• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 sniper build

Junkie4gun

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2021
Nebraska
New to the forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a ce44 JP sons Mauser and a Factory 44 Yugo capture rifle. Not sure witch one to convert to a sniper for cmp vintage matches. Both bores are perfect and the ec44 is not fully matching and the Yugo is matching mostly besides the bolt. Question is which mount and scope to use? I leading towards the zf39 with side short mount on the ce44. Thank you

Here's a helpful site for you if you haven't seen it: https://www.wwiigermansniper.com

I have a Yugo-refurbed Kar98k as well and I've considered putting a Long Side Rail on it with a Russian PE/PEM scope. But it'd really depend on which rifle you want to use. For your Yugo-refurb, any and all will be fine since the date codes will probably have been scrubbed off. Copy a particular rifle from a movie or just pick the mount/scope combo you like best.

Matching or not, I'd suggest using a mount/optic on your CE/44 that'd fit your rifle's manufacturer and date. For a '44 JP Sauer that could be either the Low or High Turret with a ZF39-style scope or a Long Side Rail with a ZF39 or some other scope. LSR mounts are more stable than their earlier SSR counterparts; the original ones tended to shoot loose after a while and the Germans tried ways to mitigate it but never quite fixed the problem until they switched to the long rail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Junkie4gun
I built mine on a Yugo. Got the mount, a long side rail from Accumounts. I had two repro fz-39 scopes that were both crap. So I mounted a weaver
K4 since that is legal for the CMP Vintage sniper match. Of course I haven't shot one of those matches yet....
I have two K98's one is a BNZ 43 all matching, and the Yugo. The Yugo was the obvious choice.

Junkie4Gun,I have a K98 Russian capture,Dont have much info on it.CE 43,Ser#9136,Mod 98,Bolt handle has #5968.Has hooded front sight.Barrel seems good accurate to at least 200 yards.Wanting to turn it into a vintage sniper.

I would never convert any original non-refurbed rifle ever. That said, a Russian capture or Yugo capture is fair game in my book.

I suggest turret mounts or long side rail if you're going to go side-rail. IIRC from Law's book, the Germans went away from the SSR to the LSR because of the mounts not holding up over time. That also being said, they had special receivers for side rail mounts that had thicker side wall for the mount screws to grab. The reproduction mounts come with spacer plates for that reason.

Another option is the late-war swept-back ZF4 setup. That's what I always wanted to do but never ponied up and made it happen.

Madmike, yes, CE or S/147, 147, etc.. codes are for JP Sauer.