• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles 6-24x56 help

sch2046

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Sunbury, OH
I just mounted and zeroed my k624i, I followed the instructions to start at true zero and once I got it zeroed, I only have 18 mils in the dial. Is this normal? My USO has something like 24 or 25. Any advice? Is this normal?

It makes no difference where you set the elevation before you mounted the scope. I have no idea why manufacturers are now including that B.S. in owners manuals.

Provided the scope was built properly (meaning the reticle is centered in the scope when the erector is in the middle of its travel) and there's nothing funky with the rifle (improperly mounted rail, drooping barrel), with a flat rail/mount, you will have a little less than half the total erector travel in the scope available for elevation after the scope is zeroed at 100 yards. Replace the flat rail/mount with a 20 MOA rail/mount and you increase the amount of elevation available in the scope by 20 MOA. It's simple geometry.

If your current scope/mount/rifle combination leaves too much of the erector travel in the negative elevation direction, add some cant to the mount.

Joe

I get about 18 mils of upward travel with my K624 on a 20 moa base (Surgeon 1086R integral) with a 100 yd zero

Depending on your setup, you can either change your rail to include more cant. If it is an integral rail built into your receiver,
you would need to move to a mount w/rings that has more cant built in-such as a Spuhr mount.

I am not sure what you are shooting and how far you are shooting it, but 18 mils is quite a bit
of upward travel. It is 24 mils up on my 284 to a mile so I use holdovers when I am feeling ambitious.

Last edited:
18 is a lot, I do have a 20 moa base. I love the scope the glass is amazing. I will hold if I am going for a mile........

18 is a lot, I do have a 20 moa base. I love the scope the glass is amazing. I will hold if I am going for a mile........

Going for a mile? Are you shooting a 338?

Yes the Kahles is amazing, glass, tracking, quality...etc.. But these guys are correct a 20 to 40 MOA base will suit you better if you plan on getting out there.

No on the 338, we have a mile target where I shoot and it is a bonus target for some matches. I shoot a 260, which is why I am good with 18 mils, after I posted it and saw my 1000 yard dial at 8.7 mils, I realized 18 was plenty. My USO just has a ton of range in the scope, I am sure that is the purpose of the erek. I got to shoot the scope yesterday and I have to say,it is pretty amazing, I love their msr reticle, the broken center lets you see, very precisely, the target center and the glass is crystal clear.

No on the 338, we have a mile target where I shoot and it is a bonus target for some matches. I shoot a 260, which is why I am good with 18 mils, after I posted it and saw my 1000 yard dial at 8.7 mils, I realized 18 was plenty. My USO just has a ton of range in the scope, I am sure that is the purpose of the erek. I got to shoot the scope yesterday and I have to say,it is pretty amazing, I love their msr reticle, the broken center lets you see, very precisely, the target center and the glass is crystal clear.

So are you able to get out to 1 mile with .260?

Last edited: