• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles 3-18 vs 5-25

madangler1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
I went to the NRA show last weekend and looked through many different scopes for my Tikka CTR T3x .308 build (it is going into a Manners stock). I looked at Vortex, S&B, Steiner, NF, etc. My favorite hands down were the new Kahles, and I’m kicking myself for not buying one last spring. I have a Kahles 1-6 that I love to death, so I guess I am partial to what they have to offer.

The rep at the Swarovski booth was a PRS guy (I am not, I am building this to learn long distance shooting (I am an IDPA/steel match guy). Regardless, the rep said the 5-25x model would be more to my liking due to the larger objective and better resolution. I tended to agree with him, but I still liked the 3-18 model compared to the NF 4-16 ATACR I own now. He said he runs his 5-25 mostly below 18x, but prefers it due to the larger objective. Thoughts?

Last but not least, is SKMR 3 the way to go over MSR? I guess I may figure out what I like the more I shoot, but was curious as to what others prefer and why. I’ll be shooting mostly 600 yards or less, against steel or paper targets (not necessarily man targets).

I guess I could buy both and use the 3-18 on an AR-10 build.

Thanks

I was doing the same comparison and bought the 5-25. My reasoning was mostly due to the size the reticle will be in the scope at 15-18x.

Unsolicited advice here. I’ve owned the k318i and the k525i. They are both very nice, but

For the less than $900 more, get a zc420 or zc527.

Except for having an ambidextrous parallax, there’s literally nothing they don’t do better than kahles.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
i bought both, one for my JP 224v and one for my JP 6CM. The smaller on the 224v. Awesome optics.

Am getting a ZCO in next week so will compare

Is the ZCO 4-20x actually available?

I won’t be shooting beyond 800 yards. Not sure if I need 36 mils of elevation

Reactions: CSTactical
i bought both, one for my JP 224v and one for my JP 6CM. The smaller on the 224v. Awesome optics.

Am getting a ZCO in next week so will compare

Yeah, I’d like to know. I’ve heard so much about ZCO, but no product yet.

Well I just mailed a check for a 3.5-18x Kahles scope, used, from a fellow Snipershide member for a very good price. I’ll post a review after I put some rounds down range.

Well I just mailed a check for a 3.5-18x Kahles scope, used, from a fellow Snipershide member for a very good price. I’ll post a review after I put some rounds down range.

I think you'll like it. It's my favorite optic Kahles has produced. I use the K525i in competition. But just like the k318i more. Probably going to run my 223 topped with it in the next match coming up a week from saturday actually.

Is the reticle sized differently in 5-25x and 3.5-18x?

ILya

I don’t think so. Was just meaning for example at 15x in the 3-18 model the reticle will almost fill my whole sight picture. Whereas with 15x in the 25 power the reticle will be a little smaller and leave me more room for holdovers without putting my target near the edge of my field of view.

My scope that I used before getting the k5-25 was another 5-25 power so my decision was also kinda based on sticking to the mag range I was already used to.

Out of all the optics I looked through at the NRA Convention a week ago, Kahles, too me at least, stood out on top. I liked the glass and the turrets better than Steiner or S&B. Frankly, I was not impressed by the S&B 3-20 ultra short that everyone raves about. I still want to look at an ultra bright at some point. Regardless, I think for a 20" Tikka .308 rig, a Kahles 3-18 should work well for me. The longest I can shoot right now is 600-800 yards. There are not many long distance ranges around Indianapolis, and it's hard for me to get down to matches in Atterbury right now.

Out of all the optics I looked through at the NRA Convention a week ago, Kahles, too me at least, stood out on top. I liked the glass and the turrets better than Steiner or S&B. Frankly, I was not impressed by the S&B 3-20 ultra short that everyone raves about. I still want to look at an ultra bright at some point. Regardless, I think for a 20" Tikka .308 rig, a Kahles 3-18 should work well for me. The longest I can shoot right now is 600-800 yards. There are not many long distance ranges around Indianapolis, and it's hard for me to get down to matches in Atterbury right now.

I'm trending more like this myself honestly. I know the ZP5 best my K525i at max mag, i know the ZCO probably does too, but i just honestly don't wanna move from the Kahles elevation turret/parallax setup, and assuming SKMR4 is coming i'd rather just spend $300-400 or so getting it switched out, then selling at a loss to fund another optic plus rings. The k318i is one of the better ultra shorts on the market and i've said multiple times, the more impressive of the two new Kahles. The only real complaint with the new Gen Kahles is FOV. DOF while bothersome for me i can deal with FOV as noted is comparably small compared to all their competitors in both classes. I love that little thing though and don't think you'll be disappointed.

I had the first opportunity to handle & look through a K525i yesterday at a semi-local dealer's shop. I do wish I'd have taken one of my Bighorns with a K624i along to be able to do a side-by-side comparison, because there's no way I'm going to drop the cash for a 525 until I've done so. It was a dark, cloudy, rainy day, lousy weather to have taken rifles or scopes outdoors to compare anyway, so there'll be a better time for doing so.

What I did see for the first time in person was the SKMR3 reticle, which I think I might like a bit better than the AMR in my three K624i scopes. But the lack of DOF was pretty obvious - in contrast, as many K624I owners have said, leaving parallax set at 500 on a 624 is a very workable way to shoot during matches. I wanted to be impressed with & like the newer 525, but have so much time being happy behind my 624s that right now, I'd be as likely to buy another one before springing for the 525.... The 525 does focus a lot closer, so if I needed or wanted to upgrade from the Athlon Cronus scopes on my .22s (which I'm pretty much completely satisfied with), a 525 would work there. I'm left with the old question - Is new & improved always the better choice?

Reactions: kujuak