• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98k short side rail sniper build

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
Here is one I'm working on. It's a Duv41 marked receiver. Barrel on it was junk and mismatched s/n's. So I didn't wreck a collectors item! Stock is a replacement as well. Had another guy help me with the side mount install. The scope is an original Ajack 4x90. It has a new barrel on the gun but the caliber is 7.5x58mm. The caliber came out in the mid 1920's but wasn't around long. I just took 8x57mm cases and necked it down to .30cal. The barrel contour duplicates the original of course. The rifling is 5R with a 1-11.25 twist. Only loads I shot thru it so far with the iron sights was 155 Lapua's and they averaged 2870fps. Will do some test firing and zeroing of the scope probably this weekend and get a baseline on accuracy. Have to check how the action is sitting in the stock and how the barrel is touching etc...I also installed a Timney trigger. Barrel and action still has to be refinished/blued as well but I want it to work out any bugs before I have that done. Enjoy the pics.....

P1040362.jpg

P1040364.jpg

P1040363.jpg

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Re: K98k short side rail sniper build

Nice looking job so far Frank...congrats!

But....BC flip-ups? Shame on you!!
wink.gif

There's a great guy on your side of the pond makes really good repro leather scope caps....called Ken Huddle. Best I've found for the German stuff. PM me if you want the contact details.

Here's some of his work:

Bisley250611013-1.jpg

LOL!!!! I knew that was going to come up!!!!! I know the Butler Creek scope covers are not correct but I wanted something on the scope to protect the lenses till I could fine a decent set of leather ones. My only objection to leather and the steel scope is that the leather can absorb moisture and start rust etc...you have to be careful and check/watch your stuff better.

I'll pm ya for the contact info.....

Thanks, Frank

PM received and replied.

I hear what you say. If they get wet, I just leave them off the rifle till they dry out. I'm more worried about getting water under the wood.

Suppose there's no reason why you couldn't Scotchguard them though??

Cool project and I love that scope!

The biggest problem I've had with K98s, especially my SSR, was getting it seated right so that the bayonet lug was not touching the barrel. That seemed to cause the most inconsistency, for me.

Looking forward to a range report!

Nice looking, surprised you just didn't go with 30-06 on it. Rumor is that Mauser actions are alright with the conversion. Ballistic wise from what I read both 8mm and .30 cal are close, bullets are almost a match up as well, just don't try it lol. Cant wait to hear a range report.

Frank Green, your Mauser built looks pretty good! I have been starting a military bolt gun collection, when money permits, and the K98k is one I have to get my hands on. I like the laminated stock!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool project and I love that scope!

The biggest problem I've had with K98s, especially my SSR, was getting it seated right so that the bayonet lug was not touching the barrel. That seemed to cause the most inconsistency, for me.

Looking forward to a range report!

</div></div>

You have to play with the clearance on the band and lug. That's all. Nothing hard just time consuming. Yea I like the Ajack scopes.

As I work and play with it I'll keep you all updated on how it's doing. Thanks to all for the nice comments!

The .30-06? Well everyone has a .30-06 right? I want to work on doing a G43 in the same round. It fits the mag box better than a .30-06 as that round is longer and just to be different! I've got another barrel on a target rifle I use for testing in the same caliber 7.5x58mm and the gun is a hammer.

Later, Frank

P1040376.jpg

Here is a picture of one target. After this group the gun was all over the place. The lock screw loosened up on the mount and the scope mount was loose. That probably explains why the far right round is out of the group but I didn't catch it till after I shot the next 5 rounds on a fresh target. So I loctited the screw. When I get a chance I'll take the gun back out again. Maybe this Friday for some more range work.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank, I used to have the same problem with the lock screw on my SSR. In the end I just tightened it down as far as I could using molegrips to get leverage that i couldn't with my fingers. Probably not in keeping with the concept of it being QD.....but it hasn't moved since!

Your grouping looks very promising up to that point.