• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing KABAR or ONTARIO

bdw0469

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
NY
Can't decide between a KABAR or Ontario knife #499 the pilot survival knife. Going to Colorado and I need a more durable knife than my regular deer knife. I am going for a week and hiking in away from civilization. Thanks

Re: KABAR or ONTARIO

I carry a Kabar Camp Knife. I use it for EVERYTHING
Never used an Ontario.

I still have my K-bar from when I was in the 2nd Bde 5th ID it has been used heavily from cutting WD-1 wire, camoflage, range stakes, even jump started a generator with it. it still holds a nice edge.

I presently have an Ontario K-bar on my gear it holds a nice edge and it has a real balanced heft to it. As of yet I haven't had to "abuse it" but it really seems to be up to the job. I especially like the synthetic handle.

I've got a 7" USMC Ka-bar w/ serrations that I carry with me hunting for general use. Never had to sharpen it, even after using it as an axe to actually chop down several small trees. Useful for hacking through underbrush and briers as well.

The grip is the perfect size and shape, and the knife has great balance.

I see a lot of the OKC knives at gun shows for pretty cheap though, so maybe it's more of a toss-up if cost is a determining factor.

Not going to potentially put my life at risk with a cheap blade

Might look at ESEE knives as well, built tough with one if not the best warranty in the business and owned by a couple very nice gentlemen.