinesium bipods. I’d look at Atlas first.

5. Start out by shooting. Then spend some $ and watch Frank’s videos here. There’s good info in them.

I did pay a lot, but the other used ones on the market rn are in pretty rough condition and going for about $1k less. I think they’ve gone up in price (as evidenced by some other threads on here as well).

Also, regarding the ATX. I do have a certain nostalgia for the AI AE—i like the design and I’m pretty sure new barrels are backwards compatible . Noted though.

Reactions: Baron23 and MK20

I put one of these on my mklll and really like how far out it puts the bipod.

I put one of these on my mklll and really like how far out it puts the bipod.
Any idea if the AW forward bipod mounts are compatible with the AE chassis?

It gives the option for picatinny or arca for the AE chassis.

Screenshot_20230521-215502_Chrome.jpg

It gives the option for picatinny or arca for the AE chassis.

View attachment 8146423
Ah yes, the AW has a specific mount for the front bipod. I was wondering if this would also work as an adapter (the compatibility matrix between the AE, AW, and other AI rifles is generally confusing and undocumented).

edit: I see what you mean. The system you linked has the forward mounting bipod option.

Any other accessories would be appreciated. Not sure if the top uses a proprietary rail (it looks like a pic rail with a few missing teeth?). I’m guessing I may consider replacing that with a 0 MOA pic rail as well.

Last edited:
I thought the AE and AW were all in the same chassis, the only difference is the AE is cheaper and is a round action instead of octagonal?

So why would the mounts be different for the aics chassis?

Pay for the online training videos here. It's VERY worth it.

Put an Atlas on it with one of those Anarchy spigot replacement things on it.

Go shoot and enjoy it.

If you have the extra cash, pick up a good used single stage reloading setup from an estate ideally.

Pay for the online training videos here. It's VERY worth it.

Put an Atlas on it with one of those Anarchy spigot replacement things on it.

Go shoot and enjoy it.

If you have the extra cash, pick up a good used single stage reloading setup from an estate ideally.
I’ll do it! Is there a link somewhere?

Reactions: MK20
Go into the menu and hit upgrade. Super easy. Any issues, let us know.

BTW, here is how an AI typically shoots if you can do it.

16329954724474864845874547309063.jpg

I’ll start with a couple of books as well.

Any opinions on the Vortex razor scopes? Really don’t know much about what I’m looking for here—I’ll do some research on these obvious questions as well.

Depends on your budget.
Razor
Bushnell elite tactical
Trijicon tenmile

Those are all good with the razor being probably top of the pack. If you want to step it up from there look at Tangent Theta, ZCO, and some of the nicer nightforce scopes. The nightforce will be a bit on the lower end of the elite tier optics that I listed.

Stay away from Athlon and anything made in China. There is good reason beyond just hating commies.

Ended up buying the vortex razor. $1700 for the top-spec model on eurooptics is just too hard to pass up.

Very nice! Do you plan on running NV on the rail?

Any idea what model of Parker Hale bipod came stock on the AW? I think I'd prefer that over the harris

look at it and rub a couple off you won the lottery and what else should you do with your winnings . clean then get out there and shoot it .

Reopening this, anyone know if a bore guide is necessary? I was planning on just using bore snakes to clean this but I've seen some posts (circa 2013) that seem to highly recommend an AI bore guide like this one:
Don’t use a bore snake on that $7k rifle

get a bore guide, patches, jag, and brushes. I use a relatively inexpensive dewey cleaning rod.
You don’t have to clean often, but when you do, you want to do it right.
Also, you don’t need an expensive bore guide. Im sure that AI guide is nice, but I’ve always used plastic ones that cost 10-$15.

I rarely clean my bolt guns as long as they’re shooting well.

Last edited:
Don’t use a bore snake on that $7k rifle

get a bore guide, patches, jag, and brushes. I use a relatively inexpensive dewey cleaning rod.
You don’t have to clean often, but when you do, you want to do it right.
Also, you don’t need an expensive bore guide. Im sure that AI guide is nice, but I’ve always used plastic ones that cost 10-$15.

I rarely clean my bolt guns as long as they’re shooting well.
Thanks for this.

I’m emailing Mike Lucas now for a quote.

Reactions: trob
Thanks for this.

I’m emailing Mike Lucas now for a quote.
I don’t know if that AI bore guide has a solvent port hole, but my Lucas guides have one. Sure helps me keep solvent from squeezing out and spilling everywhere.

The first thing you should do is start reloading .260 rem

The second thing you should do is let me shoot it😀

Reactions: padom
Ended up buying the vortex razor. $1700 for the top-spec model on eurooptics is just too hard to pass up.

Razor gen2 or gen3??? I suspect Gen3 for that money....You could have got a Gen3 6-36 from Liberty Optics for not much more and it's a WAY better scope than a Gen2

Reactions: spife7980
Depends on your budget.
Razor
Bushnell elite tactical
Trijicon tenmile

Those are all good with the razor being probably top of the pack. If you want to step it up from there look at Tangent Theta, ZCO, and some of the nicer nightforce scopes. The nightforce will be a bit on the lower end of the elite tier optics that I listed.

Stay away from Athlon and anything made in China. There is good reason beyond just hating commies.

Not all Athlons are made in china...Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 is made in Japan at LOW just like your Razors😉

I had 2 bad Athlon Ares ETR scopes with massively included glass.

I sent them back with a specific description of what was wrong and they said they would fix it.

6 scopes later, of multiple models, all of which had the same systemic glass issues, I gave up on Athlon ever giving a shit about any product they put out and just sold the scopes.

They quite clearly said by their actions that they don't give a shit. I even spoke to their CEO on here via PM and he was nice, but even after he told the warranty department to hand pick good ones to send out to me, they still couldn't find ones without glass problems.

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
I’m re-chambering it in 6.5cm, as much as I’d love to get into reloading I don’t really have the space for it. In the future if I decide to start reloading I’ll have the .260 barrel to play around with.

Anyone can shoot the rifle (obvious gun safety caveats obviously apply to this), I didn’t get it to sit around and collect dust :).

The scope I got is a vortex razor gen 3 6-36x54. Liberty was pretty cagey about the price matching with euro optics—seemed much more straight forward (and cheaper) ordering from euro optics instead of having to go back and forth over a quote via email. I deal with enough negotiation in my day job, I don’t need or want that in my hobbies as well.

I am looking to compete in some PRS stuff once I get my footing (signed up for a class in my area as well). I read the long range shooters handbook. It’s just too bad the only PRS competition in my state (CA) is the tactical one—or at least I think?

Due to caliber restrictions prohibiting 6.5cm from the PRS tactical comp means I have to get yet another $1k barrel for .308 or (more likely) I’ll get a different rifle for .308 altogether. I think these AIAEs are starting to become collector items due to their popularity in video games and I don’t want to ding it up too much going from position to position). Depending on how deep I go into the rabbit hole, a Tikka T3x A1 Tac might be in my near future (or an AI AX/AT/ATX or w/e is trendy at that point).

Last edited:
Reactions: trob
I’m re-chambering it in 6.5cm, as much as I’d love to get into reloading I don’t really have the space for it. In the future if I decide to start reloading I’ll have the .260 barrel to play around with.

Anyone can shoot the rifle (obvious gun safety caveats obviously apply to this), I didn’t get it to sit around and collect dust :).

The scope I got is a vortex razor gen 3 6-36x54. Liberty was pretty cagey about the price matching with euro optics—seemed much more straight forward (and cheaper) ordering from euro optics instead of having to go back and forth over a quote via email. I deal with enough negotiation in my day job, I don’t need or want that in my hobbies as well.

I am looking to compete in some PRS stuff once I get my footing (signed up for a class in my area as well). I read the long range shooters handbook. It’s just too bad the only PRS competition in my state (CA) is the tactical one—or at least I think?

Due to caliber restrictions prohibiting 6.5cm from the PRS tactical comp means I have to get yet another $1k barrel for .308 or (more likely) I’ll get a different rifle for .308 altogether. I think these AIAEs are starting to become collector items due to their popularity in video games and I don’t want to ding it up too much going from position to position). Depending on how deep I go into the rabbit hole, a Tikka T3x A1 Tac might be in my near future (or an AI AX/AT/ATX or w/e is trendy at that point).

You can find a lightly used 6.5 barrel here in the PX for 5 to 600 bucks. Just be patient and check often and you will have one within 2 months.