• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles,Steiner or Schmidt & Bender Scope

WhiskeyUniform

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2018
Helle Gents,

I`ve bought a Steiner Military 3-15x50 with MSR reticle for my Blaser this year.
I?m very happy with it.

So I want to buy a new scope for my HK MR308 too. It now has a Minox. But I want a MSR reticle and FFP.

Now I had a look at scopes from three different manufactures.

Primary I want to use the Rifle and Scope for hunting. But also sometimes on the range, up to 800 meters.

And here`re the candidates:

Kahles K312i:

Pro: good price
parlax on the top
Con: magnification max. 12

Kahles K318i

Pro: higher magnification
very short, only 313 mm
Con: expensive

Schmidt & Bender PM II 3-20

Pro: high magnification
proven
Con: expensive
position of illumination button

Steiner Military M5xi 3-15

Pro: good price
good magnification range
Con: I think it`s not so bright then the S&B or Kahles

I`m looking forward to hear your opinions. Please don`t recommend other manufactures. I want a German or Austrian Mil Mil scope.
It would also be good that only those reply wo have or had one or more of these scopes.

Thanks in advance

Whiskey

Which Minox do you have?

I've had all the scopes you're looking for except the K318i and have been much, much happier with my Minox Zp5 than all the rest. If you're not interested in the ZP5, I'd probably wait for the Steiner M7xi to come out but the other's aren't bad choices if you don't feel like waiting.

Reactions: WhiskeyUniform
I have the Minox ZA 5i 3-15x56 SF. It`s a very good scope. But as I said, I want the MSR reticle and FFP.

@WhiskeyUniform those are some great choices and we'd be happy to assist you if you call us at 916-670-1103. We're a huge fan of the Kahles offereings and this was a personal K318i with the MSRK.

37592130_2149774998398335_3501988029600366592_n.jpg

Reactions: Daniel.civi.308
I think you have nailed the options. I would add S&B 5-20, but pretty close to the 3-20. I love the MSR reticle, and MSR2 is a great improvement.

Kahles 318i, S&B 3-20 US and Steiner M5Xi are all good options. I agree with your assessment that the glass on Steiner is not quite Kahles, but I think it is as good as S&B. I would not discount Steiner. In the FWIW column, they now have a RAL8000 option in 3-15x as well.

The problem is I am in love with each of these scopes, so it will depend upon which one you fall in love with. We find some S&B scopes that are not that much more than Kahles. Any of these choices are good ones.

Reactions: Joe hart
Why don't you buy the show demo NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 with the MIL-R from Eurooptic instead $2059.00?

Somebodies got to buy it I've already bought 2 NF's from Mile High's demo & blem sale and I shouldn't buy another but it's taunting me.

x42 is too less for hunting. As I wrote in my first post, I want no other manufacturer.

Oh ya that's right you don't want anything to get too thin on you for hunting well you seem to have it figured out.

I have both a Steiner M5 and a Khales K624i with MSR reticles. I prefer the Khales reticle with the floating center dot, and I like the parallex position on the Khales as well.

All good choices.

M5Xi 5-25 has been in production with MSR2 since summer already. MSR2 has dot center.

Not any of the scopes you mentioned, though the same rifle you have. MR762 thfitted with a TT315P. Phenomenal scope!! I don’t have any of the scopes you mentioned. But I do own 2 ATAR’s also. And they all are great scopes.
A75FA2E9-4CF1-46C8-869E-930133FCFDFE.jpeg

And MR556 fitted with a ATACR 4-16 F1
1E1E8DE7-E004-4217-B8AD-E6ECAD6AEB57.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
S&B is a good choice and will perform well above 800meters

Except for one S&B scope, I run only NF and the 4-16x42F1 is a favorite of mine on hunting rifles and AR platforms. Currently I have 2 hunting rifles sharing one NF and I have been given real consideration to a Kahles 318i for one of them. Only thing holding me back is reticle choice but the SKMR3 is growing on me.
If Kahles offered a TReMoR3, i'd already own one.

On S&B you are right in my opinion about the illumination knob being poorly placed. Aside from that, the S&B would be a fine choice.

I would definately go for the Steiner scope, even the M5Xi or the M7Xi. It's one of the best scopes ever built. Extremely good mechanicly design and a cristial clear picture.

1. S&B PMII 3-20×50
2. Kahles K318i 3-18×50
3. Steiner M5Xi 3-15×50

Personally, I would add Tangent Theta TT315P to the mix. At either #1 or #1.5. And if you want lighter, TT315M.

Hello Gents,

I already have the Steiner M5Xi on my Blaser. Now I ordered the Minox ZP5 for my HK MR308. Let`s see how it works.

Thank you all for your help!

kind regards
WU