• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing karsten rest

bulldurham

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2005
ky
was wondering if somone could trace out a karsten cheek rest on a piece of paper from one side to the other for a home prodject. thanks

Re: karsten rest

I made one for my manners stock, and it turned out good I think. I made it from kevlar weave and gel coating.

5190.jpg

Just take your time and think about how you want it to be shaped, how high, position on the stock, etc.....it's gratifying when you do a project and it comes out well. Good luck!!!

that is a great job, exactly what i am wanting to do. i am using a piece of kydex. just need a pattern to go by. some guys just like to make things not buy them.

I will say this, I started with a piece of poster board and made a templet around my stock. Then I made a "jig" for the check rest out of wood, and cut the wood to a form like a buttstock. Then I used spray adhesive and wax paper to cover the jig. Add resin to the wax paper and then I started to add my kelvar weave layer by layer putting resin in between each layer. After the top layer I would put alot of resin and then wax paper again and smooth out the resin as best as possible to finish. Let dry and take it off the jig.

Then I took my templet and layed it over the now hardened kevlar and cut out the shape on a band saw, sanded the edges, cut my slots and positioned it for my cheek weld, and added the hardware. PRESTO!!!!! Cheek rest for about $15-20. Just my $.02 worth.