• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Started Cycling Again

Vodoun daVinci

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    Used to live on a bicycle when I was a kid....back when 12-18 year olds could deliver newspapers for money. That was 45 years ago. A coworker recently took up cycling during his lunch time at work (we are minutes from a bike path) and ended up losing 60 pounds and looks like a million $. He invited me to join him so I dragged a ancient 18 speed out from our storage and cleaned her up. Started riding again a few days ago and have become addicted in 5 rides.

I'm 63 and after the first ride I couldn't walk up my stairs. Last night I'm up to 3 miles in 15ish minutes. So sore today (good sore - DOMS) I may have to skip my ride today to appease my Wife who is concerned I'll hurt myself.

I have no idea how I lived the last 45 years without riding but I'm certain I'll be riding on a regular basis for the rest of my Life now. Holy shit, what a rush. Hats off to you guys who have been cycling for years. Yer my new heros,

VooDoo

Were they three very hilly miles? If not three miles should not make you that sore. You might benefit by making sure the bike is properly fit to you.

Reactions: Wlfdg
    No doubt. The saddle is killing me...not really a difficult ride unless yer 63 and have not ridden in literally 45 years. Taking it slow but loving every minute of it. I priced better tires as the ones I have are super knobby mud tires and the local Dude at the Cycle Store told me not to waste my money on such rusted wheels unless I was gonna replace them as well.

New saddle, new wheels, new tires and tubes and a good chunk towards a new bike. So it looks like a new bike in the next few weeks.

VooDoo

Reactions: Wlfdg and diverdon
    Good for you; I bought a high-end, carbon fiber framed bike a few years back thinking it would reverse the aging process and help me defy gravity on the local climbs = didn't work!

Nope. Gotta put my training time in....I'm a former martial artist and weight lifter that just wants to keep going as long as possible. At 63 I can still rock out 100 pushups *but* haven't been on a bike in 45 years.

Not the same skill/muscle set. I'll get there. But it probably won't be this week. In the mean time I *love* cycling and even if I can only run for 20 - 30 minutes and cover 6 miles I'll be thrilled. Hopefully I can progress beyond that as they are building a new bridge across the Mississippi River where I live and it will have a bike path to link two states together.

I'm hot to ride the river and make 20 miles at a ride but it'll take some training. I. Will. Do. It.

VooDoo

Good for you and set reasonable goals for getting yourself in cycling shape. Rode my bicycle everywhere when I was a kid and got back into it in '91 when I was 36. 28 years later and still at it at 64. Raced for a number of years and now just do it for fitness. Took a spill last May and wound up with a displaced fracture of my femur which required surgery with plates, pins and screws installed. Back on the bike in 5 months and training for the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic in SW Colorado over Memorial Day.

Your butt is going to hurt for a week or two any time you lay off the bike for awhile. Get a good saddle and cycling shorts and your butt will thank you. To avoid injury get a good bike fit since poor fit can result in knee and back issues.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
    Iam 20miles from the nearest Walmart...... And been looking at bikes on Craigslist.......

Ever have questions let me know...ultra riding/bike packing is my thing first and foremost before rifles. Would be happy to chat!

Cycling is great for fitness and you can kill two birds by cycling to and from work depending on your circumstances.

I started cycling a little more seriously about 12 years ago. My usual ride is an out and back over hilly terrain, what's downhill out is uphill back. The total ride is about 10-1/2 miles and takes a little less than 45 minutes. I have a cheap monitor on the bike and try to increase my average MPH. I'm 74.

I've been riding since August. I just turned 65 in January. I've got a Vilano TUONO off Amazon for $239.00 shipped. It aluminium off course and it's heavy ( 28 pounds) but for a beginner it's a good bike. I ride 40 to 50 miles every other day pretty consistent and will go over 2700 miles next ride. Next year I'm going to get a better bike but for what it is I'm still not able to out ride it. It has a freewheel not a cassette so on some downhills I run out of the gear, and on some climbs it's a bear the gearing is pretty wide but that's rare.

Last edited:
    If you have back problems (weight lifter) look into a more upright handlebar configuration. I jacked up my back years ago and that works wonders for me.

I noticed by sheltering at home, I wasn't burning enough calories so I had trouble sleeping at night. I'd toss and turn and can't sleep. I regularly head to the outdoors to go camping, hiking, and shooting (perhaps) but basically all the trailheads are closed (too popular). So I've gone back to biking 10-15 miles about 3 times a week. Sleep is so much nicer now.

Reactions: canman
    Not sure exactly what kind of bike you have or how old, but a new set of tires will make a world of difference if you are still on old rubber. Most guys I ride with all ride Continental Grand Prix 5000s. The 5000 replaced the 4000; if you do some research you will see the "GP 4000" has been the go to tire for quite some time.

I would maybe treat your bike to some new bar tape too, if it is very old. These two things can really transform the way a bike feels for very little cost. Park Tools has a great Youtube video on how to wrap handlebar tape if you have not done it before.

Either way, welcome back to cycling! It is a great way to get outside and get some exercise.

Really loving seeing this thread, as most here posting are mid/later 60’s-I’m 67, and getting the same feelings rediscovering cycling as the first time I got a bike as a kid. I had some continuing issues with running about 25 years ago, and picked up riding as a way to eliminate hip/knee injuries and still get a great cardio workout in. Took a couple years doing Saturday training rides in San Antonio to the point I could do some successful MTB racing around the Hill Country. Lots of great folks willing to help get you started, keep going and never let you drop too far off the back of the pack.
    Saddle selection, proper bike fit and appropriate shorts and jersey will make for a much more comfortable and productive experience. As noted, make reasonable goals, find some friends to ride with and get out there. I feel like a kid every time I saddle up.

Used to live on a bicycle when I was a kid....back when 12-18 year olds could deliver newspapers for money. That was 45 years ago. A coworker recently took up cycling during his lunch time at work (we are minutes from a bike path) and ended up losing 60 pounds and looks like a million $. He invited me to join him so I dragged a ancient 18 speed out from our storage and cleaned her up. Started riding again a few days ago and have become addicted in 5 rides.

I'm 63 and after the first ride I couldn't walk up my stairs. Last night I'm up to 3 miles in 15ish minutes. So sore today (good sore - DOMS) I may have to skip my ride today to appease my Wife who is concerned I'll hurt myself.

I have no idea how I lived the last 45 years without riding but I'm certain I'll be riding on a regular basis for the rest of my Life now. Holy shit, what a rush. Hats off to you guys who have been cycling for years. Yer my new heros,

VooDoo
    Good for you

I do two 20 mile rides a week on my road bike and then 2-3 spin sessions on the Peloton. I am 59.

When I lived in SoCal I was a Cat 3 racer and rode 300 miles a week. My wife called me a man-o-rexic.

We move to New England in 2012 and the roads here are not conducive to road bikes. They have too many cracks, heaves and potholes for those wheels and tires. Plus the roads are narrow and full of jack-offs. Therefore I stopped riding and gained a shit ton of weight. I also started smoking again...

Fast forward to Christmas 2018 and my in-laws bought us a Peloton. I quit smoking and started riding it. I have lost 25 pounds. I feel awesome. Three weeks ago, I took the road bike out for the first time since 2012. Had a freaking blast. Wasn't too sore due to all of the spin.

Glad you had a good time. Soreness will go away...keep it up

Reactions: bobke
    Nik:

Good for you brother and stay at it. Been a road cyclist for many years and was a Cat 3 in my younger days. Turned 65 in March and still ride for fitness and pleasure . Always register for ride events such as Iron Horse which keeps me focused on training. Have a trainer setup at home which I ride to during the week. Took a spill in May of 2018 and broke my femur which required surgery. Was back on the bike that following September and rode Iron Horse in May of 2019. Funny thing was six weeks after surgery I was still using a walker but could ride a stationary bike like nothing happened.

Nik:

Good for you brother and stay at it. Been a road cyclist for many years and was a Cat 3 in my younger days. Turned 65 in March and still ride for fitness and pleasure . Always register for ride events such as Iron Horse which keeps me focused on training. Have a trainer setup at home which I ride to during the week. Took a spill in May of 2018 and broke my femur which required surgery. Was back on the bike that following September and rode Iron Horse in May of 2019. Funny thing was six weeks after surgery I was still using a walker but could ride a stationary bike like nothing happened.

Awesome!!

It’s the stories of guys like Vodoun starting out again and climbing that ladder, to the veteran cyclists doing this for their whole lives, recovering from injuries and getting right back on, that provide motivation for me to keep turning the cranks. Appreciate you guys for that, and helps me get up climbs that might feel a bit harder on given days.

It’s the stories of guys like Vodoun starting out again and climbing that ladder, to the veteran cyclists doing this for their whole lives, recovering from injuries and getting right back on, that provide motivation for me to keep turning the cranks. Appreciate you guys for that, and helps me get up climbs that might feel a bit harder on given days.

Like the handle. Met Rob Roll in Durango several years ago. Quite the character.

Glad to see Tour has been postponed and not cancelled, and we’ll get to hear more of Bob’s wit and color commentary. Wouldn’t be a proper Tour without Bob, Liggett and team at the helm.

I always scheduled my daily ride during the Tour to get back in time to watch the day's ride. I'll miss it in July but at least it will happen.