• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles K525i review, a comparison with the Tangent Theta and Nightforce ATACR 7-35

Renomd

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Reno, NV
My scope background: I have owned and sold (thus can’t make accurate comparisons anymore b/c they aren’t in front of me): two minox zp5 mr4 5-25, two Schmidt PMII 5-25s H59, two Schmidt 5-20 H59 US, NF atacr 5-25 H59, Mil-C, and Tremor 3…the vortex gen 2 4.5-27, viper pst 6-24 gen, razor 5-20 gen ebr-2.

Scopes being reviewed

• Nightforce atacr 7-35 Tremor 3
  • Tangent Theta 5-25p Gen2XR (TWO of them)
  • Kahles K525i SKMR 3 LSW
Before going further please keep in mind everyone’s eyes are different I have relatively bad vision; but, they are great when corrected with contact lenses to 20/20. I can guarantee you that my observations will be slightly different from others. I try to be as objective as possible. Please realize also that the messy xmas tree reticles at higher mag really do distract your eyes, so in some instances I will look at the top half of the FOV above the horizontal crosshair line at higher mag.

Please also note, I may use exaggerated language to prove a point; but, really the differences are miniscule. So miniscule I bet most people would not notice unless you had these scopes side by side to compare them too.

Please try to keep anecdotal sample size of 1-2 bad examples, etc out of the comments. In general all 3 of these scopes are incredibly robust and tough and won’t have to be sent into the factory for warranty work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time spent: THREE 60 min sessions (I did take small breaks in each session to reset my vision) in different lighting conditions, fully out doors (not looking through a window which isn’t accurate).

Environment: 4500 ft elevation, smoky environment from the forest fires with sun at 45 degrees, smoky environment with little to no direct sunlight and if so it’s overhead, clear skies (I had to wait for this one and for the winds to line up right). One can make the argument, the crappier the visibility may help differentiate the scopes qualities.

Evaluation objects: Telephone pole with surrounding large boulders. Distances confirmed by sig kilo 2000.

Telephone pole: 1061 yds

Boulder closest: 568 yds

Boulder farthest: 1073 yds

Evaluation method: All ocular focus was done prior to evaluation using standard methods of finding clearest reticle picture looking at a grey sky at mid and max power. Comparison at minimum power first (please note the atacr min is 7-35) with parallax set the same (infinity), comparison at 15 x parallax the same, comparison at 25x parallax the same. After comparing, I did whatever it took at 25x to get the best image quality possible including fine tuning parallax.

Categories of evaluation (Let’s get the quick ones out of the way) most of the evals are going to be spent talking about 15x (the most practical magnification for a lot of us whom compete), with some time at 25x.

• Turret design and feel: Hands down Tangent Theta, I doubt most would argue with this. Between atacr 7-35 and the K525i, I feel they are about the same. This one is easy and I won’t spend time on this one.
  • FOV: The numbers are on the websites. In general when looking at the telephone pole at surroundings, TT>NF>Kahles. At 25x mag, the Kahles reminded me of the reaction I had with the leupold mark5 5-25 HD… “huh, that’s kind of small”. This unfortunately is NOT splitting hairs. It’s noticeably smaller, and the published numbers don’t lie (TT is 5.2’@ 109 yd, NF 5-25 version is 4.92@ 100 yds, kahles 4.5@ 100yds). The NF 7-35 doesn’t publish the 25x FOV @ 100yds; but, I’ll tell you it’s an obvious difference when you look compared to the kahles, and I feel it’s obvious when you compare it to the tangent theta (the gross comparison then counting the mil hashmarks when looking at the same object... the entire telephone pole). FOV is a very difficult measurement to do correctly, it is not a linear relationship from what I read so you can’t extrapolate based on the NF published numbers for 7x and 35x.
  • Edge to Edge clarity: TT = Kahles> NF at all mag ranges. I feel most can not argue this. It’s pretty obvious that the NF has very slight edge distortion at all mag ranges; but, it becomes more obvious at 15x and up. TT and Kahles are equal IMO.
  • Eyebox: Kahles = NF, both are slightly better than tangent theta (yep I just said that) at all mag ranges. I can tell you starting at 12-15x on the TT the very top of the vertical reticle line is just out of view (not sure if this is intentional) and can be brought into view when you move your eye down ever so slightly (this occurs with BOTH of my TTs). At higher mag, I keep having that feel of not a full circle picture, and it’s at the top most area of the tangent theta scope. I took off the scope caps just to make sure. It’s still there adjusted eye relief, did everything…I still thought the TT eyebox was just every so slightly worse than the Kahles and NF.
  • Parallax and mirage control: TT>NF>Kahles. I feel most would agree with me on this… TT wins hands down by an easily noticeable margin. I tried small increments of adjustment in the kahles and NF they are not as good at controlling mirage as the TT. I actually feel the NF does a slight better at mirage control with parallax than the kahles.
  • Brightness: TT = Kahles>NF@ 15x magnification. Both TT and Kahles are better than the NF in regards to brightness and light gathering. There is ever so slightly a yellowish/orangish color difference with the NF. Maybe this could be categorized in the color/pop section. At 25x TT>Kahles>>NF. TT is ever so slightly brighter than the kahles at 25x (this was more evident on the smoky day), we are splitting fine lint hairs here. Both are notably brighter than the NF at 25x.
  • Color contrast/Pop: Gross contrast Kahles = TT>NF @ 15x magnification (again both are slightly better than NF). Gross meaning when you quickly look at all the objects and surrounding they all look great in regards to color contrast; but, when you start looking closer at the small details of all the objects that’s micro-contrast. Micro-contrast TT>Kahles>NF @ 15x magnification (I feel most would agree with me on this one). TT>Kahles>NF @ 25x. So around 23x on the kahles, that’s when microcontrast starts to deteriorate. I looked at specific details on the boulders and on the telephone pole (a spike with a metal plate that had numbers on it). I did multiple adjustments (parallax, ocular, etc.) on the kahles to try to get this deterioration @ 25x to go away, and it would not. There is a slight deterioration in micro-contrast on the kahles starting at 23x and it’s notably worse than the TT @ 25x. I doubt most will disagree with me here as it’s fairly evident when comparing between the TT and Kahles. HOWEVER, my feeling is if you did not have the TT to directly compare to right there and then, most would not pick up on the deterioration of microcontrast in the Kahles (everything is relative).
  • Clarity (this does overlap with contrast): Here we go… at 15x TT=Kahles>NF. At 25x TT>Kahles=NF. Similar to the above description, starting at 23x, clarity does drop off in the kahles, and I’ll tell you it’s quickly obvious at 25x. I tried adjusting the parallax and ocular on the kahles, ended up resetting the ocular focus on the reticle, and trying again. I also feel that most would agree with me on this one that at 25x the kahles clarity does drop off compared to the TT. In fact, @ 25x it’s similar to the NF @ 25x…. HOWEVER at 23x the kahles has more clarity than the nightforce 7-35 @ 25x (I’m explicitly stating the NF 7-35 model here to exemplify that it’s not even close to maxing out the max mag ), and FOV is similar IMO with the kahles @ 23x vs. atacr @ 25x. Some thoughts to stir the pot.
  • Chromatic aberration: I saved the best for last. Disclosure, I HATE THE K624i b/c of this. I contacted Kahles, and they told me that is not a warranty reason. I was pissed and sold the scope on this forum. Let’s be clear here b/c I know fanboys will beat this point to death… CA doesn’t affect the scope function, and it doesn’t mean you won’t shoot well when you have CA. BUT in my mind a $3000k plus scope really should not have it or have little to none of it…. Got that off my chest. Luckily… the K525i does an awesome job at controlling CA compared to the k624i…. until 23x it really is not noticeable at all unless you look for it…b /c trust me it’s still there even on medium magnification, and it’s more noticeable when there is bad mirage. It’s best demonstrated when you are looking past a closer object at a farther object at 25x, and then focus your eye on the closer object. In my case, tree branches. Jimi Hendrix would be high as a kite with the K624i with the amount of purple haze he saw; but, it’s much less noticeable with the k525i. My money is that MOST people would not notice it on the k525i. I was specifically hunting for it b/c of my bad experience. Getting back to the comparison TT>Kahles=NF. BUT again, TT I just don’t see any CA… Kahles I barely saw some (but it’s sooo much better than the K624i). Nightforce, it’s there if you want to make it come out; but, it’s not that obvious compared to lesser quality glass scopes.
To summarize, overall the tangent theta beats out the competition in many categories @ 25x. At 15x mag range, it’s is equal or just barely edges out the Kahles in the above categories. Again it’s surprising the eyebox on the TT is ever so slightly worse than the kahles and NF. The K525i is nice and compact… it’s actually quite impressive how compact it is in fact. Is there a trade-off with FOV b/c of that?? I don’t know I’m not an optics engineer or a physicist; but, the FOV on the K525 is demonstrably and objectively worse (published numbers by the manufacturer/retailers) compared to the TT and NF (I doubt this will make much of a difference, and really shouldn’t in your purchase decision) . If you want the best, you will still have to pay for the best. If you can settle for having it similar to the best ( you don’t have to own a tangent to win the PRS series… just a razor gen II), you don’t need a tangent. In the precision rifle world, if you want the best of the best of all features it will cost you a pretty penny. Again it’s not going to magically make you a better shooter; but, I can tell you it does give you more confidence to see trace and impacts (notice how I said confidence).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps others when making decisions when purchasing riflescopes… if you have the means to do so, my advice would be to buy the scope you think you want. It’s difficult to go by online reviews and opinions.

Please don’t be dismayed by this review, I bet a lot of people will be very happy with the K525i; but, it is distinctly not as good as a Tangent Theta. My prediction, the K525 will be a very dominant scope in the competition circuits.

Attachments

• 66A7768D-2BFF-4BAA-99E7-FA21EF55F324.jpeg
    66A7768D-2BFF-4BAA-99E7-FA21EF55F324.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 548
Ive also seen same observation.. specially on kahles pass 20x but i figured i didnt spend enough time comparing with pm2
20180727_140750.jpg

Reactions: Renomd
RenoMD, FOV at 25x can be calculated based on the 35x FOV. At low magnifications, it can get tricky, but at high magnifications it scales with the magnification ratio. 7-35x56 ATACR should have FOV of 4.82 feet at 100 yards, so your measurement was very close.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your observations. I have not spent any real time with K525i, but so far every application I have seen of Kahles' 5x erector has notably narrower FOV than their earlier scopes. With the NF 7-35x, they did something interesting with the optics where the resolution of high contrast detail is just superb, but at the expense of low contrast detail, which you perceive as micro-contrast. There are also some tricks being played with color, where I see less tonal gradation. Perhaps, that is the price of that resolution on bright edges.

ILya

Great job Reno, I really appreciate the time, effort and detail you've provided here. I remember my K624i all too well and those tree branches and purple haze :D and glad to hear it sounds like Kahles has for the most part remedied this with their new optical formula. I just received my K318i and am impressed by that little bugger so far. Also, can you explain how you tested for eyebox a little more, it almost sounds like tunneling from what you wrote regarding the TT and your methodology, but maybe I misunderstood. So it doesn't sound like the TT's throne is in jeopardy (nor do I think anyone realistically thought it would be). Also, with regard to TT FOV and other companies who only post meters at 100m, to get FOV measured in meters @ 100m convert the meter value to feet and divide by 1.093 to get feet at 100yds, so with the TT525 the FOV at 100yards is 4.8' @ 25x. Thanks again!

PS - O ZCO, ZCO, wherefor art thou o ZCO?

I have not spent any real time with K525i, but so far every application I have seen of Kahles' 5x erector has notably narrower FOV than their earlier scopes.

ILya

Why do you think the Kahles engineers opted for this approach, I would think some would be put off by the narrower FOV, especially current K624i owners, they might notice the difference right away where others may not so much.

Why do you think the Kahles engineers opted for this approach, I would think some would be put off by the narrower FOV, especially current K624i owners, they might notice the difference right away where others may not so much.

That is probably a question for Kahles. I think it is a mistake to give up on something that was your trademark for so many years, but it is their product.

ILya

Good write up. My worries are at ease. Still interested to see it at 25x. Not that i ever shoot at 25x in a match but still

Last edited:
Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Always enjoy reviews of top tier optics. Thanks for doing this one. It's always interesting to see how the give and take of each system stacks up. Personally it seems impossible to make a "perfect" scope with how the different variables play off each other. As always fun stuff to learn about.

You forgot a comparison.. how the optics function at 35x. NF>>>>>>>TT=Kahles

I love my 7-35.. it's amazing how usable the scope is at 35x. While I agree with most and don't shoot at 35x all that much, it has been useful. Had a TYL rack at 900 yds at the last match.. last 2 gongs were pretty salty. Was nice to use that extra magnification to see misses splash in the berm and make a correction.

RenoMD, FOV at 25x can be calculated based on the 35x FOV. At low magnifications, it can get tricky, but at high magnifications it scales with the magnification ratio. 7-35x56 ATACR should have FOV of 4.82 feet at 100 yards, so your measurement was very close.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your observations. I have not spent any real time with K525i, but so far every application I have seen of Kahles' 5x erector has notably narrower FOV than their earlier scopes. With the NF 7-35x, they did something interesting with the optics where the resolution of high contrast detail is just superb, but at the expense of low contrast detail, which you perceive as micro-contrast. There are also some tricks being played with color, where I see less tonal gradation. Perhaps, that is the price of that resolution on bright edges.

ILya
Ah yes, low contrast detail is probably a better term. Thank you for your input on the FOV calculation.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Great job Reno, I really appreciate the time, effort and detail you've provided here. I remember my K624i all too well and those tree branches and purple haze :D and glad to hear it sounds like Kahles has for the most part remedied this with their new optical formula. I just received my K318i and am impressed by that little bugger so far. Also, can you explain how you tested for eyebox a little more, it almost sounds like tunneling from what you wrote regarding the TT and your methodology, but maybe I misunderstood. So it doesn't sound like the TT's throne is in jeopardy (nor do I think anyone realistically thought it would be). Also, with regard to TT FOV and other companies who only post meters at 100m, to get FOV measured in meters @ 100m convert the meter value to feet and divide by 1.093 to get feet at 100yds, so with the TT525 the FOV at 100yards is 4.8' @ 25x. Thanks again!

PS - O ZCO, ZCO, wherefor art thou o ZCO?
Hey wjm308 my eyebox method wasn't too scientific, basically what scope was easier to "get behind" and get a full view quicker. I basically kept pulling my eye in and out of view. I found kahles and NF easier vs. the TT. The other thing I did was tried to see which scope was more "foregiving" in regards to small head movements and maintaining a full 360 clock view of the sight picture. When I did that it became apparent that the Tangent Theta at 11:30-1:30 roughly it did not have a full edge picture. I didn't want to call it tunneling b/c it wasn't the full 360. It was really just at 11:30-1:30 at the top of the sight picture it just felt obscured as if I kept wanting to fight to get a full edge to edge picture. Not sure if this makes sense, and if this technically would be considered tunneling.

I have seen this before on my vortex and US optics ER 25 as well.

Now...if only TT would release a reticle I liked...

Great write up
I feel the same way.... having a floating center dot is in my opinion and the opinions of MANY competition shooters, the way to go. I keep seeing anecdotal reports of TT releasing a revised gen2xr; but, have yet to see any official release or anything even on the Shot show videos of them saying they will.

Reactions: maverickasu
Good write up. My worries are at ease. Still interested to see it at 25x. Not that i ever shoot at 25x in a match but still
Yeah I would not let my review prevent you from getting the k525i. I'm likely going to keep mine and mount it up and sell one of my TT's, it's just a bit excessive to have two TT's haha...

Hey wjm308 my eyebox method wasn't too scientific, basically what scope was easier to "get behind" and get a full view quicker. I basically kept pulling my eye in and out of view. I found kahles and NF easier vs. the TT. The other thing I did was tried to see which scope was more "foregiving" in regards to small head movements and maintaining a full 360 clock view of the sight picture. When I did that it became apparent that the Tangent Theta at 11:30-1:30 roughly it did not have a full edge picture. I didn't want to call it tunneling b/c it wasn't the full 360. It was really just at 11:30-1:30 at the top of the sight picture it just felt obscured as if I kept wanting to fight to get a full edge to edge picture. Not sure if this makes sense, and if this technically would be considered tunneling.

The shading is a bit odd. Are you close to the edge of adjustment on one side?

ILya

I feel the same way.... having a floating center dot is in my opinion and the opinions of MANY competition shooters, the way to go. I keep seeing anecdotal reports of TT releasing a revised gen2xr; but, have yet to see any official release or anything even on the Shot show videos of them saying they will.

They will. I have seen the drawing for the new reticle. It is a thoroughly modern design that I think will do well.

ILya

Ah yes, low contrast detail is probably a better term. Thank you for your input on the FOV calculation.

Microcontrast is a good term, but it is a combination of low contrast detail and subtle tone variation. How a particular optic renders color makes a big difference for this.

Microcontrast is a good term, but it is a combination of low contrast detail and subtle tone variation. How a particular optic renders color makes a big difference for this.
I've followed Luminous-Landscape for years and feel that Mike Johnston's write-up on Contrast is one of the better explanations I've found on the subject of lens contrast, even though it is written for camera lenses, the same principles apply for rifle scopes - https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-lens-contrast/

Thank you for explaining Reno, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, I basically do the same thing when testing my scopes, the 11:30-1:30 position seems conspicuously located at the very top edge of the sight picture it makes me think ILya's comments below might apply, but if the scope was at zero and you don't use a huge cant base this is an interesting phenomenon (I've never noticed this in my Minox ZP5 which shares a similar design as your TT but now I want to pull it out and more thoroughly observe to see if I notice the same behavior).

The shading is a bit odd. Are you close to the edge of adjustment on one side?

ILya
Are you thinking if a large cant base was used where the TT was dialed towards the end of its 28 mils of elevation or even if Renomd had dialed up towards the limit of elevation this could cause this behavior?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. k525 sounds like a solid scope. I'm hoping someone will do an in-depth review the K525 SMMR3 and Minox MR4. Have the Minox w/MR4 and looking to pick up another scope soon.

Thus far though there isn’t much to dislike on the 525 except maybe the fov. Other than that it’s doing extremely well. I didn’t expect it to equal TT so much
I have pm2 TT and k525i
I dont think ill let go my kahles before my pm2 maybe even my TT :)
Kahles being much more compact those differences or glass quality comparison wont make me miss target..choosing one over the other

Thankf for the review. Slightly less fov wasn’t enough of a reason to keep looking for something else. Reticle, turrets, and lsw is what got me. 525 skmr 3, with lsw is inbound from Mhsa. Maybe have it hand by the weekend.

Reactions: bjay
My scope background: I have owned and sold (thus can’t make accurate comparisons anymore b/c they aren’t in front of me): two minox zp5 mr4 5-25, two Schmidt PMII 5-25s H59, two Schmidt 5-20 H59 US, NF atacr 5-25 H59, Mil-C, and Tremor 3…the vortex gen 2 4.5-27, viper pst 6-24 gen, razor 5-20 gen ebr-2.

Scopes being reviewed

• Nightforce atacr 7-35 Tremor 3
  • Tangent Theta 5-25p Gen2XR (TWO of them)
  • Kahles K525i SKMR 3 LSW
Before going further please keep in mind everyone’s eyes are different I have relatively bad vision; but, they are great when corrected with contact lenses to 20/20. I can guarantee you that my observations will be slightly different from others. I try to be as objective as possible. Please realize also that the messy xmas tree reticles at higher mag really do distract your eyes, so in some instances I will look at the top half of the FOV above the horizontal crosshair line at higher mag.

Please also note, I may use exaggerated language to prove a point; but, really the differences are miniscule. So miniscule I bet most people would not notice unless you had these scopes side by side to compare them too.

Please try to keep anecdotal sample size of 1-2 bad examples, etc out of the comments. In general all 3 of these scopes are incredibly robust and tough and won’t have to be sent into the factory for warranty work.

Time spent: THREE 60 min sessions (I did take small breaks in each session to reset my vision) in different lighting conditions, fully out doors (not looking through a window which isn’t accurate).

Environment: 4500 ft elevation, smoky environment from the forest fires with sun at 45 degrees, smoky environment with little to no direct sunlight and if so it’s overhead, clear skies (I had to wait for this one and for the winds to line up right). One can make the argument, the crappier the visibility may help differentiate the scopes qualities.

Evaluation objects: Telephone pole with surrounding large boulders. Distances confirmed by sig kilo 2000.

Telephone pole: 1061 yds

Boulder closest: 568 yds

Boulder farthest: 1073 yds

Evaluation method: All ocular focus was done prior to evaluation using standard methods of finding clearest reticle picture looking at a grey sky at mid and max power. Comparison at minimum power first (please note the atacr min is 7-35) with parallax set the same (infinity), comparison at 15 x parallax the same, comparison at 25x parallax the same. After comparing, I did whatever it took at 25x to get the best image quality possible including fine tuning parallax.

Categories of evaluation (Let’s get the quick ones out of the way) most of the evals are going to be spent talking about 15x (the most practical magnification for a lot of us whom compete), with some time at 25x.

• Turret design and feel: Hands down Tangent Theta, I doubt most would argue with this. Between atacr 7-35 and the K525i, I feel they are about the same. This one is easy and I won’t spend time on this one.
  • FOV: The numbers are on the websites. In general when looking at the telephone pole at surroundings, TT>NF>Kahles. At 25x mag, the Kahles reminded me of the reaction I had with the leupold mark5 5-25 HD… “huh, that’s kind of small”. This unfortunately is NOT splitting hairs. It’s noticeably smaller, and the published numbers don’t lie (TT is 5.2’@ 109 yd, NF 5-25 version is 4.92@ 100 yds, kahles 4.5@ 100yds). The NF 7-35 doesn’t publish the 25x FOV @ 100yds; but, I’ll tell you it’s an obvious difference when you look compared to the kahles, and I feel it’s obvious when you compare it to the tangent theta (the gross comparison then counting the mil hashmarks when looking at the same object... the entire telephone pole). FOV is a very difficult measurement to do correctly, it is not a linear relationship from what I read so you can’t extrapolate based on the NF published numbers for 7x and 35x.
  • Edge to Edge clarity: TT = Kahles> NF at all mag ranges. I feel most can not argue this. It’s pretty obvious that the NF has very slight edge distortion at all mag ranges; but, it becomes more obvious at 15x and up. TT and Kahles are equal IMO.
  • Eyebox: Kahles = NF, both are slightly better than tangent theta (yep I just said that) at all mag ranges. I can tell you starting at 12-15x on the TT the very top of the vertical reticle line is just out of view (not sure if this is intentional) and can be brought into view when you move your eye down ever so slightly (this occurs with BOTH of my TTs). At higher mag, I keep having that feel of not a full circle picture, and it’s at the top most area of the tangent theta scope. I took off the scope caps just to make sure. It’s still there adjusted eye relief, did everything…I still thought the TT eyebox was just every so slightly worse than the Kahles and NF.
  • Parallax and mirage control: TT>NF>Kahles. I feel most would agree with me on this… TT wins hands down by an easily noticeable margin. I tried small increments of adjustment in the kahles and NF they are not as good at controlling mirage as the TT. I actually feel the NF does a slight better at mirage control with parallax than the kahles.
  • Brightness: TT = Kahles>NF@ 15x magnification. Both TT and Kahles are better than the NF in regards to brightness and light gathering. There is ever so slightly a yellowish/orangish color difference with the NF. Maybe this could be categorized in the color/pop section. At 25x TT>Kahles>>NF. TT is ever so slightly brighter than the kahles at 25x (this was more evident on the smoky day), we are splitting fine lint hairs here. Both are notably brighter than the NF at 25x.
  • Color contrast/Pop: Gross contrast Kahles = TT>NF @ 15x magnification (again both are slightly better than NF). Gross meaning when you quickly look at all the objects and surrounding they all look great in regards to color contrast; but, when you start looking closer at the small details of all the objects that’s micro-contrast. Micro-contrast TT>Kahles>NF @ 15x magnification (I feel most would agree with me on this one). TT>Kahles>NF @ 25x. So around 23x on the kahles, that’s when microcontrast starts to deteriorate. I looked at specific details on the boulders and on the telephone pole (a spike with a metal plate that had numbers on it). I did multiple adjustments (parallax, ocular, etc.) on the kahles to try to get this deterioration @ 25x to go away, and it would not. There is a slight deterioration in micro-contrast on the kahles starting at 23x and it’s notably worse than the TT @ 25x. I doubt most will disagree with me here as it’s fairly evident when comparing between the TT and Kahles. HOWEVER, my feeling is if you did not have the TT to directly compare to right there and then, most would not pick up on the deterioration of microcontrast in the Kahles (everything is relative).
  • Clarity (this does overlap with contrast): Here we go… at 15x TT=Kahles>NF. At 25x TT>Kahles=NF. Similar to the above description, starting at 23x, clarity does drop off in the kahles, and I’ll tell you it’s quickly obvious at 25x. I tried adjusting the parallax and ocular on the kahles, ended up resetting the ocular focus on the reticle, and trying again. I also feel that most would agree with me on this one that at 25x the kahles clarity does drop off compared to the TT. In fact, @ 25x it’s similar to the NF @ 25x…. HOWEVER at 23x the kahles has more clarity than the nightforce 7-35 @ 25x (I’m explicitly stating the NF 7-35 model here to exemplify that it’s not even close to maxing out the max mag ), and FOV is similar IMO with the kahles @ 23x vs. atacr @ 25x. Some thoughts to stir the pot.
  • Chromatic aberration: I saved the best for last. Disclosure, I HATE THE K624i b/c of this. I contacted Kahles, and they told me that is not a warranty reason. I was pissed and sold the scope on this forum. Let’s be clear here b/c I know fanboys will beat this point to death… CA doesn’t affect the scope function, and it doesn’t mean you won’t shoot well when you have CA. BUT in my mind a $3000k plus scope really should not have it or have little to none of it…. Got that off my chest. Luckily… the K525i does an awesome job at controlling CA compared to the k624i…. until 23x it really is not noticeable at all unless you look for it…b /c trust me it’s still there even on medium magnification, and it’s more noticeable when there is bad mirage. It’s best demonstrated when you are looking past a closer object at a farther object at 25x, and then focus your eye on the closer object. In my case, tree branches. Jimi Hendrix would be high as a kite with the K624i with the amount of purple haze he saw; but, it’s much less noticeable with the k525i. My money is that MOST people would not notice it on the k525i. I was specifically hunting for it b/c of my bad experience. Getting back to the comparison TT>Kahles=NF. BUT again, TT I just don’t see any CA… Kahles I barely saw some (but it’s sooo much better than the K624i). Nightforce, it’s there if you want to make it come out; but, it’s not that obvious compared to lesser quality glass scopes.
To summarize, overall the tangent theta beats out the competition in many categories @ 25x. At 15x mag range, it’s is equal or just barely edges out the Kahles in the above categories. Again it’s surprising the eyebox on the TT is ever so slightly worse than the kahles and NF. The K525i is nice and compact… it’s actually quite impressive how compact it is in fact. Is there a trade-off with FOV b/c of that?? I don’t know I’m not an optics engineer or a physicist; but, the FOV on the K525 is demonstrably and objectively worse (published numbers by the manufacturer/retailers) compared to the TT and NF (I doubt this will make much of a difference, and really shouldn’t in your purchase decision) . If you want the best, you will still have to pay for the best. If you can settle for having it similar to the best ( you don’t have to own a tangent to win the PRS series… just a razor gen II), you don’t need a tangent. In the precision rifle world, if you want the best of the best of all features it will cost you a pretty penny. Again it’s not going to magically make you a better shooter; but, I can tell you it does give you more confidence to see trace and impacts (notice how I said confidence).

I hope this helps others when making decisions when purchasing riflescopes… if you have the means to do so, my advice would be to buy the scope you think you want. It’s difficult to go by online reviews and opinions.

Please don’t be dismayed by this review, I bet a lot of people will be very happy with the K525i; but, it is distinctly not as good as a Tangent Theta. My prediction, the K525 will be a very dominant scope in the competition circuits.
Excellent work! I’m curious about your thoughts on how the illumination compares among these scopes: ease of use w/respect to controls, range of brightness, reticle clarity, overall usefulness. This factor is minor in my view, likely wouldn’t persuade/dissuade decision, but still a design element to consider.

Pulled the trigger on the 525 after not buying a new scope since the initial release of the swfa hd 5-20 probably eight years ago.

What mounts are y’all using with the 525 on non-enclosed forend guns? I already have 20moa in the base. Think the 30mm tube sphur I have on there now is 1.5” and it seems too high (came off an RPR).

Pulled the trigger on the 525 after not buying a new scope since the initial release of the swfa hd 5-20 probably eight years ago.

What mounts are y’all using with the 525 on non-enclosed forend guns? I already have 20moa in the base. Think the 30mm tube sphur I have on there now is 1.5” and it seems too high (came off an RPR).
K525i is 34mm tube

Thanks for the write up. Wouldnt the ATACR 5-25 be a better comparo? (if you couldnt get hands on one guess that's a good reason)

Like you, I abhor the CA on the 624i. Somehow all the reports on this were nowhere to be found when I was researching it last year. Guess the hype train hadn't run out of steam yet. Sounds like they got it under control.

Thanks for the write up. Wouldnt the ATACR 5-25 be a better comparo? (if you couldnt get hands on one guess that's a good reason)

Like you, I abhor the CA on the 624i. Somehow all the reports on this were nowhere to be found when I was researching it last year. Guess the hype train hadn't run out of steam yet. Sounds like they got it under control.

They did, granted my sample size is small but both my K318i and K525i exhibit little to no CA most of it is induced on the K525i from being of center off the optic. Thing is tight at 25x and does lose some resolution at 25x think Gen II razor at 27x there is a definite drop off, though it's still good. DOF is shallow and the FOV is small everything else it damn near gets right. I think @Dthomas3523 described it kind of perfectly a jack of all trades and ace of none. My major complaint is probably the FOV, the thing would be outstanding if it retained the massive FOV that the k624i was known for. It's still a great optic though and i wont be parting with mine, just love the SKMR3. If/When the SKMR4 comes out i'll be likely sending mine in for a reticle swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
Can someone post a KAHLES FOV comparison to a ATACR 5-25 or a GEN2 Razor. I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a new scope I just need to see the difference....

What has
I have pm2 TT and k525i
I dont think ill let go my kahles before my pm2 maybe even my TT :)
Kahles being much more compact those differences or glass quality comparison wont make me miss target..choosing one over the other
better glass the Kahles k525i or the pm2

What has

better glass the Kahles k525i or the pm2

In the samples I’ve owned, PM2 is better at 25x.

Would need to check them side by side again to see at 15-18x. I feel like the kahles was better, but that may have been because 25x on the kahles was relatively bad for its price point.

Don’t read a ton into that, it’s still really good. I just don’t feel it resolves as well at 25x as other optics in the price tier.

When I was running all kahles, I chose them for the reticle and overall features.