• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just shot my best rimfire group ever.

Lineman711

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
TN
Got bored today, wasn't seeing any groundhogs. Stepped out from the truck 50 steps, stuck a Shoot-N-See target on a box and shot 5 shots from my new CZ 452 Varmint. First 5 were a little to the right, moved the scope an inch left covered that group and fired 5 more. Best group I've ever shot from a rimfire. Hit the target with the LRF and it was 58 yards.
Federal Gold Medal Ammo, CZ 452, prone with bipod.
Loving this gun. Got less than 100 rounds through it.
Picture004.jpg

Re: Just shot my best rimfire group ever.

Very nice shooting! What scope are you using?

I just threw on a Weaver 4-12x44 AO in some Millet angle-locs for now. Looking to upgrade after I get this wedding and honeymoon paid for.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm really liking this CZ. Brought a whole new level of rimfire shooting to me. Big step up, in accuracy anyway, from my Nylon 66 and 2 pump guns.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get to stretch it out to 100 yards and see if I can still hold a pretty tight group there. Also picked up some Wolf MT to see how it does along with about a half dozen types of cheap ammo.

I just put a Winchester bipod from Wal-Mart on it. I'm not liking it too much, need to get another Harris. I'm thinking the crosshairs on the Weaver scope may be a little thick for target shooting, but it's all I have right now. Wish I hadn't sold my SS scope and put it on this gun. Oh well...you live and learn I guess.

Got to shoot about an hour or so today. Seemed like every brand of ammo I had shot good at 50 yards. Moved the target back to 115 yards (big ditch right at 100) and groups really opened up. Cheap bulk Federal shot ok, about 2". Remington didn't group well at all. Federal Gold Medal (711B) still held the tightest group at both 50 and 100 yards. Really disappointed in Wolf MT at 100 yards, horrible groups. Here's the last 2 I shot, Federal 711B on left and Wolf MT on right. Haven't measured either 5 shot group, but the Federal can be covered completely with a quarter.
Picture005.jpg

Reticle on the Weaver is way too thick for precision shooting, could barely see any orange at 100 yards on the target.
A tad breezy today, but nothing that should have really affected the groups.

Edit: Both groups are 5 shots, the high round on the right target was a sighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A tad breezy today, but nothing that should have really affected the groups.
</div></div>

Even a 2mph breeze is enough to open groups up with a 22lr at 100yds and beyond.

Have you modified the trigger? I ask b/c I have a CZ 452 V in .22 w/ a Weaver V-16 in Warne rings. I did the 'Eric Brooks' trigger spring adjustment several years ago from www.rimfirecentral.com. Very nice. I don't have trigger pull gagues, but I'd guess it's at 16 oz or so with no creep. Best $15 ever spent on gun stuff...

jmg...I have a cousin that just got back from the Colorado school of gunsmithing and I had him take my .308 and which I set at 2lbs and very crisp and try to match the CZ trigger to it. Blindfolded, I doubt anyone could guess which one is which. I was going to go the Brooks route, but he told me that in school they worked on several of these triggers and that he'd like to try and get it where I wanted it before I bought anything. He did a great job and proved that the CZ triggers can be made light and creep free stock. I know the kit is just $15, but you can't beat free.

Most of the time the Wolf ME works better for me , But it looks like your rifle likes the 711B , great for you as the 711B is usually cheaper.
Howard

Actually, I was hoping the Wolf gave me the best results because my dealer always has it in stock and let's me have it for $4/50. The Federal is harder to find, a gun store in a neighboring town usually has 5-10 boxes of it, but it's around $5/50.

Not giving up on the Wolf yet though, I'm new to this gun as well as rimfire shooting, and I very well could have just got lucky with the Federal.

Just sold that Weaver scope to my dad tonight and will be picking up a new one, or possibly ordering one, Friday. I know for sure that 100 yard and beyond shooting will be better with a thinner cross hair.

I need to get on a bench sometime after I get a new scope mounted and do some more ammo testing like that rather than just off a bipod.

hey kevin what model bipod are you using in that picture?

If it degrades over time, consider geting hold of a chamber reamer and using it to gently chase the forward end of the chamber. Lead builds up at that end of the chamber and affects accuracy. Doing the reamer thingie brings it back just about every time.

I haven't tried the High Velocity Federal yet, how does it compare to the target rounds?

Nice looking setup.