• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 Info Request

AMG04

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
First and foremost, this is NOT a sales ad. I am however trying to help a good friend value the rifle and learn a little about the history.

This is a K98 brought back by his father's uncle during WWII.

All serial numbers are matching and it appears to have the original issued sling and bayonet. I don't know much about historic rifles, so my first thought was to ask this crowd.

Pictures:
IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6565.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Priceless damn near.
Quick Google garnered 2500-3000 for value.
I don't know anything about Mausers and their value. I do know there are some knowledgeable people on here that will hopefully chime in soon.

To add.. I wish I had that in my collection. It's absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: Modoc and msgriff
A K98 with matching numbers and bayonet can be worth a considerable amount of money. For the Mauser you described, a SWAG would be that it's worth in the $2,600 to $3,200 range.

Check out this website and see if you can find one in the same condition for reference. https://simpsonltd.com/

Reactions: camocorvette
Tell him to question family and write down as much info as possible with regard to his uncle that brought it home and how they came into possession of it. Also, once he has done that convince him to hold on to it as the value is priceless and will only keep growing. point him toward the Forgotten Weapons channel on YouTube for K98 history.

Last edited:
It looks to be a good, clean example. I know of a similar rifle with matching numbers that sold for £2000 in the UK. I’d say $2500 is a decent ballpark figure and a realistic selling price for the rifle. The bayonet and the sling definitely nudge it closer to $3000.

Personally, I’d tell your friend to keep it. The value of that rifle is only going in one direction.

He plans to keep it and see if his son gets interested in firearms, right now it's not his thing.

If he ever decided to sell, I'm first in line and have 3 sons to pass it to. The story won't be lost and he knows it would be appreciated in my small collection.