• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors KAC QDC Range Report

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I know not many people have these but I bought an SR25 a couple years ago and decided on going with the factory QDC can; at the time, my only options for a 3/4-24 thread was AAC's SDN6, two different Surefire cans and the factory can. There may have been some others that weren't on my radar. I wanted a Sico Saker but surprisingly out of all the mounts they make that's the one they didn't. Surefire looked good, but suppression was only 2dB better, it was longer, same price but I had to change the mount, which is a feat on these rifles.

The below is an assessment based on my experience, YMMV. I don't normally do this, but figured there is so little out there on these cans that they deserve it.

The can is expensive like the Surefire can, but I didn't have to change the mount, though I'd have preferred the MAMS mount and may upgrade to that one day if a member here will still extend his offer to stop by and use his vice and special reaction rod for a minute.

The build is very high quality, very well thought out and very well designed. It is spot welded around the baffle stack, but they look like good, solid welds. The can attaches via a ratcheting collar that compresses several ~.30" hard polished alloy balls. There is an indexing pin at the top of the mount that aligns the suppressor. The inside of the suppressor is cut to fit around the mount and there is a collar inside the suppressor with many small holes that separate the vents on the mount from the muzzle of the mount. Gas escaping from the sides of the mount have to pass through these holes. After the thick blast baffle, which is bored round but also has a steep ramp cut into the baffle (it's not an oval so I'm guess it has to do with bullets still stabilizing just after the muzzle, or else it affects POI or both) the baffles are spaced a "normal" distance, but the last several are placed quite close. The end of the can is countersunk, not flat. It's quite light and can take some abuse. It has a similar rating at -28dB for .308 and is half the size and weight of the M110 suppressor which is -28 or -29, depending on the version. It doesn't add much length, ~6+ inches or so? Materials appear to special hard alloys and steels, and maybe some titanium. This can is a step up from the older reflex designs, and there's a lot of performance packed into a fairly small package. It's very well engineered and deserves recognition IMO. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best cans made and I have several really good ones.

Suppression is what you'd expect for a fairly light, small QD can. Their assessment at -28dB is probably spot on, there is no bang and it's pleasant with no ear pro. There are quieter, but I doubt it at the same length. This is a very well designed do-it-all can for a .308 or .300BLK rifle; when I get the mount, I'll compare it to several different .300BLK options. Equally at home in the field, range or as a precision can for many uses. Assuming due to the indexing pin, POI shift was EXACTLY .5mil up at 100y, so ten clicks from zero and I was spot on. I could swear my groups shrunk, but I don't have enough data to know if that's the reduction in recoil, me or the can. But my best ammo went from .75MOA to .5MOA for a 3 shot group; bit larger for 5 or more but this is a new rifle and I wasn't in the most stable position. Loads were new too. Absolutely zero horizontal shift and it was repeatable. This was nice. After using it at the range, I realize why it costs as much as it does, it's an extremely nice can not many people know about since they don't advertise and the cost is high, they're just rare. Lots of people buy new mounts if they get new KAC rifles now and many options are available that weren't then. But I'd argue they should keep the factory mount and bite the bullet and buy the QDC. Almost nobody buys a QDC who doesn't own a KAC rifle either, making the more rare. I argue they re worth considering even if you don't own a KAC rifle, though cost is a put off.

I own several cans and this one is sort of unique among them. It's easy and fast and durable like the Saker, it's light sort of like the TBAC, and it's extremely well thought out and engineered in ways I'm not familiar with. It locks up solid like a precision can and uses no threads. It's supported on several axes. It looks damn cool too, if I dare say so. I'm certainly not regretting the purchase, but I must admit I was wary at the beginning. Only real cons are lack of circumfential welding (come on, guys, but perhaps it's not necessary?) and fact the collar won't allow a full length suppressor wrap, which would be nice but isn't a deal breaker by any means. So a 6-7 inch wrap works great, anything longer gets in the way of the collar or sticks off the end. Not a big deal though, not at all. Mirage was light and took a while to become really noticeable, so a 6 or 7 inch wrap would probably be ideal anyway.

I actually plan on getting more KAC cans now that I'm familiar with them. So if you have QDC mounts laying around you don't need, I'll trade 51T flash hiders for 'em, or other items, PM me.

Anyway, my $.02. Impressed, 4.75 stars out of 5.

Last edited: