• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 rebuild

dannyryan007

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Washington State, USA
I have a NON-SNIPER Mauser K98 that i think i want to rebuild... not to original specs. I bought it when i was 15 and it wasn't in the best shape when i got it and i took ok-ish care of it. it still shoots great, but little pieces are missing and wooden parts are being held togther with screws and shims. Not ideal.

I am thinking to rechamber it... i'm not sure what caliber yet, and a new stock, etc. Idk. Any thoughts?

i realize in advance that in the "Vintage Snipers" section, this might sound like blasphemy, but... it's just an idea. i haven't commited to it yet.

Re: K98 rebuild

What exactly is it? Got any pics?
smile.gif

Your only reasonable option for rechambering is the 8mm-06 which is a great caliber however if the barrel is good enough to use for that then it is good enough to keep in 8x57.
Stocks are easy to come by and small parts are out there without a great deal of effort to obtain. Pictures would be helpful to be able to give better advice.

joop, it's a K98 mauser no pics right now... maybe tonight? but, yeah it has some sort of bird on the back of the action. The only other marking i can recal as of now is preduzece 44 which according to the webs means it's a Yugoslavian mauser. It's chambered in 8mm mauser currently. but, it looks like any other military style k98. aside from my super awesome hardware store mods.

beef, i agree that the 8mm mauser round is AWESOME. but i was thinking about possibly even scrapping the barrel... idk. i feel like i would regret it if i did, but i am looking at using the bolt and action for something else, i had in mind possibly a 300WSM or some other short magnum. it would be unique and cool, and it would have one of the best designed actions ever put on a rifle. IMHO

AGAIN, THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT. SEEKING ADVICE AND IDEAS.

Sounds like a reworked German K98, unless it's one of the other, shorter, Yugo actions. Not a ton of collector value (although, the Yugos have picked up in the last couple years). I would agree that a rechamber job would be limiting, but rebarreling would give you plenty of options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dannyryan007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah. If it is a reworks german, it's pre-nazi. I can't find any markings indicative of the third reich/re-machining. </div></div>
Not necessarily. The Yugos were usually meticulous about removing any and all German markings. On occasion, you'll find a proof here and there and there are a few that are found with codes (or "ghosts" of them) on the receiver, but most have been scrubbed clean.

You might want to keep it 8x57, for flawless feeding out of the magazine. The 8x57 is the ballistic equivalent of the 30-06.

I have my k98 barreled in 260 and it feeds perfect no issues

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to keep it 8x57, for flawless feeding out of the magazine. The 8x57 is the ballistic equivalent of the 30-06. </div></div>

NOT!

If you want to turn it into a precision rifle you will need to look at the lock time a bit to try and improve it (speed it up). That or you will need to be possessed of VERY good form and technique. They do make great walking around deer guns though. 30-06 is a great choice for a re-tube. I have one in the works now.

Cheers,

Doc

I am rebarreling to an 8x57js. It will be perfect for this action. Just the way Peter Paul Mauser planned it. The cartridge feeds through the action like a hot knife through warm butter.

If I wanted another caliber, I would neck down, or neck up, this Mauser case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am rebarreling to an 8x57js. It will be perfect for this action. Just the way Peter Paul Mauser planned it. The cartridge feeds through the action like a hot knife through warm butter.

If I wanted another caliber, I would neck down, or neck up, this Mauser case. </div></div>

I believe Mauser actually designed it for 7x57. It was 8x57 because Germany hold several boatloads of 8mm bullets and didn't want to change to a 7mm, or so I've been told.

Anyway, 8x57 or 7x57 are both quite good rounds. I'd lean toward the 7x57 due to wider selection of bullets. Of course, it would be hard to argue with any of the '06 rounds too. Brownells and Midway sell a lot of barrels that are easy to screw on and finish chamber.

Whether it is 7x57 or 8x57 is of no matter, as the case tapers are nearly identical, unlike the tapers of the '06 or '08 family of cases.

If I wanted a 7mm, I would use the 8 case, for more powder capacity.

Redoing it to a .300wsm etc...would take some work. Bolt face has to be opened up which is the easy part but you would have to rework the receiver opening, feed ramp and most likely get or modify the magazine box assy. All of this to give you proper feeding.

8mm-06 is the easiest for rechambering if the bore is in great shape or just leave it as a 8x57mm.

If the barrel is junk?! Rebarrel it to .308win. etc.....You won't have to change anything else. You could do a .260rem., 6.5x55, 7mm-08 etc...you could do it in .30-06 but the K98 magazine box to me is on the short side for a .30-06.

Right now I'm rebuilding one and it's going to be chambered in 7.5x57mm which is a 8x57mm case necked down to .30cal.

My first barrel I made and chambered in this caliber is on my shop test rifle. First loads with 155 Lapua's they are going 2870fps avg. out of a 23" finish length barrel. Accuracy of the gun is 1/3 moa or better.

If it's not a collector gun go for it. Like it was said earlier there are stocks and small parts available as well as reproduction scope mounts etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

my mauser is a 260rem with tubbs speedlock kit i have no idea what problem with lock time you guys are referring too cuz that 260 will keep up with just about any 260 you put next to it, its a absolute hammer. it feeds perfectly from the box mag and i have NO issues with it

The blockheads had a whole range of cartridges based on the 57mm case.

6.5,7,8,9,9.3 and 9.5mm. Shooting long for caliber bullets at moderate velocities, they are wonderful hunting rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dannyryan007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a little more looking around, i am almost sure i want to do the 7mm-08.
Any thoughts on a 16- 20 inch "scout rifle" in a 7mm-08? </div></div>

Love the idea - I'm in the process of doing a scout build like that in 7x57