• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K&M Neck Turner Help

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
I am having an issue with my neck turner. The outside turns fine and it took me quite a few rounds before I noticed the inside of the neck was being scarred.
I this normal? I assume not and are these cases no trash? See the picture.

What is causing this? I am using a drill with the case holder attachment and the case mouth fits onto the spindle without any force.

Do you typically hand turn these or do you still use the drill? I ask because there is some wobble inherent in a drill and was wondering if this wobble is the cause.

Attachments

• K&M Case Damage.JPG
    K&M Case Damage.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Check for burrs on the mandrel and that it is the right size. The turning mandrel should be slightly less in diameter than the expander mandrel. Lubricate the inside of the neck as well as the mandrel. Also are the inside of the necks clean and free of grit.

No burrs that I can see and he cases were fresh out of stainless tumbling media and dried. They look free of debris.

What do you typically use for lube? Case lube, dry lube etc.

K&M makes two mandrels for their turners. One is smooth steel that does not cut, it just centers/guides the cutter using the case neck. The other is a carbide cutter that inside reams at the same time the cutter outside turns the necks. Which are you using?

The expandiron is needed to get the proper dimension on the neck for either mandrel.

If you have the carbide cutter you may be going too fast with the turning operation. I generally run mine through twice when I have it in the drill chuck. I run the drill at the second fastest speed and I get really clean cuts.

Ditto Flashhole; go slow. I use the carbide mandrels to eliminate possible donuts. I use Imperial on the pilot.

I lubricate the inside of the necks prior to using the expander mandrel which generally leave enough inside the neck for turning. If not, I place a little dab of Redding sizing wax wax on the mandrel. I use carbide turning mandrels and you need to keep them lubricated and as posted above use a slower speed on the drill. I use a power screw driver which is easier to control the RPM. BTW I use a 21st Century and Sinclair NT 4000 for turning but the principles are the same. Also trim all cases to the same length and debur and chamfer before turning.

Last edited:
Free of debris but very dry and clean. Lube inside with Imperial. We lube the neck with Hornady lube and the finish comes out super clean.[stops any chatter on the cutter]. Chuck them back into SSM before resizing. We anneal before using the K&M. Great piece of kit.You can skim the necks to clean them up or set it for a predetermined neck diameter. Remember if it is not cutting it does not mean it is not doing the job because neck thickness is variable especially if you are only skimming. Done 000"s of 223 with 13 size necks for 53gr Sierra.It is a tack driver afterwards.Great company and no question is any bother for them to answer.

The lack of lube on the turning mandrel has caused brass to embed on it, thus scratching the inside of cases, clean your turning mandrel with a strong copper bore cleaner and polish it with some 0000 steel wool, I use Imperial Sizing Wax

Ok let me try the lube and cleaning.

Are the cases that are marred not usable now? That would cause the bullet to be hung up and release funny correct?

K&M Neck Turner Help

I only use the dry Imperial lubricant with the media, ceramic balls. Dip each neck in the media prior to turning. No galling on the inside of the neck. I tried the wax lubricant first but found it more messy than the dry. I don't think I would use the cases because you will not be able to get a good seal on the bullet.

Last edited:
ream the inside of the neck and drop a tighter bushing in the sizing die on those cases or simply use them for practice.
cheers.

I started using this method when I was benchrest shooting. Get a standard carbide mandrel and keep it lubricated. Then loose the case holder and use a standard 1/2" keyless chuck to hold your brass. For my 300 win mag I use the 5/8" drill the same way. Just it has a cord. It still works.

Good luck.