• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kabar modification ideas

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
I really like the old 7" bladed kabars, but they have a couple of easily solved issues. Because the handle is round, it can be difficult to orient the blade correctly when/if it gets slippery. I used a wood rasp to flatten the sides a bit, making the handle a bit more oval, tapering toward the side which has the edge of the blade. That way, I can easily feel where the blade edge is without looking at it. I used a round rasp file to re-cut the grooves completely around the handle, then re-dyed the leather. Finally, I used some thin rings of bicycle tire inner tube to go into the grooves I had cut into the handle, they feel sort of like the rubber on pachmayer handgun grips.

Maybe I just have too much time to screw around with things.

I haven't had the chance to handle one yet, but they certainly do look like terrific upgrades. Doubles as a bayonet, longer blade, thicker blade, great steel.....what is not to like? IIRC, the designation for the knife is the OKC-3. (Ontario Knife Company).

Anytime I hear a discussion about knives I laugh. When I was in the Navy back in the 80's I was on the USS Cavalla (SSN648). We were the test and development platform for SDV systems (frogman stuff). Anyhow, one of the SEALS had shaped the tip of his knife into a screwdriver tip. He said it was way more useful that way.

Anytime I hear a discussion about knives I laugh. When I was in the Navy back in the 80's I was on the USS Cavalla (SSN648). We were the test and development platform for SDV systems (frogman stuff). Anyhow, one of the SEALS had shaped the tip of his knife into a screwdriver tip. He said it was way more useful that way.

If you're talking about the Ontario Mk3 Mod0 knife they had, that ultra-thin upturned tip almost always broke and yes, was more useful as a screwdriver.

Off the web:
Usn-Mk3-Mod-0-Fixed-Blade-Knife-With.jpg