• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

K-98 ex sniper sporter rescue before and after

ScharfshutzeK98

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys,

I picked this rifle up in 2014 as a byf 44 K-98k sporter off of Gunbroker in a cut down non matching walnut stock. It still had the holes and silver solder from the original high turret mounts and was an "h" block rifle which had a known production run of high turret snipers.

The next couple years were filled with parts accumulation, I used this picture as inspiration for what the rifle would look like once restored.

Well it's been quite a while but I have the rifle back after my builder worked his magic with it. I was able to acquire a nice correct white glue laminate stock for this project. It took over a year of buying every white glue laminate hand guard I could find to try and match it, but I think this one is pretty close. I also (with help) tracked down the correct "byf" unserialed WaA135 trigger guard, barrel bands, band spring etc. I was also able to find a correct "gqm 44" butplate, WaA135 follower, original cleaning rod, action screws, capture screws, and sight hood. All I need to do now is find an "h" block WaA135 bolt that matches itself, as this one is an earlier WaA655 matching (to itself). Please let me know if any of you happen to have one for sale.

I ended up purchasing 2 4x90 Ajack scopes from Europe and having them used to create the scope I was wanting for the build. I was set on using a longer sunshade for the front bell. The scope had the claw mounts removed, a dent repaired in the front bell, and a complete cleaning and rebuild. Then it was reassembled and blued before soldering it in the set of Robert S. reproduction High Turret rings.

I will hopefully get a chance to get some better pics and range results soon.

Holy Schnikes.... that is gorgeous! What a beautiful build!

I used to have a Kahles scope that I think was WW2 sniper. I think I sold it on eBay in a moment of stupidity. I was going to give it to Doc here on the 'Hide, but never could find it.

That is a beautiful restoration to a really nice standard! Thanks for posting and for the inspiration.

I still need to get a good KAR98K... just because I don't have a standard German infantry rifle.. but have about everything else from that era.

Awesomeness!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I love this section on SH....

Holy Schnikes.... that is gorgeous! What a beautiful build!

I used to have a Kahles scope that I think was WW2 sniper. I think I sold it on eBay in a moment of stupidity. I was going to give it to Doc here on the 'Hide, but never could find it.

That is a beautiful restoration to a really nice standard! Thanks for posting and for the inspiration.

I still need to get a good KAR98K... just because I don't have a standard German infantry rifle.. but have about everything else from that era.

Awesomeness!

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I love this section on SH....

Thanks!!! I come across K-98k's for sale all of the time. What type/price range are you looking for? Russian/Yugo capture, Vet bring back, bolt mismatch? Let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you.

-Brian

What a beautiful build! It's nice to see one get reverted back to military configuration. I still run into people looking to drill/tap/sporterise these old military rifles

ScharfshutzeK98,

That is one incredible build! I've been impressed with the K-98 as a sniper rifle ever since I got to understand them. A great rifle enhanced by exceptional ammunition. In a weird twist the ammunition that was supposed to win the war completely in machine guns actually worked better in their sniper rifles. It did work well in the machine guns, though.

Again, awesome job!

Very nice. Its nice to see someone take the TLC necessary to rebuild such a piece of history.

Hi Scharf...

I'd ideally like a nice GI bringback. Not perfect but a nice honest gun that will shoot nice and has not been butchered or import-stamped.

Thanks for asking. If you come across something one of these days... let me know. If the timing is right, fantastic.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a BYF 45 K98 that was given to me for helping with an estate settlement. It was a bring back however it was heavily sporterized, barrel cut back, Williams sights added, completely different stock,..

The Mosin ugly stick I got along with the Mauser has possibilities though.

That's really good lookin resto OP.