• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC Rail covers

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Great piece of kit but.....

Why don't they lock in place on my Vltor VIS?

They work fine on my Daniel Defense fore-end but the latch won't engage on the Vltor rail.

Anybody else had this problem and can advise a quick fix (not one that suggests using something else, please
wink.gif
)?

Re: KAC Rail covers

There nust be a relief cut on the rail for a KAC panel to lock into. I bet even on your DD rail the panels dont lock into every rail position but rather the fwd and rear most and possibly a section or two in the middle depending on length of rail.

The mod is easy with a file or dremel.

AnchorZeroSix - yes, you are right. The DD rail (7.0 M4) has the front and rear slots relief cut. On all other slots the KAC rail slides.

AS KAC make a load of different size panels, all with the same latch mechanism, I'm guessing that if the rear profile of the rail is cut, then the KAC rail has them on each slot?

Can anyone verify?

Rather than taking a power tool to my VIS rail, I was wondering if there was any way to modify the latch?

BasraBoy... Put down the power tools!! There is a fix!!

I use the KAC panels on a Vltor VIS rifle length upper and found a way to get them to "lock" into place. It's tough to explain without pics... But... Here we go...

Once you slide the panel into place, just take a small flat blade driver and pry up lightly on the clip right in the middle. Not too much, you don't want to pop the clip out of the panel. You may have to slide the panel back and forth slightly to "find" the groove in the rail. You'll be able to feel it "lock" into place. And visually, the clip will be as high as the panel.

If this is clear as mud let me know and I'll see what I can do about pictures.

Yeah what he said
wink.gif

The way the KAC panels are designed to work is that you push down on the locking bar which spreads the tabs out just far enough to lock into the rail slot (the ones cut with the relief).

To attch to rails w/o relief you basicly want to pry the tab up to where they sit ontop of the rail vice grabbing the sides. This will dicker up the finish on the rails so if its a safe queen make sure you have the rails where you want them.

And yet another option you can put a cut section of ladder rail in front and back of the KAC panel to hold it in place...not ideal but it works.

Mn_shooter, AnchorZeroSix...thanks again!

Will give it a go at the weekend and report back.

Really appreciate your help!