• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Just wanted to say thank you.

Jaron3

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2017
I’m relatively new to long range shooting. Ive been reading tons of posts on this site about equipment, fundamentals etc but never shot a rifle at unknown distances. This past Tuesday I was off work and the day was warming up into the 40s with little wind so I decided to shoot at distance...for me anyway. I found a spot in an old slate dump that I could shoot from but my range finder couldn’t range that far. I got on google earth and “ruled” the distance as best as I could. After verifying my zero and running the info into the ballistic calculator, also a first for me, I dialed the scope and made a first round hit at 628 yards. I’m sure there was some luck involved, especially with the range estimation, but it surprised the hell out of me. After my target was gone I began shooting pieces of slate that I could see on the slate hill at the same range and had really good success at that as well. 24 shots were fired. 3 for 100 yard zero check, 20 at distance and 1 more at 100 to confirm zero again. I wanted to thank you for the info and experience you provided me. I’m positive it played a major roll in getting my shooting position more stable, trigger discipline and follow through. I guess this is where I can officially say that the addiction has begun.

And down the rabbit hole you go?
And bring money wit'cha.

Actually, it's entirely possible, physically, to acquire a quite competent rifle, optic, supporting gear (bag, bipod), and factory ammo for relatively reasonable cost. But. Addiction. If a little dab'l do ya, you ain't addicted!

Well, I’m not in as deep as most of you probably. I try to stretch my mad money as much as I can but there’s some things that you can’t skimp on and I’m finding that out. I got a gen2 RPR in 6.5. Put an Ergo grip and Atlas bipod on it and tested different factory loads in it to see what grouped best cause I don’t reload. Got a Cabela’s Covenant 6-24 FFP MOA on top for now. A Razor is in the works in mils. As for a rear bag I just have a couple hiking socks stuffed with airsoft bbs. They work well for me right now. The scope tracks well and returns to zero without issue but what really bugs me about it is the eye box. You have to be perfectly centered behind it or it’ll go dark on you. If nothing else though it’ll keep me where I need to be but it’s a pain especially when shooting from awkward positions. The main thing for me right now though is building on and perfecting the fundamentals. Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. That’s where you folks came in huge for me. Thanks again.

Just remember, put food on the table, clothes on the family, and pay your bills... then look at ways to upgrade your precision game. Shopping used on the hide for most things will save you lots (though my wife says I didn't save anything, I still spent $$$.) Particularly early on, $1000 in quality training will improve your shooting far more than improving your equipment by the same $1000.

All that said, I see a ZCO in your future?

Reactions: lash and tnichols
Earthtrekker - I’d love to get some training but I’m having a hard time finding it locally. SW PA. Also, I’m sorry but what does ZCO mean?

Earthtrekker - I’d love to get some training but I’m having a hard time finding it locally. SW PA. Also, I’m sorry but what does ZCO mean?
Ask around on the Hide for training opportunities near you. Much experience here and many of these guys are savy with where the good schools are. ZCO is one of the two best riflescopes out there. Don't worry about it for a few years. Guys are winning comps with all manner of scopes. No need to break the bank.

Haha. No Zero Compromise or Tangent Theta for me. I’ll stick with the Vortex Gen 2 Razor I’m eyeing up.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Haha. No Zero Compromise or Tangent Theta for me. I’ll stick with the Vortex Gen 2 Razor I’m eyeing up.
I remember when I said crazy things like that! Just kidding, welcome to the group and enjoy all the good info on the HIDE.

I remember not too long ago when i thought buy once cry one meant something along the lines of a Vortex Viper PST gen 1. My shooting buddy had S&B's, Nightforce, you name it. I thought there was no way in hell I would ever purchase a scope for $3K plus. A couple of years later I have a Nightforce and a Minox, both on top of very expensive custom builds. This sport is very addicting. Welcome and I wish you the best in your journey.

Thank you. My journey revolves around my kids so anything beyond them is free game. Haha. New hobbies are fun. The cool thing is some people question my goal to shoot to a mile. They ask me” What do you want to do that for?” My response... That’s what I’m into. I don’t ridicule you for being a Steelers suck pump so don’t ridicule me for actually making goals that are achievable by me and me alone. They don’t like that.

Reactions: ShtrRdy