• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC SR-25 accurizing questions

filmgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Charleston, SC
Newbie on the board, but been lurking for a while. I bought an SR-25 EM in the summer and it's performed beautifully so far. I'm not quite as skilled as my rifle, but I can shoot 1 MOA at 100yds using my fundamentals. Over the past few weeks, I've been practicing at our 800yd range. I shot a 190 5X on an F-class center with sporadic 5mph wind and slight mirage. Still learning how to dope correctly, but I'd like to get some upgrade recommendations from those with much more experience (basically everyone here).

I've read that Gap can install a Broughton barrel and I've also read that Krieger sells AR-10 format barrels. Currently, I shoot FGMM 308 168gr BTHP, but will eventually load my own. What would be the recommended barrel specs in either brand and is there a brand recommendation that I haven't considered? What is the recommended barrel length? Will I have to replace the URX rail?

My gunsmith recommended a Jewel trigger replacement as well. Thoughts? Until I can build a custom 1000yd bolt rifle, this will be my 600-800yd rifle so I'd like to get her in shape to continue fundamentals training.

Curious item: I've shot both FGMM 308 168gr and FGMM 7.62 175gr out of this rifle. If memory serves, I believe both had comparable performance, but I decided to stick with 308 for reloading purposes. Should I rethink that or stick with 308?

I've already ordered a Sinclair F-class bipod and Edgewood rear bag to test. Any other accurizing recommendations to keep me on the right path?

photo_zpsd3ebe972.jpg

Re: KAC SR-25 accurizing questions

I sent a SR25 to GAP a few years ago, had them re barrel it, results were stunning. Best accuracy bet out the is to let George and crew at GAP have their way with it

I'll contact GAP to discuss the project. I've heard good things about the company and lots here swear by them so it's probably what I'll do. I might go ahead and upgrade the trigger while it's there. Thanks for the info.

Try reloading you own ammo before changing the barrel. If you are getting consistent 1 moa out of that rifle I would not do a fucking thing to it.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try reloading your own ammo before changing the barrel. If you are getting consistent 1 moa out of that rifle I would not do a fucking thing to it. </div></div>

Precisely the point of a military sniper rifle. Benchrest and F-Class are similar sports (in the fact it's a rifle with a scope), but that's not what the WEAPON (vice hobby/pastime toy) was designed for.

Hit it, kill it.

Targets.jpg

Chad Dixon just did a bunch of these and has the specs and tooling...

sinister and SSG3K, you're both correct.

Ultimately, I plan on building a custom bolt action rifle for true F-class usage. In the meantime, instead of getting a Savage or Remy and training with it, I figured I'd max out what I can do on the SR25 while working on fundamentals. I love the gun to death and understand its purpose and current limitations.

I've been learning about reloading gear and gathering opinions at my local club as well about what to get as well as reading the reloading basics on this forum. Can you recommend a good bullet/powder/primer combo in .308 that is tried and true to get started? I hear Nosler and Berger are top choices along with Varget powder and Lapua brass.

Gathering opinions....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad Dixon just did a bunch of these and has the specs and tooling... </div></div>
I thought so... do you remember the specs on the barrels he used? I think it was a Bartlein tight bore blank but can't remember the rest.

43-44 grains of Varget pushing any bullet from 125 to 180. Any case, any primer, it's pretty much agnostic in either a bolt or auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">43-44 grains of Varget pushing any bullet from 125 to 180. Any case, any primer, it's pretty much agnostic in either a bolt or auto. </div></div>

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad Dixon just did a bunch of these and has the specs and tooling... </div></div>
I thought so... do you remember the specs on the barrels he used? I think it was a Bartlein tight bore blank but can't remember the rest. </div></div>

I PM'd Chad to get his opinion. Thanks for the info.