• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kahles K525i vs Steiner M5Xi; 5-25x56

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Was about to pull the pin on a Steiner M5Xi 5-25Xi when a used, but not used much, Kahles K525i came up for sale local to me. Both about the same price. This isn't the updated Kahles 525 with the 10 mil per rotation turrets, it the older one with the 14 per rotation turrets and slightly narrower FoV.

Very similar specs between the scopes. Both 5-25x56. Both 34mm tubes. But the Kahles has parallax down to 20m vs 50m on the Steiner (potentially useful as I could put it on a 22LR while waiting for my .300 PRC to arrive sometime mid-year) and the Kahles seem from reading the spec sheet, slightly lighter and shorter. Lighter is always good assuming performance is the same. Both have the same MSR2 reticle which I'm happy with.

Any thoughts?

I'm a big fan of kahles and have had and still do have several. I also like steiner but it's an easy choice between the two. Kahles by a mile.

I racked my brain for a long time on $2500'ish glass for a rimfire build. I found a gently used K525i here on the PX and never looked back. I have never found myself wanting and I still grin whenever I look through it.
For comparison purposes, I was looking at all of the usual Mil/LEO discount suspects.

Reactions: simonp
Both are great options. If they have the same reticle, then decide which features/nuances you fancy and run with it. You can't go wrong.

Reactions: Arevalosocom
If glass quality is important, go with kahles. I don’t personally own either optic, but I have shot rifles with each multiple times. The image quality on the kahles stands out.

You gotta setup to the M7xi that compares allot better to the Khales. I had a DLR the only thing that was annoying was the shallow parrallax I was never able to set it at 400 yards and forget it like I can with the M7Xi. But that just my opinion.

The Kahles with the LSW is pretty sweet feature. I didn't care for the reticle tho.

They are both disappointing optics for the money glass wise. You picked the 2 worst glass companies in the mid/upper tier FYI. Much better options out there, although with rimfire you are limited to optics that go down to 20/25 m/y.

Anyone who thinks Kahles has good glass needs their eyes checked or has never looked through actual good glass before.

You can get a used or Demo 7-35 ATACR for just north of $2500 or grab a new Gen 3 razor for $2400 from LO. Both are significantly better all around optics.

Reactions: Lucas41