• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles K624i... How can you tell which gen. you have?

jdwhittles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
Sandlake, Oregon
I have seen a lot written about the differences in performance between the generations, but if you are looking at a used scope how can you know which gen. you have in your hands. I know that the turrets went from knurled to scalloped but I have seen some say that was from gen 1 to gen 2 and others say gen 2 to gen 3. Can those in the know share your knowledge?

The Gen 1 has the knurling. Gen 2 went to the scalloped. Gen 3 scope tubes have the option for the LSW. Other than that the Gen 2 and 3 are the same.

IMG_3396%20for%20Ben_zpsj6jxc5r2.jpg

This is a gen 1.

Last edited:
It was my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the Gen 1's were before the MSR-K reticle were available. The gen1s weren't around long. The gen 2s had upgraded glass a little I believe or coatings I think to deal with CA. They both had the knurled knobs like the pic above. The parallax knob also had detents at the different yardages.

The gen 3s had upgraded glass for even more light transmission, lost the detents in the parallax and had the scalloped knobs. I thought these also came with the option for the left side windage knob but maybe that's a gen 4 or 3b?? I have what I consider a gen 2 with the MSR-K and haven't paid all that much attention to the newer ones because I know if I did I would have had to buy another.

It was my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the Gen 1's were before the MSR-K reticle were available. The gen1s weren't around long. The gen 2s had upgraded glass a little I believe or coatings I think to deal with CA. They both had the knurled knobs like the pic above. The parallax knob also had detents at the different yardages.

The gen 3s had upgraded glass for even more light transmission, lost the detents in the parallax and had the scalloped knobs. I thought these also came with the option for the left side windage knob but maybe that's a gen 4 or 3b?? I have what I consider a gen 2 with the MSR-K and haven't paid all that much attention to the newer ones because I know if I did I would have had to buy another.

I think the parallax detents might have gone away mid gen 2.

How does the glass quality differ between the generations?

Reactions: dldavis
Gen 1 and 2 both had the knurled turrets, gen 3 came out with scallops. Lowlight is correct about the detents in the parallax, but a lot of guys sent in the gen 1s to have the detent removed (it was quick and easy for them to do). Easy to ID a gen 3 with the different (scalloped) turrets, harder to tell gen 1 from 2. There were some differences in available reticles from gen 1 to 2 but again you could send a gen 1 in and get the MSR reticle for a fee.
If you really want to know whether it is gen 1 or 2 best way is to call in the serial number. What you had in the gen 2 was upgraded lens coating. I had multiple gen 1s and 2s and could never tell the difference between them. Had a bunch of guys look through both also (without telling them which was 'better') and it was always like flipping a coin. No consensus. I still have a gen 1 on a hunting rifle and love it. Am using gen 3 on match rifle cause I like the SKMR 3 and they won't fit the older ones with that reticle. They never had to upgrade mechanicals, as they have always been solid.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious to know a few things...

I just purchased a new K624i RSW CCW with the SKMR4 reticle. I'm assuming this is a Gen4 version, based on the reticle? Is there any upgrades to the glass, coatings, etc... over previous gens? Just curious to know more info.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious to know a few things...

I just purchased a new K624i RSW CCW with the SKMR4 reticle. I'm assuming this is a Gen4 version, based on the reticle? Is there any upgrades to the glass, coatings, etc... over previous gens? Just curious to know more info.
I am fairly sure that there is no such thing as a Gen 4. Its a Gen 3 scope you have and I dont know about the glass.
I had a Gen 3 with the MSR reticle about a year back, it was a nice scope and I could have kept it, but didnt.

Reactions: FuhQ