• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles K318i

We ordered a few :cool:

27336295_1882607018448469_8949402859497131981_n.jpg

Just a few? How is the eye box, pretty easy to get behind? Man I hope Kahles got the glass right on this one, the scope looks fantastic! Anyone get a video of a Kahles rep talking about all the features?

Was anyone able to compare the mark 5HD 3.5-18 to k318i? Spec wise they seem comparable with the Mark 5HD being slightly shorter and lighter, and at a better price point

The eyebox is very friendly. Very similar to the K624i. I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Thank you Alex, this could be a real competitor to the S&B. What did you think of the reticles through the zoom range?

I own a 624 and really like it. However, I was not blown away by the 318. It's on the heavy/bulky side for a 3-18x. Other than overall length being less than the 624, I don't see a huge upside to it over the 624 if they are similarly priced. I liked the Leupold Mk 5 a lot for an AR10 optic or for long range hunting rig (two places where I'd use a 3-18 optic), but if you are set on having the SKMR3 and a matching scope control-wise to a 624 then the 318 might make more sense.

I own a 624 and really like it. However, I was not blown away by the 318. It's on the heavy/bulky side for a 3-18x. Other than overall length being less than the 624, I don't see a huge upside to it over the 624 if they are similarly priced. I liked the Leupold Mk 5 a lot for an AR10 optic or for long range hunting rig (two places where I'd use a 3-18 optic), but if you are set on having the SKMR3 and a matching scope control-wise to a 624 then the 318 might make more sense.
The Kahles K318i and Leupy have extremely similar specs, what did you like about the Leupold over the Kahles? You mention weight and bulk, I get that, was there any other reason?

The Kahles K318i and Leupy have extremely similar specs, what did you like about the Leupold over the Kahles? You mention weight and bulk, I get that, was there any other reason?

Weight/bulk were the biggest to me, but price is another factor. It's really hard to say how good the Loopy glass is at SHOT with the crappy/funky lighting.

Weight/bulk were the biggest to me, but price is another factor. It's really hard to say how good the Loopy glass is at SHOT with the crappy/funky lighting.
I hear ya, that's why I had to start buying these scopes instead of trying to see some of them in Cabela's and Bass Pro and the like, I needed to get them on my rifles and start using them in situations that would put them to the test because peering through them inside a store/warehouse just doesn't give the full picture. Expensive endeavor but I learned a heck of a lot along the way, especially that not all scopes are created equal. Sometimes I get persuaded by clever marketing and find out for myself that X scope isn't as good as what some were saying. I prefer the larger objective of the Kahles but 7oz is a chunk when you're trying to save some weight, if only Leupold had a better reticle. Nice to have some options this year and what look to be some very good options...

anybody know the dif between the kahles k624i first gen vs. 2 and 3? some say the gen 3 is the one to get, but not sure why

I hear ya, that's why I had to start buying these scopes instead of trying to see some of them in Cabela's and Bass Pro and the like, I needed to get them on my rifles and start using them in situations that would put them to the test because peering through them inside a store/warehouse just doesn't give the full picture. Expensive endeavor but I learned a heck of a lot along the way, especially that not all scopes are created equal. Sometimes I get persuaded by clever marketing and find out for myself that X scope isn't as good as what some were saying. I prefer the larger objective of the Kahles but 7oz is a chunk when you're trying to save some weight, if only Leupold had a better reticle. Nice to have some options this year and what look to be some very good options...

I didn't bother to see some of the newer company's offerings like ZCO and the like. I'm sure their great, but I'm in no rush to be an earlier adopter and end up holding the bag like many did with Premier. I'm content with my ZP5 and 624, and will likely get another ZP5 or if that new ZL5 is not vapor wear for my new 300WM. The MR4 and the SKMR3 are the best that I've used IMHO. I'm a big proponent of having consistency across platforms, so I'm resisting the urge to stray. Agreed on Leupold about their reticle options. I think 3-18x scopes fill a niche and to do that, they need to be lighter and more compact than a lot of what's out there. If Vortex released a 3-18 AMG that is 24-25 oz with their newer center dot reticle, they would own that niche.

Last edited:
anybody know the dif between the kahles k624i first gen vs. 2 and 3? some say the gen 3 is the one to get, but not sure why

Differences from 1st to 2nd: Upgraded lens coatings, supposedly to increase resolution and reduce CA. New reticle choices also. Differences from 2nd to 3rd: Upgraded lens coatings again I believe, more reticle choices, new elevation and windage knobs (different knurling), hardened steel used for internal components (mainly for turret longevity and durability).

I was told different (Swaro?) glass than the K624i....supposed to look better at max/18x than the 624i at 18x.

Ironically I was able to spend a little time behind the HD the day before sending some 338 Norma Mag downrange from an AI. It happened to be on my "home range" and at targets I was used to looking at behind my 624I (many, many hours worth). Disclaimer--the scope was not set up for me, I did not mess with the diopter, etc...it was "nice". But I would say it certainly did not look better than my 624....close but to my eye a little less contrast and clarity. That's my take....