• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC e3 question

Direct Assault

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2011
Usa
I have been building an ar pistol and all I have left to buy is a bcg. I have read that a KAC e3 bolt will not work in a mil spec barrel extension but I have a Rainer ultra match barrel and an extra e3 bolt lying around (don't know why) so I threw it in to see exactly how the e3 bolt fails to work with a mil spec barrel extension. Much to my surprise the e3 bolt slips right in and locks up perfectly. Wtf? I didn't feel any binding or excessive play so I don't get it. I wouldn't have the balls to squeeze the trigger but the e3 bolt DOES fit and lock. Can someone tell me why it won't work? I've done some googling and have just seen people saying it won't work at all and you need an e3 extension. Im not calling anyone out but I am a bit of a KAC fanboy and if I can use an e3 bolt in all my rifles I would.

I thought the issue was the other way around - KAC extension with a standard bolt.

The story goes "a milspec bolt can be used in a E3 barrel extension in a pinch but an E3 bolt will not work in a mil spec barrel extension at all"
I'll take some pictures to show what I mean about the E3 locking in fine.

IMG_20140720_173044565_zpsyyyymza7.jpg

E3 bolt

Lugs fit fine

Locked in

It may not hurt to shoot an email to KAC and ask them. They should be able to give you the engineering reasoning behind why it shouldn't be done.