• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kahr pm9 What do you think

InTheFace

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
North Texas
This is my first post!

Does anybody have any experience with these super small Kahr's? This would possibly be a back up weapon or for concealed carry. They are not cheap so I need to have an idea. I have a keltec , I just don't know if I could really depend on it if things went South.

P

Re: Kahr pm9 What do you think

The OP is a bud of mine from another forum.

I really like my PM9. Small enough to fit in my pocket so I am still able to carry when I am wearing t-shirt and shorts.
Kahrs are pretty well made. They feature good fit and finish, nicely polished feed ramps and smooth triggers that don't seem to stack much. The chambers are relatively tighter and therefore the gun may be picky about ammo. That being said, my PM9 has not had any feeding issues since completion of the recommended break-in. I have been shooting Winchester white box 9mm, CCI Blazer brass 9mm and Federal HST 124 grain.
What I am really impressed with is the accuracy of the pistol. Recoil is very manageable despite the small package.

I have heard 5,000 rounds and they're worn out.

Not a PM but I run a covert, it's the mirco frame and standard slide, all stell. No problems other than weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard 5,000 rounds and they're worn out.</div></div>

I have not heard of any problems with the kahrs, I have heard from two gun dealers that the S&W sigma has that problem but only the 380 version. But that was years ago...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my PM9. Small enough to fit in my pocket so I am still able to carry when I am wearing t-shirt and shorts.
Kahrs are pretty well made. They feature good fit and finish, nicely polished feed ramps and smooth triggers that don't seem to stack much. The chambers are relatively tighter and therefore the gun may be picky about ammo. That being said, my PM9 has not had any feeding issues since completion of the recommended break-in. I have been shooting Winchester white box 9mm, CCI Blazer brass 9mm and Federal HST 124 grain.
What I am really impressed with is the accuracy of the pistol. Recoil is very manageable despite the small package. </div></div> +1 Agree w/ above post. Have not heard of this "lifespan" rumor. Others have documented three-four times that amount. With proper maintenance and replacing springs when needed it will be GTG. Just make sure to read the owners manual. It answers a lot of the most common "why" questions.

you might consider the mk9 all steel version. They are made better and the added weight helps with the recoil. I think they are more accurate than the poly frame guns.

Check out the CW9 also. It can be had for under $400. It is only very slightly bigger than the PM9. Same width, just a tad longer in the slide and grip. It fit me better. Wears great, conceals great.

Highly recommend.

I've got a T9 with about 5k through it without "wearing out", and I had a TP9 before that with about 3k rounds through it. I liked it, but the grip was to small for me to hold reliably so I went with the steel frame. I like kahrs a lot, but I wish the trigger pull wasn't quite so long.

My PM40 can be a handful, but disceet as an Irishman's pecker.
More accurate than my HK USPc in 40. It MUST be broken in before it's worth a damn. My neighbor hated his until I shot 250 rounds through it for him, now he loves it.

Be warned if you get one you may end up like this guy:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ATo_XDNmaow"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ATo_XDNmaow" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Notice the loaded pistol drawn from his back pocket at a gun range.

notice how close that target was ? LOL heck, u could just place rounds on target mid draw at that range. the target was moving back as he was wasting rounds. And is that tape on his glasses ?

p.s. mine jamed alot, could not trust it. sent it back to kahr on my dime, which ticked me off considering it was new. still did not work, then had to send it again on my dime. after it was fixed sold it. never will I support that company again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">notice how close that target was ? LOL heck, u could just place rounds on target mid draw at that range. the target was moving back as he was wasting rounds. <span style="font-weight: bold">And is that tape on his glasses ? </span>
</div></div>

YES!!!!

he can't buy glasses...gotta pay kahr's crazy prices!

I really like my PM-9.. I had heard that there was a break in period of around 500rds...
So for the first couple of range trips I shot only ball ammo... After the initial 500 my PM has been quite reliable, and will feed Speer Gold dot without a hitch..
I would also like to add that in the first 500 I had no malfunctions either..

One other tidbit... I was told not to top off the mag after a round is chambered.. If you have 6rd mags, you have a 6rd gun.. I have followed that advice and mine works. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.. YMMV

Thanks for the replies. It is probably what im going to go with. From what I see other than price to much it is the most quality and probably the smallest pocket pistol out there. My life is worth an extra 200 bucks to me for the difference. I have held the all stainless but I want the lightest I can get. Another reason Im looking at the 9mm.

I've had mine for a couple of months; sent about 250 rounds thru it with no problems... I love the light weight; it's not too much to shoot, and very accurate for such a small firearm... I too don't think you'll regret it...

I can only speak for my pistols, but…

My PM9 has been absolutely reliable with everything I’ve fed it. Carry loads are; Win 127+P+ or GD 124+P. Using the +P+, it's a little snappy, with its relatively short grip, but that's what makes it appealing as a hide-out and B/U gun in the first place. When carried, mine will be found stuffed in a cowboy boot or pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

With the short barrel and +P+ rounds, if you somehow miss, at least you'll set their clothes on fire
grin.gif

First I've heard of the alleged 5k round durability rumor. My PM9 probably has a little more than half that but still looks new, no peening anywhere. I won't tell my P9 about the rumor, it's got 6K+ now and doesn’t look any different than the PM9. Wouldn't want it to feel past it's prime
wink.gif
I’ve long ago lost round count on my K9, but it is certainly double that and then some.

While my PM9 wears AE Tritium Big Dots my other 4 Kahrs wear Trijicon NS. LEOSA quals only go back to 15yds, but are a snap to ace in a fraction of the allocated time, even with the Big Dots.

All my Kahrs have been well broken-in, but none really required it as they all worked great throughout the 2-300 rounds "pre-carry" work-up each went through. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I do trust them as much as any mechanical object and more than most.

The only reliability issues I'd seen with any of the Kahrs were by other Agents who were problem shooters in the first place. Take a firm grip and shoot like your life depended on it and I doubt you’ll have any problems.

Only negatives I’ve seen are the tendency of some K9/P9 mags to accidently strip the top round when carried bare in a pocket and the relatively longer trigger re-set, if you are used to, say a 1911 pattern pistol.

I currently shoot a Sig Dak most often so the long trigger pull isn't going to mess with me much.

I have had a PM9 for about 6 months. Quite happy with it, it is accurate. I broke it in with hardball and carry Cor Bon 115 JHP, which it feeds reliably. A very concealable 9MM pistol.

Randy P.

I dont know about the pm9 but I got a pm45 and love it. YES I did have problems with it. It was called magtech ammo. Not enough powder to cycle it back and the quality control on that junk does not exist. Jamming etc... I was trying to go the cheap route in breaking it in. BIG mistake. USE GOOD AMMO. The manufacturer suggests 200 rds for break in. I have read after shooting 2000rds you should start considering spring replacement. FOR a 3 1/4 barrel this thing is crazy accurate. Recoil is nothing to me. I bought this for my wife and she is about 125lbs. I did not buy this to take to the range every week. With the cost of ammo why? IF you can find a pm45 consider it.

The Kahr PM9 is solid and probably a good value given its quality. I was looking for a true pocket pistol, which puts definite constraints on the maximum size. I was hoping that I could find a 9mm that would serve this role, vs a 380. Keep in mind the PM9 is about the smallest 9mm you can get.

So, when I finally got to compare a PM9, Ruger LCP, and Keltec side by side, my decision was quickly made. The PM9 was simply too fat in my opinion to be a true pocket pistol. I really wanted to use a 9mm over 380, but if its too big, you're not going to carry it all the time. The 380 pistols were the only ones small enough to be called pocket pistols in my humble opinion. I'm not a big guy, so maybe some of you have more spacious pockets to fit those 9mms in. :)

I've owned a PM9 for about four years, and it performs very well. I have put about 1000 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

Having talked to several dealers, Kahr seems to have about an 80% success rate with regard to the weapons they send out.

I purchased a P45 and had TERRIBLE results - stovepipes about every 25 rounds, light strikes, not going into battery, and accuracy. As others have said, I sent the gun back to Kahr about 5 times only to find out that it was the followers in two of my magazines. I wrote the CEO, and the head of customer service personally called me to discuss the problem. I was VERY IMPRESSED with this, but YOU CAN'T BRING CUSTOMER SERVICE TO A GUNFIGHT.

As of August 2007, their top customer service fellow was Bob Holmes. His work number is (508) 635-1425. He even gave me his cell number.

I sold the P45 quickly thereafter. I just wouldn't trust my life to it.

I do, however, carry my PM9 with confidence, and I have a buddy who carries the PM40 regularly as well.

I own a p45 and have had similar problems apart from the fact that it ejects rounds into the middle of my forehead with a standard weaver stance...got a nasty burn from one of them...

Have the CW9 and so far I am impressed. Ordered some spare magazines and will continue testing until I get through about 500 rounds.

My daily CCW is a Kahr PM40. Through the break in period of 250+ rounds, I only had 4 or 5 stovepipes/FTF issues. Now it has many more rounds through it, and it cycles and shoots great. I highly recommend the Kahr's, and their customer service is great. My PM40 will sometimes break the magazine follower. I called up Kahr, and they sent me 3 of them. I have broken 2 of them. This is over countless rounds.

Also, the Pearce grip extensions on the 5 round mags do not work too well. The pinky finger pulls the magazine during recoil, and causes rounds to fail to chamber. Once I took the Pearce grip off, problem solved.

On another note, the magazine release button is right where I put my thumb. Sometimes during recoil I would slightly put pressure on the mag release, and cause the next round to fail to chamber. I solved this by glueing a thick piece of rubber just before the mag release. This gives my thumb somewhere to set and does not allow the mag release button to be pressed during recoil.

I have carried a PM9 for about two years now, and I'm very happy with it. It's just the ticket for t-shirt and shorts weather, as others have mentioned. I have experienced no stoppages or issues of any kind with mine, and it was actually 100% through the recommended break-in period as well.

Here's an article by Ayoob you might want to check out:

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_cbh08.html

I don't own one, I don't like the fit,finish and feeding that I've seen on 2 of them in the 40SW version.

To get them into a little package the feed ramp is very abrupt, with factory FP ball 40SW both guys were jamming at least once per magazine. It was not mag dependent, we played with the mags over and over again trying to see if that was the issue.

I'd pass on it personally and either keep that KelTec or go get a Glock 26. I've had pretty good results whooping on the KelTec my dad owns, and we all know how reliable and abuse loving Glocks are.