• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kahles Heliavier (pics of K98 rifle added)

RETE8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
SD
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have an older Kahles scope that may have been a model made around the 1940's.

I am not implying that it was a sniper scope by posting it here, but I figured if anybody could provide any info/data/specs on this scope it would be the people that frequent this sub-forum.

I would appreciate any help in learning more about this optic.

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Re: Kahles Heliavier

Typical scope used for almost all European claw mounts inbetween and after WWII,

they were used for M98:s during the war however so was almost all scopes, the germans rounded them up from citizens and had them mounted to the M98:s,

There are quite a few of then floating about in Europe and sweden were I live.

Looking at the stamp on your Kahles, it says Budapest (Hungary), that to me sort of points towards post war produktion and the mounting distance for the clawrings hints of it having been on a driling or other break open rifle.

Well that was all I had, yes it ought to be a 6x40 lens system on it.

/Chris

Chris,

I really appreciate the info. The rings/scope are setup for a sporterized K98 that belonged to my grandfather.

He picked it up in Germany where he was stationed after serving in the Pacific during WW II.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Fred

Is it in good working order?

Kahles would most likely if asked do a full service and repair on it for a very decent price,

they actually love the idea that there scopes, made 60+ years ago are still used and in good condition.

If you have a pic of the rifle and any of it´s stamps and markings there might be a good chance that additional info can be given about the rifle.

Do you have the front clawring mounted in a separate ring around the barrel or is is the front plate in the ring of the action?

/Chris

Chris,

I know the glass and reticle are a little dingy, but there aren't any chips or cracks. As far as the function, I think things work but I am unfamiliar with the knob/adjustments on it.

I can post some photos this evening of the rifle. THe stock and barrel are not original to the rifle, but the markings on the receiver appear to be military. There is a four digit number that starts with "44XX" if I remember correctly.

The claw mountings are plates that have been installed on the action itself.

Fred

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
they were used for M98:s during the war however so was almost all scopes, the germans rounded them up from citizens and had them mounted to the M98:s,

/Chris </div></div>

Hello Chris,

Do you have a historical reference to the claim that the Germans "rounded up" scopes from civilans for military purposes? I'm a huge reader literature on WW2 Germany and had never heard such a claim. Would like to know more.

Thanks

Well,

I am not sure that I can muster one,

however I might give something else, some nice looking material,

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/kar98k/kar98k.htm

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/gew98/g98.htm

DJY515-Z-F2-H.jpg

Looking at the scope above its one and the same production as the Kahles,

even further more,

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?79197-German-mauser-scope-mount-question

Alas,

the info about a recall/collection of scopes from Civilians in germany is something that I could not find a remark about.

I might be wrong/misstaken in my recollection or just not having a very strong google fuu.

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kahles would most likely if asked do a full service and repair on it for a very decent price,

they actually love the idea that there scopes, made 60+ years ago are still used and in good condition.
</div></div>

Chris,

I tried contacting them via email but never received a response. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Fred

Alas,

the info about a recall/collection of scopes from Civilians in germany is something that I could not find a remark about.

I might be wrong/misstaken in my recollection or just not having a very strong google fuu.

/Chris

</div></div>

No sweat - It was just something that seemed very unusual to me(even by 3-Reich standards), so my curiosity was piqued.

Double claw mount Brother. Looks like all matching numbers on the stick. More than likely pre war. Correction POST war thats a 44 date on the receiver may be a cigarette rifle. What was the last year he was there?

Semper Fi

He was repatriated from the POW camps in the Pacific around Sept '45 and I believe he was assigned to Germany until '47-'48 time frame.

Semper Fi!

Cig rifle Brother. Still a damn good stick and collectable.

Semper Fi ! Need any more info, let me know Bro

Got a response from Kahles concerning scope:

The H 4x60 has been manufactured between 1926 and 1935.

The currency was RM (Reichsmark) as you see on the leaflet.

The technical details are the following:

Magnification 4x

Field of view: 10,8m /100m

Luminosity: 60

Twilight factor:960

Length: 270mm

Weight: 410gram

....if I can figure out how to upload the .pdf's, I'll post the pages.

Some cool info on this. Thanks for sharing.