• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just when I thought I had my mind made up!

Penguin156

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Wisconsin
Hello guys, long time reader on the forums but this is my first post. Long story short, I spent my 4 years in the Marines as a grunt kicking in doors with a couple tours in Iraq. I feel I have some basic marksmanship skills but most of my experiance with rifles is in the AR platform in more of a CQB style and I really want to get into the long range bolt game. I finally had my mind made up on the Remington 700 5r with the 20" threaded barrel and then this showed up:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2723345#Post2723345

Now it's time to ask the experts. I like the idea of stainless because sometimes I do go play in the snow and can stay in moist enviorments for extended periods. I also like the idea of the threaded barrel on the 5r because I'm eventually going to expand my supressor collection to include a .308 can. The thing that I really like about the action posted in here is the Krieger barrel, as I live about 10 minutes from Krieger Barrel and all of my friends who have one absolutely love the results.

Sorry for being a total noob, not to the firearm world but to the bolt gun world, but it's time for me to ask some advice. Which would be the better build, the 700 5r or should I buy the barreled action and save my pennies for a good stock? Either way I'll eventually throw a Leupold Mark 4 on her. Thanks in advance for all advice, I'm really looking forward to what you guys have to say.

Re: Just when I thought I had my mind made up!

A 5R in an aftermarket stock will out shoot most people for the majority of their shooting life.

Tikka T3 if you want to be different. I haven't had much experience with a Remmy so i won't comment on them.

Savage are also good for the price. But a bit rough on the edges.

EDIT:
Also, Welcome to the hide.

I would be all over that custom action for a couple reasons. First and foremost, you can pick your stock. Not that the HS Precision that comes on a 5R is bad, it just doesn't fit me. You may love it.
Second, I like the specs on that custom. While the 5R has a pretty good track record (and I have owned one), I like the barrel contour, recoil lug, finish and trigger on that custom better (that is as long as its NOT an X mark pro). It also appears the holes in the receiver for mounting a scope have been enlarged (but maybe not... It's hard for me to tell) Not to mention the barrel's a Krieger. Those are pretty much all of the improvements or changes you would end up making eventually. Hell, throw it in a McMillan A4 and it's almost an M40A3!
It will definitely end up costing you around twice what you can get a 5R for so YOU have to decide if it's worth it. FWIW...

Why does that receiver have cut outs for stripper clips? Or have I just never noticed it on other rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does that receiver have cut outs for stripper clips? Or have I just never noticed it on other rifles? </div></div>
Probably to be more like the USMC's M40 Series of Sniper Rifles. The M40's, M40A1's and M40A3's are all made from 40x receivers which come that way from Remington in the "Repeater" configuration IIRC...

I even comes with the lugged scope mount. All you need is a stock, rings, and scope. If I had the money is be all over this.

I'm still kind of split in my decision. I also really like the barrel profile on the custom action a lot better. Being a Marine I really like the idea of having something that's almost an M40a3, that's what they were using while I was in and I really liked it when I had a chance to play with one.

Skeetlee, you say the price is stiff, how much would you expect to pay for something like this? Have you seen something similar for cheaper?

I can understand where Lee is coming from since you generally see barreled actions for far less, but those are usually stock actions from what I've seen. The way I figure is if it was in say, an A4 stock, which sells for around $850.00 would it be a $2000 rifle? I think it would.

Yeah, I think it would too, but it doesn't have bottom metal which would probably be about $300 correct? I'm pretty sure I have a wood Remington 700 stock laying around so maybe if I bought this I could get this action to fit in the stock for a temporary platform until I could save the extra for the McMillan.

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld: You are asking about buying a known unknown versus an unknown unknown.

Graham, please pardon my ignorance but I'm not exactly sure what you're taking about.

With a 5R, chances are that you are getting a very good rifle, but there is a small chance that Remington didn't cut the chamber round or somehow messed-up the receiver holes. Either way, you are covered by a warranty (albeit one you probably wouldn't want to try to use). It's a 'known unknown'.

With the custom job you are placing your complete faith, sight unseen, in the knowledge, skills and abilities of the builder and committing up-front to spend more of your money and time to complete the rifle with a stock and bedding before you can use it. It's an 'unknown unknown'.

Those are two very different things, so your decision is between dissimilar items.

Ask yourself again how much you want to spend, what it would cost to (maybe) replace a stock on a 5R versus what it would cost to have to buy a stock and bed it, and/or what you would be prepared to do to fix what you may find that you don't like about an existing partial custom.

If it were me, I would be confident in knowing that I could always walk down the street and in ten minutes get a Krieger for three hundred bucks.

First decide what you want to accomplish with the rifle you intend to have. That should push you in one direction or the other.

Thanks Graham, I've considered this a little bit but don't think I've placed enough weight on having no warranty or "fall back" up until this point.

I think that pushes me a little farther towards the 5r. I can just put a base, rings and scope on and shoot the heck out of it as is. It's already threaded like I want, so I can eventually save for the McMillan a5 that I want and sell the HS so make up a little of it. The 5r doesn't really have the barrel profile that I want, but seeing I live so close to Krieger I could probably take it in to them when I save enough pennies and have them true the bolt/receiver and rebarrel it all in one shot (though this will be far in the future). Does anyone have any other input though?

On a side note, if I do get the 5r and order a McMillan with for the 5r barrel profile, would it be a problem to re-inlet the barrel channel for a heavier barrel in the future? Just things I should think about before I commit to one or the other.

If I was starting today, and I wanted to watch my spending, I would buy a 5R. I would shoot it for a thousand rounds or so, take a precision rifle course with it, then modify it to my liking all the while knowing that it is readily repairable and modifiable.

If you have lots of money and want a custom rifle, then spec it out either for a single purpose or as an all-around rifle, go to a gunsmith with a good reputation that you trust, become his customer and begin to develop a relationship with him. Then you can always go back and have him change things, or fix things, and learn from him at the same time.

If you have some money and want to buy one rifle, and spend the next ten years learning how to shoot it, and hunt with it, and shoot matches with it and takes courses with it with no worries about ever needing another rifle in that caliber, then get an AE.

If you want to order a McM, and anticipate installing a heavier contour in the future, order the stock cut for the heavier contour.

SemperFi there young DevilDog
Really doesn't matter what you buy. The thing to remember is that there are lots and lots of opinions,moist based on "feeling" and some based on fact. Straight up! It's really pretty hard to buy a bad weapon. Just stick to names like Remington, Savage, Tikka or Sako. You know? nnames you recognize. The Corps used Remington 700s in .308 when I was a kid on the Navy National team. Me? I use a Savage 10fcp--24" barrel 1/10 kitted up on a Plaster Ultimate Sniper stock; it's really ugly but I can shoot 20 round 300 yard knots with it all day long. It's the best "for me"; I really don't care who says what. Besides once you get through the super whiz bangs, CheyTecs, Barrett 50s, and all the other super hot sex platforms out there [mostly that someone wants to sell you] you'll find the all time king of the killers is the homely old .308. The Corps made that very plain at Fallujah and over in the "....stans". It's relatively small; youy don't need Marki Mark Wahlber4g [?sp?] to shoot it, ammunition doesn't break the bank, is surprisingly easy to load accurately and is consistently lethal out to a 1000 yards, and doesn't beat you to death. Follow your Corps training ; observe the fundamentals of breathe,aim, site, squeeze and good body weapon geometry and whatever you settle on, ultimately, will shoot far better than you can.
I finished Pipe College this summer past; Yes! I "pipe"; my teachers were all former Scots Guards, 42nd Paras. and Argyles and Sutherlands. Piping is military in H'/M's Royal Army. One of my instructors had just finished a comnbat tour in Afghanistan. His outfit had gotten a bit badly handled as it were by the sandcrabs. They somehow glahhmed onto Navy accurized M-14 platforms. "Wee Willie Parks" a rifleman in a heavy weapons company said to me "...Billie ah shot the blewdy bahstard once at 600Ms and bless'is 'eretic...'art he staid dewn..." . So that's my intro and my story for the .308. do what you want you're a Marine I know you'll do the right thing.
Anchor'sAway/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Have a SuperMatch grade M-1A with a Krieger heavy barrel 1/11 and a Match Grade AR15A2 with a 20" Krieger heavy barrel.
Love'em. That M-1A gobbles up M-852 all day long, plinkety plinkety plunk right in 10/X country.

all the best
Anchro'sAway/SemperFi
ChiefBull

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really doesn't matter what you buy.</div></div>It will matter to you.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's really pretty hard to buy a bad weapon.</div></div>Actually, quite the opposite.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me? I use a Savage 10fcp--24" barrel 1/10 kitted up on a Plaster Ultimate Sniper stock; it's really ugly but I can shoot 20 round 300 yard knots with it all day long. It's the best "for me"</div></div>I would not suggest going this route, although it may appear to work for some people.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you'll find the all time king of the killers is the homely old .308. The Corps made that very plain at Fallujah and over in the "....stans". It's relatively small; youy don't need Marki Mark Wahlber4g [?sp?] to shoot it, ammunition doesn't break the bank, is surprisingly easy to load accurately and is consistently lethal out to a 1000 yards, and doesn't beat you to death.</div></div>There is nothing wrong with the .308 caliber, but the military's caliber requirements differ from Iraq to Afghanistan and the .308 it not consistently lethal to 1000 yards.

+1 for what Graham said. Buy the 5r and take a course with it. Taking a course with mine helped me realize what I needed and what worked for me. The other build will be costly and thats money that could go towards the course or ammo. The 5r's that I have experience with all shot well under 1 moa with 175 smks. Personally I like the hs stock. Put a triad stock pack on it and its quite user friendly. Just my experience. Thank you for your service.

Mike, sorry if my questions sound retarded to you, but I guess I'd rather ask now and sound like a bit of a retard than spend gobs of money and then feel like a retard.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a good course to take? I'm in the Milwaukee, WI area and I haven't really heard of anything around here. Thanks for all (or at least most) of the responses so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tagged for potential epic retardedness. </div></div>Just saw that: LMFAO!!
laugh.gif

I think the retard statement was directed at chiefbull. Rifles Only Precision Rifle 1&2 would make a great vacation for you.

This is going to be long, rough, and hard, got my ashphalt hat on. So, let's get something straight right now shipmates. I've been called "retard" by better people than you, been screamed at by Admirals, yelled at by Captains so anything you cn say on this net is simply light bag work for me. Maybe I don't fit into your old boyz network; that's well enough by me. I'm a USN Chief Petty Officer don't know what any of you are and really don't care becuse if you didn't announce yourself as a Chief that means to me you weren't and probably weren't good enough to make the cut anyway. I've been in a fire at sea, had a boiler blow up on me, I can still hear the sound of a rifle bolt being closed on a river at midnight,been there too and am still alive to laught about it.
Now, as to the young Marine, anybody who's been in it can tell you it doesn't make a hill of beans what you got. Seen lots of good Marines, Corpsmen, and Sailors with chunks blown out of'em from rusty 9130s used to perfection by brown jungle monkies in black pajamas and that bloody war club was most definitely the right weapon for theme.Okay?! Like I say 'cruit it ain't what ya' got it's how ya' can use it. As for the viability of .308? hellzbellz the wizards of smart in the Pentagon have been saying that for yearsand you now what it's still there andquite possibly will be in the far term future. At a 1000 yards would I like rally to have a .338Winnie absolutely, but the records are still there to doument the kill history of .308 and tnhat is inarguable. Point of reality is though that in this country outside of a small community of riflemen and they being overwhelmingly military there is generally to spek of very little or no 1000yards shooting. Tactical riflemen in the civilian police agencies consider a "Long Range" shot to be at the most 150 yards and they really have to be really really good to make a single round CNS kill, tht is iof the tactical area commander will give them the order. As for "Long Range" hunting, I donnot want to be around someone who thinks he can shoot a 1000 yards for a barren ground caribou kill. Been there and seen'em 300 yards from a singleshot H/R .308--22" barrel 1:10 and a nice big heavy Barnes. So just exactly whoever you are "from Michigan" what is a "Long Range" shot, just what is the right rifle, for you? 2oo yards is "Long Range" here in NewEngland I think if you had shut your pie hole long enough to reread what I sent I think you would have found that we generally agree in "differing" words.
One of the things about "nets" today is that any anonymous "wannabe" can get behind a computer key bezzle and say anything; "...I'm a sniper..." blah blah, "...I shoot long range..." blah blah. Long story short if I don'tknow you I think you are a "poseur" and you stay in that box until you prove differently to me. "Moderator" I am as angry as a person can be at this point without pounding his laptop into bits and pieces. I had genuinely hoped to tune in here and "watch, look, listen and learn" like I taught all of my sailors. Instead I get slapped around by some "poseur" whoever he is "...from Michigan..." a

Moderator is you want to flamethrow me I understand.

Anchor'sAway/SemperFi
ya' got some amateurs here
ChiefBull

Penguin, that wasn't aimed at you. Ask all the questions you want.

Classic, it did come about.

Well "Chief", you're not the first to come here espousing your vast experience and "I'm the only right one in this world" mentality. You're another new poster with no history or experience to be seen to back your knowledge, experience or advice. I know Graham personally and he's GTG in my book. He also knows what he's talking about. I've seen him shoot on multiple occassions and know he's not some guy out there trying to play "sniper". He's an avid LR shooter who knows what the definition of LR shooting is.

So although I can appreciate your enthusiasm, throttle back black shoe and pound your laptop into "bits and pieces" over something that matters. There are ample here with the experience to give valid opinions. We've seen a ton of your info and opinion and it is noted accordingly.

BTW, "Anchors" in "Anchors Aweigh" doesn't take an apostrophe but I'm glad to see you at least spelled it correctly this time. I learned that in boot camp Chief before I went on to earn my fouled anchor.

Mike AWC (AW/CSAR/NAC)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had genuinely hoped to tune in here and "watch, look, listen and learn" like I taught all of my sailors.</div></div>So, what happened? It can't be that you are too good for your own advice to others, right?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead I get slapped around by some "poseur" whoever he is "...from Michigan..."</div></div>If you think that I 'slap[ped]' you 'around' you can't make a serious claim to having been around.

If you are a USN CPO you should know that respect is earned, not demanded of others based on something you say you did. And claiming to have been yelled at by your superiors advances neither your claims nor your argument.

Yes, this is the Internet, and that makes it a bit of a free-for-all, But this isn't your local 7-11, either, so throwing a temper tantrum in exchange for hoping to be placated isn't going to earn you either fear, or respect, or free stuff in the hope that you go away.

And BTW, Mike, why can't I play Sniper?
laugh.gif

Okay, now I see what Mike was talking about with the potential retardation, haha.

Penguin, welcome aboard!
smile.gif

You can play Sniper with me anytime.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes! I "pipe"; my teachers were all former Scots Guards, <span style="color: #CC0000">42nd Paras</span>. and Argyles and Sutherlands. Piping is military in <span style="color: #FF0000">H'/M's Royal Army</span>. </div></div>

Chief...are you sure ?

There's no 42nd Para in the <span style="color: #FF0000">British Army</span>[....

There's 42 Commando, Royal Marines (read as Four...Two, not forty second).....but they'd not thank you for saying they're part of the Parachute Regiment! They are part of the <span style="color: #FF0000">Royal Navy</span>!!

Must have been a heavy night in the mess when you posted???
wink.gif

The 4th Battalion is the reserve parachute battalion with headquarters in West Yorkshire and Companies in Glasgow, Liverpool, and London. 3rd Bat. was sent to Afghanistan for Operation Herrick. In the spring of '08 and fall of '10 the 4th Bat. reinforced them.

Four-two Commando Royal Marines is under the operational command of the Commander in Chief, Fleet. They are based near Plymouth and regularly deploy outside the UK for training. In '03 it performed the heli-borne assault of Al Faw. Until '09 it functioned as a divisonal reserve unit in Afghanistan beside 3rd Bat.

A word to the wise: 1) Never stand next to a 3rd Bat NCO when he's being pestered by a local while trying to have a quiet drink at a pub; and 2) Never try to engage a Royal Marine NCO one-on-one during a force-on-force exercise....just sayin'.
wink.gif

Long story short I don't give two S***ts or a damn who "Grahahm from Michigan is...". I don't care if you know him; and,I don't care if you don't know me. I offered an opinion and got slapped for it, Okay there AWC? No one gets to do that to me, no one.
Man wants to get started shooting, practical point of view is to get started as inexpensively as possible; that craft is not for everybody and there's no point in tying up vast amounts of money only to find that it is ultimately not for you, and that goes for you if you were kickin' doors or standin' EOW, or just a R/GC devotee.
Oh Yes, and whoever you are" from Michigan" it was 42nd Paras. "BlackWatch" I don;t care who ya' think ya' know who ya' think ya ***ow it was 42nd Paras. BlackWatch for D/M [DrumMajor School for civilians]. Yer'walkin' on thin ice here Mr. expert on everything from Michigan.
I'll do ya' all a favor I'm out of here;

You've all lost your talking privileges with me, next tinme pout in a chit.

Anchor'sAway [stowed for sea]/SemperFi
ChiefBull

It's "Anchors <span style="font-weight: bold">AWEIGH</span>"

If we lost our talking privileges we can be assured youre going to cast off to somewhere else, right?

Fair winds and following seas "Chief"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one gets to do that to me, no one.</div></div> I fear it may be too late to make that claim.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh Yes, and whoever you are" from Michigan" it was 42nd Paras. "BlackWatch" I don;t care who ya' think ya' know who ya' think ya ***ow it was 42nd Paras. BlackWatch for D/M [DrumMajor School for civilians]</div></div>Actually, it was Basra Boy that busted you on that one.

The Black Watch is either the 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland (3 SCOTS); or the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada which exists today only as a small Militia unit. If you would care to name names I have access to people in both units - and even a friend from Perth who now owns a pub.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yer'walkin' on thin ice here Mr. expert on everything from Michigan.</div></div>I never claimed to an expert on everything from Michigan. In fact, I probably don't know Michigan as well as I should. But I am starting to think that I might be able to help the OP better than you can.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll do ya' all a favor I'm out of here;</div></div>No: Please; don't go!
grin.gif
I have it on good authority that some important people are enjoying the 'Loads for .308 Winchester" Thread.

Hey I don't mind talkin'or mind scuttlebutt okay AWC?
Just don't slap me that's all, that's how it's done in the Mess isn't it?
I think we can "All" have a win win here,just don't slap me or ever question my veracity, [42ndParas. Argyles/Sutherlands I cn really eally introduce you to their folks].
I'm a Chief I do not lie, cheat, or steal.

all the best
slainte mhath
Anchor'sAway/SemperFi
ChiefBull

PS will be back later, have to take time to let this "Bravo"fire cool down a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've all lost your talking privileges with me, next tinme pout in a chit. Anchor'sAway [stowed for sea]/SemperFi
ChiefBull </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChiefBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey I don't mind talkin'or mind scuttlebutt okay AWC?
Just don't slap me that's all, that's how it's done in the Mess isn't it?
I think we can "All" have a win win here,just don't slap me or ever question my veracity, [42ndParas. Argyles/Sutherlands I cn really eally introduce you to their folks].
I'm a Chief I do not lie, cheat, or steal.
all the best
slainte mhath
Anchor'sAway/SemperFi
ChiefBull
PS will be back later, have to take time to let this "Bravo"fire cool down a bit.</div></div>OK, now this guy is starting to creep me out.
crazy.gif

I mean for hell's sake, if you're going to rant about some high speed low drag shit at least attempt to spell right. (perhaps that's why you were always getting screamed at?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No: Please; don't go!
grin.gif
I have it on good authority that some important people are enjoying the 'Loads for .308 Winchester" Thread. </div></div>

Wow. Seven of the last eight posts in that thread are his...

I think the word we are looking for is SIDETRACKED!

Ok, back to the OP question: 5r or custom barreled action.

5r all the way. You have a complete rifle from the get-go. Ready to throw ammo downrange with great success. Learn from that rifle. Learn what it takes to out shoot your own rifle. When you are consistenly out-shooting your equipment, you have a great platform to start from. True the action, new recoil lug, your own custom barrel to your specs, and you are off and running again.

Is what I did.

OP,

In your position, I'm not sure I'd buy either.

As it were, when I was getting back into rifle I had a chance to buy a second hand but brand new .300 WSM in an accurized 700 short action, with a new 26" SS barrel (I forget the barrel maker) and a steel +20moa base for $700.00. I did so, and it shoots effin great.

If it had been $1150, I'd have passed, and I admit I'd have missed out. But at $700 I was willing to take a chance, I had every reason to believe it would shoot better than me. It did.

As for a 20" barrel rifle, why? I don't understand this if you really want to get into long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for a 20" barrel rifle, why? I don't understand this if you really want to get into long range. </div></div>

Two things here. One, I'm all for a great deal but a magnum is not the way to start, especially one that requires handloads-meaning no match ammo-to get started in LR.

Second, a 20" barrel will get you to 1k with no problem under almost all circumstances with match 175g ammo.

Hey OP... My opinions on this were just my opinions. The others are right. Having owned a 5R I'm probably a little jaded. It was just... unremarkable. It was extremely accurate and in the long run that's really what it's all about. I just hated the X-Mark Trigger, Hated the HS Precision Stock and wound up rattle-canning it so it wasn't so damn shiney. The barrel profile was decent but I like a nice Heavy Barrel. The other action you were looking at just falls exactly into my personal idea of "Nice". Get the 5R for around $900.00, put some decent glass on it for around $400-$600 and spend lots of money on ammo and time learning the "ART" of precision shooting.

... And Man, that ChiefBull guy is really a character. Huh!
Gave me a good chuckle!
grin.gif

Yeah, I was going to go 20" because it would get me out to where I want to be. The longest range around here without having to spend my whole day driving is 300 yards so 20" is more than enough. Plus I really like how it's factory threaded because I like running supressors on my AR's and my pistols so I'd probably eventually buy a supressor for 30 caliber applications too.

I don't mean to derail my own thread but I was going through a box of parts at my shop today and I have a short action 700 receiver. I noticed that it has a 6 digit serial number and once in awhile I hear people bringing that up. Is there any real significance to this? Were they machined straighter and truer than newer ones? Should I just barrel this to a 308? I also have a random long action receiver laying around but that one is a little rough.

Certain 6 digit serial numbered SA receivers will fall in the range of those used to make the first USMC M40's. They're highly sought after by people building M40 clones. Someone who knows the range may chime in here. You can also do a search and find a lot of info here on the Hide.

I have a 5r in 308 i love it. I do plan on changing a few things in the future but for now its great. A lot of people complain about the xmark trigger but mine actually feels pretty good. Just buy the 5r and upgrade later as you see fit.