• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Kahles k16i vs k18i

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
NC
I have decided on either the k16i or k18i for my next general purpose lpvo in the 0 to 400 yards range that will end up on either a 16 inch 556 or a 16 inch 308 AR.
What are the pros and cons for those who have been able to compare both?

From what I have read, the k16i is 2.6 oz lighter and over an inch in length shorter, so I am curious if the size difference for the k18i is worth it for my application. Reviews have stated the k18i is brighter, the reticle is spaced out a little better for distance shooting, and the second dot is less visible and distracting in the k18i.

What about ruggedness? Any difference there? What about eye box? I love the k16i's massive eye box. Is the k18i any tighter than the k16i?

Thanks in advance and I am not really interested in any other scopes, just these two.

Reactions: simonp
I've owned both with the 3GR reticle. I still have the K16i on my primary gun, a 12.5" barreled carbine I've been running through the ringer the last year. There was nothing wrong with the K18i, but I personally find 1-6x the sweet spot for my carbine shooting with LPVOs. The eye box was similar at 1x. The second dot has never been a distraction for me (was a concern when I first decided to get a Kahles).

At the distance you want to shoot, the 1-6 should be more than adequate unless you are primarily a prone shooter and want the extra magnification.

I've owned both with the 3GR reticle. I still have the K16i on my primary gun, a 12.5" barreled carbine I've been running through the ringer the last year. There was nothing wrong with the K18i, but I personally find 1-6x the sweet spot for my carbine shooting with LPVOs. The eye box was similar at 1x. The second dot has never been a distraction for me (was a concern when I first decided to get a Kahles).

At the distance you want to shoot, the 1-6 should be more than adequate unless you are primarily a prone shooter and want the extra magnification.
Thanks! I was kind of leaning that way. 1 to 6 is indeed a very sweet spot and super lightweight. I guess I am wanting to make sure I am not missing out on something about the k18i.

I am really only interested in the 3gr reticle, but I haven't seen one in person. So the second dot isn't distracting?

I've got about 5k rounds on mine and have done a significant amount of cqb distance shooting and not once have I been distracted by the second dot. The glass is so nice I am able to use the second dot as a mechanical offset reference up close and I am always aware if I am using the primary center dot of the second one.