• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 Sniper build begins

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Will not be authentic, don't care and don't plan to pass it as such.

But, saw this baby at Big5 and decided to go ahead with it, it's a DOU - think it's Czech made. Read they shoot well.

It is a Russian Capture/Import - if legal I will have that part removed.

Going to get some Acetone going on the stock, I can see a beautiful stock underneath the crappy russian overspray.

k98A.jpg

k98B.jpg

Re: K98 Sniper build begins

So now I'm finding out this K98K may have better value as a common rifle, maybe maybe not.

They are not uncommon but I got matching stock and receiver (Not bolt unfortunately)...

To get matching numbers on a russian capture?? Whoa...

The cleaning begins....

Heres mine.. Its not correct but its a nice clone.
Leupold mounts, extra high rings and a nice old weaver K4
Sorry for the crappy cell pic
k98-1.jpg

Your stock does not have the hole in it - had no idea what it was for until I watched a vid on tearing down the firing pin, which is almost exactly the same as doing a 1903..

the hole works good for inserting the pin so you can push down!
smile.gif

Got her home, stripped down, used acetone on the stock to remove the russian spray paint...there's a pretty stock under there that was heavily oiled in it's life...

I have to acetone some of hte metal parts - not sure I'm ready to tackle that just yet..

Got all replacement parts/sling ordered today, $40 - sweet!

K98Stock.jpg

K98cleaning.jpg

Yeah, the K98 is tough to find in real good shape. I keep looking though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to enjoy watching the build progress.....good luck with it! </div></div>

BIG +1!! Anxious to see your progress along the way as well as the "final product" you end up with. This should be an excellent thread indeed!!

Couple of pics of the stock cleaned up. I may try that steam method or take it to my smith and see what he can do.

stock1.jpg

stock2.jpg

stock3.jpg

stock4.jpg

mine is a Yugo capture. Still 8mm but with a like new barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple of pics of the stock cleaned up. I may try that steam method or take it to my smith and see what he can do.</div></div>

Go with steam. If you do some research, you'll find all sorts of tips and tricks. I've used both a steamer and wet washcloths with an iron. It'll help get some of the dings up. Heat in the car works, too. Some guys put the stocks into black contractor's bags on top of cat litter and balance it across their dashboards. Others rig up "ovens" using heat lamps and metal trashcans.

Here is my best k98 stock. I'm in the process of bringing it back to life. Walnut, Perfect markings, and a nice tiger stripe grain.
HPIM0728.jpg

Great crisp marking on that one - not been messed with....hang on to it, they're very hard to find like that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man you guys are really making me want to do this. </div></div>

Go on....you know you want to.....

Bisley250611013.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man you guys are really making me want to do this. </div></div>

Go on....you know you want to.....

Bisley250611013.jpg
</div></div>

The pics you posted of this previously got me thinking, and now this guy is just hammering it home
laugh.gif

CW - as my local dealer says when ever he sees my 98k...

"Ahhh, German sniper rifles......every home should have one!"

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jake7.62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my best k98 stock. I'm in the process of bringing it back to life. Walnut, Perfect markings, and a nice tiger stripe grain.
HPIM0728.jpg
</div></div>

How do you get the silver circular thing out?

The bolt disc is basically two discs connected by a steel tube that is hammered over at the ends to hold in place. I don't think that there is an easy "non-destructive" way of removing it (but I'm not a gunsmith). At the least you'd need to replace the connecting tube.

Not sure if they were tacked or soldered originally but I know my smith had to work round them on a laminate stock I had restored last year.

If you get really stuck and bugger it up you could call the guys at Miltech, they sent me a set of new discs and a tube (needed to be cut to size and fitted) with the WaA655 stock I got from them.

Another point to note is that there are two disc sizes (that I know of) and the tube may also be different diameters so make sure you measure them.

This may be a bit off topic, but I once read the story of a German sniper and he told how so many sniper rifles were destroyed due to not wanting one near by if captured by the Russians. All evidence was destroyed, including rifles scopes and medels.

You're referring to the memoirs of Sepp Allerberger.

I think the same was true of both sides on the Eastern Front....probably also in the West and Pacific too!

That is certainly why genuine German sniper Award Patches are so hard to find....no-one wanted to be found wearing a badge awarded for killing enemy combatants when they were captured!

Artic... Its pressed in on either side

Thanks guys - I think I will get in with an xacto knife and magnifying glass and clean the last bits off from the Russian lacquer.

As for steaming out dents and stuff, see those scratches on mine, like a tiger claw?

Would I want to remove that kindof history and personality?

I think there is more oil that can be removed from mine, it's a two tone walnut and I'd love to get it a bit shinier....without sanding..

Cool project.

Just an FYI and you're already well past this point.... I have found Murphy's Saddle soap to work really well for cleaning down wood stocks .. a few applications with a hard brush and 50+ years of dirt soon goes away..

Linseed oil after that.. once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then finally once a year..

Hope some of this helps..

RJ

Boiled or just plain Linseed?

I had some clear tung oil I used just because I used Acetone to strip off the Russian Lacquer that they put on...I figure it stripped some oil down.

Still undecided if this will be the sniper rendition or if I'll buy another!!

Boiled is what I use... from Home Depot (if I remember correctly).... as used on your Cricket Bat.

RJ

aKa "English"

That hardens up over time though, my smith recommended Tung oil (I believe that is the oil - will double check)...

I use em both, but the boiled linseed is awesome for the inside of bamboo
smile.gif

How do these things shoot?

I'd love to have a nice mauser or enfield shooter but not sure what kind of real world accuracy the surplus guns are shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these things shoot?

I'd love to have a nice mauser or enfield shooter but not sure what kind of real world accuracy the surplus guns are shooting. </div></div>

If you don't make a national match out of it you will probably still be able to do 1MOA.
Carlos Hathcock or maybe the Phantom of Phu Bai mentioned a guy shooting the V ring from sun up to sun dodwn on a bet, hit it at 1k every time with a 1903.

This came out of thebear pit - find out for yourself
smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQRpAxGVg4M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQRpAxGVg4M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these things shoot?

I'd love to have a nice mauser or enfield shooter but not sure what kind of real world accuracy the surplus guns are shooting. </div></div>

Not the Mauser, but here's a test target at 100m I did with my Enfield - not intended as an effort to shoot groups but an indication of capabilities - the first three shots are the clover leaf then I tested the turrets (they are 1MOA clicks on the No32 Mk3 scope)...

Accurate?

These old girls are certainly capable of comprehensivley spoiling someone's day if used as originally intended even after 70 years!

And, these days, they are a very rewarding rifles to shoot for those of us not running around the hedgerows of Europe or Asia picking off enemy combatants!

For me the biggest issue with these rifles is the x4 scopes....my eyes find a 1/2" square at 100m a bit of a challenge these days!

Ammo was off-the-shelf UK-made HPS 174grSMK .303 "house load".

I'm thinking about doing an A/B range test/report between the Mauser and Enfield.....should probably include either a dot drill (with my eyes and a x3.5 or x4???) or 10 shot groups if/when I get round to it

No4THPS174Gr100m190411.jpg

Well I just spent the better part of an hour speaking with Ed at MilitechArms - invited him here as well.

I think I am going to move forward with having him build me a rifle, keep my current K98 as a vintage rifle to just shoot and that'll be that....

Don't know about others.. but I put up a B27 at my club range and plonked myself down for prone unsupported at the 300yrd line and shot a 14" "pattern", I wouldn't call it a group, with my 1941 Enfield No4 a couple of years ago. This rifle only has 300/600yrd battle sights but still basically does what it it was designed to do 65+ yrs later...

RJ

I did one of these several years ago using a Czech post war unissued K98k for a base. I've been really happy with it, and it's been hunted with several times.
DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00010-1.jpg

DSC00009-1.jpg

2009Muledeer.jpg

Accuracy is nothing stellar, but it ain't too shabby:
DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

I have another czech post war that I'm thinking of doing a High Turret repro with, but that project is stalled right now.

Saleen

Nice rifle saleen - I like it!

That's pretty much how my next one should look when it's done.

Are you looking at the high turrets because of any problems with the LSR?

How do you get on with the LSR mount? Is it stable or does it get loose easily?

I did have issues with the dovetail on the base be size it is bolted to the base with cheap screws instead of being machined from the base as the originals were. At about 100 rounds accuracy went away, and the problem was diagnosed as the loose dovetail. I was told that silver soldering was an option, but I went with red loctite first and it seems to be holding fine. I have about 60 rounds through the rifle since then.

I'm looking at the high turret build just because I want one. I'm happy with the LET (especially after installing a Timminy trigger).

Saleen

That is a gorgeous build!!

I talked with Ed at Militech yesterday and he said the Germans did have to solder some of the clamps on.

I think I'm going with the Short myself.

Where did you find your scope at?

Careful - that walnut stock is worth some serious coin to the collectors. Laminates are easy to come by; early walnuts, not so easy.

It is interesting to note that many of the walnut K98s sport AMERICAN walnut stocks as we exported our wood to Germany before the Great War kicked off...

i've got a collector grade k98 that has like 10 rounds on it. I would like to some how put serious glass on it, have you guys found mounts anywhere that would take 30mm or larger tubes? I would like to really ring this thing out and see what she can do?

mike

mike - I've often wondered....how do you know how many rounds a 70+ year old battle rifle has had through it? Or is it a new barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've got a collector grade k98 that has like 10 rounds on it. I would like to some how put serious glass on it, have you guys found mounts anywhere that would take 30mm or larger tubes? I would like to really ring this thing out and see what she can do?

mike </div></div>

If you have an all serial number matching byf and you put non-issued glass on it - it's not a collectors grade, it's a rifle.

You can get a new used Russian capture (German rifle captured by Russia and abused a bit) and do that for $379 at Big-5...don't waste a BYF doing that!

In fact send me pics, I will work a deal out with you!

FYI there's only one K98 left in the county, although I doubt it's a K98 from the lady's description - Big5 in Port Orchard claims they have one...

Someone bought the other K98 about an hour after I did..

Keep in mind that front sight hood is not properly affixed
Very pleased with the "Russian Capture Kit".

k98_1.jpg

k98_2.jpg

Sorry if I spoke out of turn, I bought the rifle a few years ago, it has all matching numbers and had never been fired, it was pristine. It's a Mitchell Mauser, and the box says collectors grade on it so I thought it was. My area of expertise is certainly not old rifles. So what does the rifle need to be to be collectors grade.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I spoke out of turn, I bought the rifle a few years ago, it has all matching numbers and had never been fired, it was pristine. It's a Mitchell Mauser, and the box says collectors grade on it so I thought it was. My area of expertise is certainly not old rifles. So what does the rifle need to be to be collectors grade.

Mike
</div></div>

No worries - but I did a lot of internet research to hear about this company. It "appears" that they take Russian Capture rifles and either rework the stock or put a new laminate on it, grind down serial numbers etc, and then restamp them.

I have heard that they are phenomenal shooters, just not truthfully collectors.

Sniper variant or just the K98? Pics!!
smile.gif

Well if it's reworked they fooled me, everything on it looked new. The bolt face, the bore, the stock, there are no dents or dings in it anywhere. What is a byf? I post some photos here in the next couple days.

Mike