• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes kahles k624i MSR gen II purple hazing photos! ..opinions ?

scotty615

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2014
victoria australia
g'day all! scott from aus here!

Owned my kahles scope for a while now and been happy with it shooting paper at 100m during load development and did read about some reports of purple hazing before i purchased it ..i also read about a lot of people saying that the glass in the kahles is comparable to stiener, Schmidt ,vortex razor so i took the plunge and got my first high end scope ...the reason im posting isn't to make a complaint in any way just looking to compare to other peoples k624i's.. or what schmidt owners think of this compared to there pmII ...i myself have never looked through any other high end scope's other than one ior valdada witch i think did have better glass with no purple hazing but didnt have them side by side...

so today i took about 30 photos trying to take the best example of what my kahles looks like a 24x power
...noticing substantial purple hazing at anything over 16 power and blurring to the edges ,just not the clearest picture

so ill post a picture at 6x power and 12x witch are fine and two of the best i took at 24x and they do give a pretty clear example of what im seeing..

so just after opinions of other kahles owners and anyone else who would suggest it worth being going to ior valdada or stiener for my next scope

(photos of scope are unedited)

the reason why this concerns me is because shooting 12inch steel plates at 1080yd's the steel plate really dosen't look very crisp at all and if i wanna try shoot a tight group at 600 and zoom right in on it...
its just soured my experience with this scope slightly

whats your opinion is this normal ?

24x3.jpg24x.jpg12x.jpg6x.jpg

think the best way to view them is to open them save it on you pc and view through windows photo gallery photos are 4600x3400 pixels

rem700krg.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say that I've noticed the purple hazing you speak of or the edge fuzziness with mine. Compared to my brother's PMII 5-25, we both came to the conclusion that the Kahles actually had better clarity on the edges. Not much help, but that's my experience with these scopes. In my opinion, I wouldn't look to IOR or Steiner to replace it as neither of those scopes I've looked through have been in the same ballpark as the Kahles.

I can't say that I've noticed the purple hazing you speak of or the edge fuzziness with mine. Compared to my brother's PMII 5-25, we both came to the conclusion that the Kahles actually had better clarity on the edges. Not much help, but that's my experience with these scopes. In my opinion, I wouldn't look to IOR or Steiner to replace it as neither of those scopes I've looked through have been in the same ballpark as the Kahles.

by the sounds of things these scopes might be a little hit and miss then depending on what day it came out the factory :( ....ideally i wouldn't mind looking through another side by side otherwise hearing from people who have returned theirs to have it looked at / repaired

What you are referring to is called chromatic aberration and it will make it's presence known by either purple or green fringing. When you increase magnification you are zooming into any imperfections in the objective lens set. CA is an indicator of an issue with the glass and or the prescription being out of spec. A properly designed and executed objective either an ED doublet or an apochromatic triplet will be sharp and crisp even at the highest magnifications. Don't wanna burst your bubble but bottom line there is an issue with your scope and I have heard this mentioned several times about these Kahles scopes.

I've been shooting behind my K624i AMR since late April, and have nothing but praise for the scope's tracking, accuracy, & optical quality. No visible purple fringing or CA whatsoever on my first one. Just received another identical model Kahles, but have only had time to get it mounted, and haven't shot with it yet. But from what I've seen so far, it seems pretty much identical optically speaking to the 1st one.

Could it be possible that the lens of your camera is the source of the fringing you're seeing? If it's not visible except in your photos, I'd certainly wonder about it from that perspective.

I've been shooting behind my K624i AMR since late April, and have nothing but praise for the scope's tracking, accuracy, & optical quality. No visible purple fringing or CA whatsoever on my first one. Just received another identical model Kahles, but have only had time to get it mounted, and haven't shot with it yet. But from what I've seen so far, it seems pretty much identical optically speaking to the 1st one.

Could it be possible that the lens of your camera is the source of the fringing you're seeing? If it's not visible except in your photos, I'd certainly wonder about it from that perspective.
Except the OP did not say that it is only noticeable in the camera. He did say that it was hard to get a picture that showed what he was seeing through the scope at higher magnifications (my paraphrase of what I read).

I do not own one and have no reason to care one way or the other, but I think that the once-ler has identified the problem.

From what I've read, neither the OP nor others are bashing the Kahles, just asking if others have had this issue with theirs. I think he wanted to find out if it was common or if he needed to have his looked at. I could be worng, but that's what I took from it.

The first Gen scopes had a CA issue, some had image sharpness problems too. In the Gen 2 scopes, these issues have been addressed. I'm not sure when you got yours or when the Gen 2 transition occurred, but yours looks like a gen1 image.

nope unfortunately not ...that purple fringing visible in the photos is also visible with my eyes ...its also visible zooming in on objjects only 100m away like a powerline pole it apears only at the top of objects and i never thought much of it ive had this scope 6mnths now and been quite happy but ive only recently had the chance to go out and shoot long range the other week and its been a little disapointing where it count ....im going to go out again today and spend another hour just glassing with it and check my eyes haha but those photos where picking up the hazing in the scope

Last edited:
The first Gen scopes had a CA issue, some had image sharpness problems too. In the Gen 2 scopes, these issues have been addressed. I'm not sure when you got yours or when the Gen 2 transition occurred, but yours looks like a gen1 image.

i got mine early this year new enough to be gen2 also it has the free floating dot in the centre of the msr reticle witch ive read is a gen2 msr used in gen2 k624i's

Last edited:
I had a gen1 with poor sharpness at range and noticeable CA. I now have a Gen 2 and image sharpness is great at all ranges and CA is gone

I talked with them and they said gen1s had varying degrees of issue on both, I have neither seen nor heard of gen2s with those problems.