• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC SR-25 and Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr

jrivera1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
New York City
Hi everyone

This place is incredible, it's not only a place of gathering, knowledge and ideas, but you can also get the scoop on all the cool stuff...LOL

I just picked up my new SR-25 this morning and was hoping that someone can tell me if I could use "Federal Gold Medal Sierra® MatchKing BTHP 168gr ammo." to shoot at the range...

I knew it wasn't going to be easy.... LOL

Re: KAC SR-25 and Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr

Yes, you can. Did you get the Match version or the Standard one?

Thanks Tigerhawk....

You just put my mind at ease, since I just bought 500 rounds...LOL

Mine ran real well with Federal Gold Medal 168 at a recent Thunder Ranch class, even suppressed.
You'll enjoy it!
Allan

Several Years ago Federal changed their brass to a stiffer brass that works well in semi-auto guns, I think you will get better results with their 175gr loading at least past 400.

However inside 200 the 168gr loading works very well.

Good to know, I'm looking forward to many years of good shooting with this bad boy.......

Thanks Allan

400 yards seems like Graduation Day, I'm still in first grade...LOL

I just bought 500 rounds of the 168gr.. I'm just a beginner and will probably be shooting 200 tops for a while...

Thanks Kevin...

The manual that came with your rifle says the WS is designed to work with M852 or M118LR ammo.

FGMM with the 168 SMK is a commercial equivalent to the M852.

Check your COAL on the factory loaded rounds, and be sure and run the KAC magazine. The 1987 M852 I tested in mine would not run with a CMMG magazine as some of the rounds came out at 2.806" COAL, dragging the tips on the inside of the magazine. The KAC and MAGPUL mags will take rounds slightly longer than 2.800".

Thanks 9H

I have two original KAC 10 rd mags plus a 20... It looks like I'm all good....

I have a question... If you stop shooting and remove the mag with one round still left in the chamber, doesn't the charging handle eject that round when you pull on it...?

you bought an SR-25 and didnt know if 168 FGMM will work? come on brother!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrivera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a question... If you stop shooting and remove the mag with one round still left in the chamber, doesn't the charging handle eject that round when you pull on it...? </div></div>

Assuming you mean pulling on "it" means pulling on the charging handle and not the magazine, yes operating the charging handle with the bolt closed on a live round should eject the live round.

Is yours not?

If yours is not, clean the bore/chamber, dry the chamber, and try again with the manual recommended ammo (or FGMM 168/175 per Kevin's answer above). I have a 762x39 upper that had debris in the chamber that was causing the unfired case to stick and the extractor to over ride the rim.

If it still won't extract a live round without using a cleaning rod to get it out or firing it, do a show posts on me and look for KAC in the topic line.

Thanks 9H

I meant to say pulling on the charging handle.... I would of thought it would be like racking the slide on a hand gun....

The rifle is brand new...The FFL who received the rifle for me, gave me a box of American Eagle 7.62 X 51mm. The box says its specially designed for M1A matches... I will clean it and try again. I am not planning to shoot the rifle until I get my FGMM...

VAJayJayPunisher

I needed confirmation, All this ammo stuff is too much to grasp all at once... I'll get there sooner or later....

And yes, this is my first and only experience with the AR platform..

I just got to the unloading section of the manual and it doesn't say anything about ejecting a round by pulling the charging handle?????

Damn, I wish I had the money to buy 4-5000 dollar rifles I had to learn how to operate! How's that for some slack?
grin.gif

Jrivera,

I have 2 KAC's in .308 I have a Mk 11 mod 0 and a Lightweight match. They both shoot Federal Gold Medal match very well, but IMHO the Hornady Match ammo shoots a little better.

YMMV,

JOhnny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I wish I had the money to buy 4-5000 dollar rifles I had to learn how to operate! How's that for some slack?
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1 In a perfect world we'd all have more dollars than sense :)))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrivera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VAJayJayPunisher

I needed confirmation, All this ammo stuff is too much to grasp all at once... I'll get there sooner or later....

And yes, this is my first and only experience with the AR platform..

I just got to the unloading section of the manual and it doesn't say anything about ejecting a round by pulling the charging handle?????</div></div>

dont take offense bro, all I was saying is thats a whole lotta rifle for a first AR platform

My bad.... Never offended....

Just forgot to add the LOL....

Thanks for all your advise and suggestion... I will rock the FGMM and let you know how it goes....

Once again... Thank You everyone...