• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing KAK barrel and gas block dimples ?

misparkz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
Michigan
I picked up an 8" KAK Special 300blk pistol barrel for a new build and need help figuring out a gas block. I couldn't find anywhere on their site where it specified the spacing of the gas block dimples. I assumed it would be either .4 or .45 and was planning to put a SLR adjustable on it. Once it arrived I measured center to center to be .43 so I emailed KAK and they replied spacing was .425 and their gas block works. I'm guessing .4 and .45 is a standard as that's all I see the blocks offered in and kind of perplexed why KAK would do a proprietary spacing on their barrels. I don't see any other complaints of this online so am I missing something? KAK only has a fixed non adjustable block available. KAK barrels and blocks are only deigned to work paired together?

The hole in the gas block is usually much larger than the gas port in the barrel.
Take a piece of spaghetti and drop it in the gas port of the barrel and cut flush.
Slide gas block on barrel slightly tighten one screw.
Turn the barrel up and down while looking down the barrel, when the piece of spaghetti moves back and forth freely, tighten screws....done.
Take cleaning rod and knock out the piece of spaghetti.

The hole in the gas block is usually much larger than the gas port in the barrel.
Take a piece of spaghetti and drop it in the gas port of the barrel and cut flush.
Slide gas block on barrel slightly tighten one screw.
Turn the barrel up and down while looking down the barrel, when the piece of spaghetti moves back and forth freely, tighten screws....done.
Take cleaning rod and knock out the piece of spaghetti.
Good idea for someone looking to align the gas block but that wasn't the question

:rolleyes: two screws .40" or .45" center to center will not fit in two holes .425" center to center
Anybody else have any suggestions? I'm leaning toward going with a clamp on but I was wondering about trying to oblong the rear mounting dimple. Dimple under the gas port would be GTG and would keep it from ever moving.