• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 for hunting...

Watch_this71

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Columbus, Ga
Mods, if this isnt the right spot for this then please move this thread...

I'm trying to build my next "pig slayer" gun and I decided to just buy a K98 that is just an ordinary "non collector" type rifle. I was thinking that I'd get modern mounts and just have my gunsmith tap and thread for the mounts and put a vortex scope on it. I'm not wanting sub MOA performance, but if anyone's done this sort of thing, I'd appreciate some insight on how to PROPERLY do it.

Thanks

In the long run it will be better to just get a 700 and bolt a scope on it. Less money, more accuracy! Good luck with your project.

dude, I've got a Y48 Mauser that I use as my pig/everything gun. I use Leupold quick detach 1 inch rings. if you want to go high-speed, midwayusa has a rail mount that you can use. I personally don't like the rail (I have that too) because it gets caught on everything, but if that's your thing, then go for it. Just make sure you buy low rings if you use the rail, because otherwise your scope is going to be WAY to damn high.

oh, forgot to mention, I sent my Mauser off to my buddy so he could use it for gunsmithing school (And build me the ultimate Alaskan Scout Rifle), but when it comes back sometime next year, this is what I'm throwing on it-

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

it had a crappy fixed six on it before, but with the free work my buddy's doing to a rifle I got for free anyways, I figure I might as well throw some decent glass on it.