• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just want to know the downside of ring position

Cigarcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Pottstown, Pa
If I had or wanted to mount a scope with both rings having to be forward the center Turret what would be the downside if any?
I have a rifle that I just can't get comfortable behind unless the scope would be mounted this way but I haven't shot it as described. Would the scope internals unltimately be shaken apart?
The rings are approx 4" apart on the front tube.

Re: Just want to know the downside of ring position

People have done that with IOR's for some time now and were told it would not effect warranty to do so. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">People have done that with IOR's for some time now</span> and were told it would not effect warranty to do so. YMMV.
</div></div>

Why?

Probably not a good thing to do, unless it is a 1 piece tube which I am pretty certain the IOR is not.

Depends on the IOR....

I ran two rings forward of the erector assembly on an M2 mounted on my AR-only way I could get the eye relief right.

Thanks for the replies, this won't be an IOR, I'll either use an NXS or Mark4, they are my choices. it is the only way to achieve the eye relief I need.

Sounds to me like maybe your stock is too long.

I'd try to shorten the stock before putting both rings forward.

It should be fine, But if your beating you rifle hard or doing crazy stuff with it. this will make it a little weaker.

Do tell what all this is being mounted on...enquiring minds ( or mindless) wanna know...