• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just venting. Ok I have one question!!

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Today was one of the worst training sessions I’ve had in a very long time. I could not get into a good NPOA position to save my life. I felt tense, like I was holding the gun up even in the prone position.

I’m also anxious about getting my AI and feel like my R700 is not worth the time to shoot, which I know is absolutely ridiculous. I’m such a child!!!! No wonder I get along with my girlfriends 12 year old son so well, LOLOLOL. I just need to get my head into it.

I do have a question though. I have a Harris Bi Pod. The model that swivels as well as tilts left and right. I noticed that after every shot my crosshairs seem to be left side low, not level with the horizon. It seems as if the gun was twisting to the left, torquing against the natural rifling or bullet spin. I have the knob torqued down but it still does it a bit. How much could that twist affect accuracy?

I’ll post this question on the right topic too, but while I’m here I’ll ask it anyway since its somewhat topic related. Should I get the AI bipod or will the one I have work fine?
Thanks guys
R.

Re: Just venting. Ok I have one question!!

It does that. If you don't have one, get a Pod-Loc for the Harris bipod. I have the tension on mine adjusted so that I can adjust the cant of the rifle, but it's tight enough not to flop around. When it moves a bit during recoil, I just straighten it up before the next shot.

The AI bipod just flops around. I vastly prefer the Harris on my AI.

Take a breath, relax, and THINK about it. Your position has three elements: NPA, muscular relaxation, and bone/artifcial support. Build your position to realize all of these elements before you dress-up your sight picture. Too often, the target becomes a distraction to good shooting as the shooter will attempt to get a sight picture before the position has been properly built. Then, with concentration on the target distracting the shooter from elements like NPA, which has not yet been adjusted, results will not be as desired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a breath, relax, and THINK about it. Your position has three elements: NPA, muscular relaxation, and bone/artifcial support. Build your position to realize all of these elements before you dress-up your sight picture. Too often, the target becomes a distraction to good shooting as the shooter will attempt to get a sight picture before the position has been properly built. Then, with concentration on the target distracting the shooter from elements like NPA, which has not yet been adjusted, results will not be as desired. </div></div>

Excellent post Sterling Shooter. I really appreciate the insight I get from your marksmanship posts. Thanks again.

Hey Sterling,
Yeah you're right, I just needed to get into it mentally as well as physically.

I did a bit of dry firing yesterday and I noticed that I developed a tendency to drift right and a little low, which is consistent with my target. Now that I’ve IDed one of my issues I’ll work on it at home. I haven't been doing a lot of dry firing lately and its showing in my target. It never ceases to amaze me how perishable this stuff really is.

Thanks
R.