• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Jute for ghillie

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm looking for some opinions...

Natural Jute or Synthetic?

I know the Natural is a more stiff material and tends to lay straighter where the synthetic is less stiff and tends to curl a bit, but can you really tell the difference in the field?

Anyway, please toss out some reasons for your preference. I'm looking at ordering some jute today and I'm greatly undecided on ordering natural or synthetic... the weight savings is attractive with synthetic, also nice that it won't water-log and that it's fire resistant.

Re: Jute for ghillie

huge difference between synthetic and natural. most important part of making a ghillie blend in is the mud bath. this is what helps the suit acquire natural coloring from surrounding soil. mud bath also conditions the jute and gives it a natural appearance. synthetic jute won't absorb soil tones or "rat up" like natural will.....

fire retardant and water repellant can be applied after the jute has been conditioned. if you want to do it right, natural is always the way to go.....

synthetics can be mixed with natural textures for some effects such as grass patches, but a complete suit made out of that crap is a bad idea for anyone looking to use it for tactical applications....

The last Ghillie that I built was with synthetic jute bought from ghilliesuits.com. I am nothing but happy with it. It's been through a mud bath and conditioned it just fine. It friz's just like burlap. Aside from the reduced weight, lack of fiber shedding, being fire retardant, and way easier to work with... I don't notice anything other than a benefit from using synthetics.

I've built ghillies from nothing but burlap before. They are great. I just don't really see that much of a long term benefit of natural burlap jute. They require a lot more maintenance.

Of course, it's not 100% made from synthetic. Only the jute is synthetic. I use hemp rope that's stripped down in there also. Looks just like dried grass. There's also a green died hemp rope out there.. anyhow, before I get off topic..

With synthetics you need to make sure you get something that is porous and will soak up the natural coloring of the soil/dirt/mud.. whatever you want to call it.

For the most part, I think you have good points. One issue and probably the biggest issue I have with synthetics is the unnatural appearance it has when in the sunlight. This may not be the case for all, but I have found it gives off a slight shine in the light. The synthetics I used were from ghilliesuits.com as well.

I agree it is less messy to work with than natural. Two more issues with synthetics that I have found are 1) the coloring is too bold to appear natural in many cases and 2) the tensile strength on most synthetics isn't very good.

one more thing....

Simply saying one is better than the other is really based on personal opinion and needs.

I have some natural jute that is crap as well. The best natural jute and textures available is through Tactical Concealment. I have some natural jute from ghilliesuits.com and it is half the thickness of Tac Con's jute and not nearly as strong.

Tac Con's "stalkgrass" is some of the coolest natural garnish I have seen and is not only strong, but very light and water resistant. It doesn't work for every AO though.

Good points 1505scouts, definately gave some strong arguments for going with synthetics.........

Just thought about it, but awhile back, I recieved some samples of the new FR(fire retardant) fibers produced by Propel LLC. The fibers are synthetic and are supposedly being contracted for the issue kits distributed at the Ft. Benning sniper school. I'm not sure if they are in the kits currently, but if not, they should be available shortly.....

If you can get ahold of any, it looks pretty good and is worth trying......

ROFL....

My ghillie was mostly old sandbags and crap we found around base. It's all dredded up and perpetually has vegetation trapped into it. It's a bitch to get cleaned enough to pass a customs inspection (hide em real well).

It works damn well though.

Art of Camouflage 1 and 2 is great movies if you dont know much about how to make ghille suit etc. At least i found it very helpful. But i was also a total newbie at that point.
Both of them got some positive and negative. But someone is allergic against jute, and then is synthetic the way too go. But as i have heared it, the ghille suit is your plattform for natural materials from the field, and that is the best to put on. Just remember to change materials before it dies and get brown and unnatural.
And jute shall be the best to hide the human shape, maybe because it more stiff as someone said earlier. A mix of both materials can also be good i guesss?

Reactions: RackSqueezeBang

Yes, a Ghillie is a platform to hold natural veg. If you tried to stalk with just jute, you would get busted quick.

There ain't no blond Wookies in the bush.

If you are allergic to jute, you got problems.