• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses k&m precision match prep class aar

inalabama

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
birmingham, al
i am posting this to assist those trying to decide where to go for training. i did this class for the second time (once last year also) last friday. here are my impressions:
1. they treat their students with respect, consideration and a sincere interest in working their hardest to assist you in achieving your goals (be it barricades, slings, dot drills, crazy positions off of side ways boulders, movers, etc.).
2. their knowledge level in remarkable.
3. their ability to analyze your skill package and ability to provide guidance and corrective mentoring was first rate.
4. the class curriculum was almost entirely out on the range and maximized shooting time.
5. there was a bit of classroom time primarily devoted to movers which got me on the steel right away.
6. the curriculum was jam packed with numerous varied different match oriented skill sets and challenges, their obvious plan was to cover as much as possible starting as early as possible until we were out of gas due to the lovely sunny florida weather.
7. we verifyied data out to 940 yards, did various dot drills at 100, 200 & 300 (to take training regimens home to practice), received individual prone and varied other positional critiques and mentoring, worked through the shoot house, did the rock pile, engaged mover targets and both 300 and 500 yards, got to shoot bad guys in the back seat of a car off the boulder from hell, worked through various barricade stages and repeated many times how to build your position, move and rebuild, etc...plus hitting other areas of the facility
8. the facility is a shooters playground, the best I have seen (though I have not ventured west of the mississippi).
9. the student faculty ratio was excellent, three instructors and 9 students.
10. i got more out of it this year than last year because i actually practiced since the last class.
end of story, i will be back for more, (with all due respect to all the great trainers and facilities out there to choose from), in my opinion this is the best place to invest your training dollars.

alabam, you beat me too it. That, and im not good with original thought. I also attended the class at K&M last friday, and could not be happier with what all i got out of the training. I can echo everything alabam said, and also add that as a newb to prs style shooting, i really, really needed someone to examine what i was doing and make sure i was on the right track. No, im not all of sudden in the top tier of prs shooters, but i absolutely know what i need to do to be able to compete and shoot to my ability. Also, as good as it is to know what you are doing wrong, i really needed the confidence that comes with knowing that i actually was doing some things right.

There are alot of good shooters in the world, but there probably arent near as many, probably only a handful actually, that are the caliber of TEACHERS that are at K&M. It is so unbelievably helpful to have someone that can not only diagnose good and bad in your positions, but also be able to look at your target and work with you one on one to understand why some shots are out of the group. This is the foundation to any kind of positional shooting, because you have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the reason the bullet missed your target down range is because of your wind or elevation call, and not because you yanked a shot.

I definitely appreciate the respect and the patience Bryan and Shannon and Kurt showed me. All are accomplished shooters, another a successful businessmen, and two are decorated soldiers. But you would have never known it from the way they treated a old dirt farmer from arkansas.

The biggest push i would give anybody that has never had training, even if you already compete, is that K&M's training will cut months and maybe years off of your learning curve. Yes, i have always learned alot by just showing up and shooting pistol matches. But prs style shooting is much more complex to me and i believe you can save yourself time, frustration, match fees, wasted training ammo, and so much more by going to K&M and getting the training that they provide.

Bryan, Shannon, Kurt, thank you so much for your friendliness, expertise, and help. I will be back as soon as possible to shoot a match or train some more.

I shot in the Panhandle Shooters Challenge. I also attended the train up the day before.

It was HOT on the Friday of the train up. K&M was very attentive to the heat and did a great job of having plenty of ice cold bottled water on hand and periodically bring us into the air conditioned classroom to cool off. You can not hydrate or eat enough during these conditions to keep your body fueled.

We had 9 students and 3 instructors in the train up. The ratio was great as we broke up into 3 groups of 3. Which worked out great as I brought my son and a good friend.

We worked on getting a solid zero, K&M's method for this was very revealing of my tendencies.

We then spent the day 0800-1700 working on different shooting problems. The rock pile, the rock, the shoothouse, the barricade and steel poppers, Movers at 300 and 500, the tower.

Some points that I took away was being as accurate as possible when gathering actual dope. I was more than content(DUMB) with just getting hits on the steel. However, Kurt pointed out that just a hit wasn't good enough it had to be centered up where you wanted it.

For me, Shannon pointed out that I was not readjusting my Natural point of aim when I would build a position then move the rifle. It really clicked for me.

At lunch K&M did a class in the classroom on Movers. A lot of the students had not shot movers ever before. With the classroom followed up by field instruction and then an oppurtunity to engage the movers everyone was getting consistent hits.

The end of the day at approximately 1700 the heat was starting to take it's toll and we called it a day. However, A few of us asked if we could shoot in the 270 pit. Shannon said no problem and called the range cold and allowed us to experience the targets and barricades at the 270. We shot for about a half hour then called it. Shannon could have said no the day was over, but he let us get our fill.

The Match was awesome 12 stages at varying distances and only a few prone shots. Shannon opened the match by urging the experienced shooters take the new shooters under their wing. We, new shooters, introduced ourselves and then we broke out to start the match. I saw and spoke with two people I had shot with Before, Bryan Richmand and Chad Peck. It's always nice to talk to old friends and meet new ones.

The match was a real good experience and a taste of what the PRS matches are like.

The set up was well organized and the staff on hand made everything run smoothly.

I did not place very well. However all it did was wet the appetite for more. It's funny we did some shots the day before that I had solid hits on but on the match day I blew them. I guess that is the nature of competition.

I did take notice to the amount of 6mm rifles. XC and Creedmoor. We spoke about it and I do think that the .308 in match conditions is past it's prime so to speak. I will do some research on what barrel combo for the 6mm creedmoor and will consider rebarreling our .308's...

My son's birthday was the match day. I brought a cake and affter the awards Shannon had everyone sind happy Birthday then anyone who wanted cake got a piece. It was extremely touching for me as a father to see all of these hard men celebrate with my son and I.

We had a great time. The 10 hour drive gave the three of us time to reflect. We all learned a ton.

Thank you K&M,

Jack