• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just started reloading 9mm how doy primers look?

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Seems like might be a little hot? 5.3gr of CFE pistol, 115gr Hornady HAP, brass from Fiocci range dynamics ammo, COAL is whatever federals 115 fmj load is (used to set the die). Primers look a little flowy? Gen 5 glock.

Also going through and sizing this brass for the second time I had a case crack in the die.

Attachments

• 20230615_134937.jpg
    20230615_134937.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230615_133537.jpg
    20230615_133537.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 109
Are you saying yes it's hot?
I should say gun is fairly new to me too so I am not too familiar with how fired primers look normally.
Well, let me be a bit more balanced. I don't load for handguns. If I saw that degree of primer cratering coming out of my bolt rifle, there would be no doubt that the load was quite a bit too hot.

Cheers

Last edited:
The primers aren't flat but that flow is more than I would be comfortable with.

What does a factory round look like when it is fired?

Are you absolutely sure your scale is calibrated and the powder measure is set correctly for 5.3 grains?

Those probably just look weird from your Glock's striker. I don't have pics, but I just went out in my garage and looked at a bunch of range pick-up 9mm I've got out there and some look a lot like yours.

That, and, ~5gn CFE-P with a 115 is sort of a known load with some guys having to go to 5.6-5.8gn to make power factor in USPSA (130pf IIRC) which isn't too hot: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/296291-9-minor-load-115-w-cfe-pistol-or-vv-n320/

Those probably just look weird from your Glock's striker. I don't have pics, but I just went out in my garage and looked at a bunch of range pick-up 9mm I've got out there and some look a lot like yours.

That, and, ~5gn CFE-P with a 115 is sort of a known load with some guys having to go to 5.6-5.8gn to make power factor in USPSA (130pf IIRC) which isn't too hot: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/296291-9-minor-load-115-w-cfe-pistol-or-vv-n320/
That's what I was thinking. It's under comfortably Hornadys max. The factory Fiocchi was noticeably hotter, and primers look worse than these. These are CCI mag primers.

My scale is good. I reload a pretty good amount of rifle and have been for awhile.

That's what I was thinking. It's under comfortably Hornadys max. The factory Fiocchi was noticeably hotter, and primers look worse than these. These are CCI mag primers.

My scale is good. I reload a pretty good amount of rifle and have been for awhile.

It's just the Glock primer imprint, like @CK1.0 . That is all.

Not to mention, a "hot" 9mm load is no where closer to flattening a magnum primer.

Reactions: jLorenzo